Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a friend, and it was definitely was a 2 man job, especially since we avoided pulling any ball joints, making manouvering the spring/strut assembly off and on the car a little exciting, what with all the jumping on brake rotors that was required. But it wasn't that hard. If the Konis were new in box and had all the bits they needed (they weren't, and they didn't :p), it would have been almost boring!

Springs are Tein H-techs and shocks are Koni Yellows. On friday we installed some used neuspeed sports on the front (no time for the rears) and I bought the teins the next day...it was insane. With the neuspeeds and konis on the front, the front wheels were way inside the fenders. I didn't think a sport spring was supposed to dump the car like that. I took it for a spin around the block and scraped everything there was to scrape on. The H-techs are softer, but a more reasonable drop.

Anyway, pics from my 4 year old digi cam. Two thin fingers clearance up front, two fatter fingers in the rear, which is down from something like 4 fingers or more before.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice drop, different springs on front and rears wow.. How does the ride feel, I remember riding on a friends car that had different springs in the back and front. It felt weird going through corners, it wasnt stabilized

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
bmanuhutu said:
Nice drop, different springs on front and rears wow.. How does the ride feel, I remember riding on a friends car that had different springs in the back and front. It felt weird going through corners, it wasnt stabilized
Heh, I absolutely didn't push it went I went around the block on neuspeed/koni on the front and stock/stock on the back, don't worry. I just wanted to see if it could still drive before we called it a night ;)

My friend took some pictures of the neuspeed/stock "setup" on friday with a film camera, so I might post them up when and if he develops them. It really was so bad that I had to buy the teins and install them the next day.

Konis are really fun though. Even with pansy-ass H-tech springs the Konis will give the car a stiff ride if they're dialed up enough.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Looks nice :) great job!

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SCGMafia said:
do you know how much of a drop is that in terms of inches?
Tein claims a little less than an inch for the H-tech, in the 0.7/0.8 range, but I'm not sure how much it actually worked out to. When I put the Neuspeed fronts on (-1.7in, in theory), it looked like I had race springs or bottomed out coilovers on there...

I'd guess about an inch on the front (with the Konis on the lower of two spring perches), and a little less than that on the rear (Konis on the middle of 3 perches).

Thanks for all the props. I too love the look of slammed ludes, but I also couldn't drive around in one every day...so I settled for this :p

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Looks good... I drive around in my lude all the time with Neuspeed sports/Iluma shocks AND an OEM body kit and I never scrape or bottom out...it's all about knowing how and IF you can get into/out of a parking lot entrance before you "TRY"! hah.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
JLude said:
Looks good... I drive around in my lude all the time with Neuspeed sports/Iluma shocks AND an OEM body kit and I never scrape or bottom out...it's all about knowing how and IF you can get into/out of a parking lot entrance before you "TRY"! hah.
I was thinking of you when I bought the used neuspeeds, because I've seen your lude before and like the drop...

And when I actually got the front neuspeeds on, I had something completely different on my hands. The front tires were well above the bottom of the fender. At full steering lock I practically needed a feeler gauge to measure the clearance between the wheel and fender...and that was with noone in the car.

I have no pics of it, but it looked a bit like this car's front wheels...

I have no idea why they were like that, because it's so inconsistent with what I thought they would be. I needed to finish the swap the next day so I ran out and bought the Teins...which is too bad, since they have kinda wimpy spring rates.

I wish I lived in Arizona, cuz then I would have just bought coilovers :p

·
Test PipE MasTeR
1,488 Posts
i hav the s techs and i hav the same drop all around but i think mine are green not gold?

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
perhaps you bought some used springs that someone had cut? they shouldn't have been that low. With the stock wheels and my neuspeeds I still have 1/2" gap between fender and top of tire when viewed from the side of the car.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just went down to the garage to check. They appear to be uncut as far as I can tell... The ends of the coils are all of similar texture, they're all covered in green like the rest of the springs, and in both cases the end of the top is 180 degrees offset from the end of the bottom.

Unlike both my stockers and H-techs, though, they didn't have a flattened top coil.

I know the springs are resting on the bottom of two possible spring perches on the front konis, but that still is only about one finger's worth of distance vs the upper perch. Put up against my stock shocks the lower perch is not much lower than the stock shock's perch.

*shrug* Oh well. I might swap the neuspeed rears in eventually, since when I put them up against the H-techs on the driveway,theywere almost the same height. (The fronts were dissimilar)

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SCGMafia said:
What's Arizona have to do with it?
Arizona or any of those states down there...

See, up near the North Pole there is this country called "Canada". Unlike the US Southwest, we have this time of the year that usually lasts 10 months called "winter". During this 10 month period rain, sleet, snow, road salt, road goo, and that brown stuff kicked up by trucks gets everywhere. :p

In all seriousness if I was to get coilovers (Teins or GCs) realistically I would have had to swap them out every winter or have the nice threads that allow for the adjustability turn into gunk and rust. That wasn't something I'm prepared to do...lugging around the snow tires every November/April is enough for me, thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts