Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I got myself some ksport coilovers a week ago and when I was installing them with my mechanic, he couldnt take the lower control arm off to install the coilovers cuz apparently the bolts were rusted through so the only way is to cut them. Just wondering what kind of bolts do I need for the lower control arm? I just ordered the control arms from ebay so I just need some bolts now.

Thanks,
JYLude

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I would just get honda replacemnts for the bolts. You can check http://hondapartsnow.com it will be listed under chassis. They probably say what size they are if you wanted grade 8 from hardwarestore.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just buy some new ones from Honda, your not going to pay to much more than you would at a hardware store.

·
the roserich luder
450 Posts
I replaced mine and a whole bunch of other rusted bolts and nuts. I got them from hondapartsunlimited.com

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I feel like I am the ONLY person who hasn't ever run into a rustred control arm bolt on hondas.

Maybe I'm magic?

·
Premium Member
9,127 Posts
I feel like I am the ONLY person who hasn't ever run into a rustred control arm bolt on hondas.

Maybe I'm magic?
Yes, you are the magic man. :)

Of the 5 3rd gens I've owned, 3 of them have had seized LCA bolts. They are usually seized on the junkyard cars when I've tried removing them as well. I coat the bolts with anti-seize compound when I install the LCA bolts now, and I've never had another one seize on me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, you are the magic man. :)

Of the 5 3rd gens I've owned, 3 of them have had seized LCA bolts. They are usually seized on the junkyard cars when I've tried removing them as well. I coat the bolts with anti-seize compound when I install the LCA bolts now, and I've never had another one seize on me.
nice, Ill definitely do that when I install mine. Can anyone tell me why part 24 is not present?? http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=32&productID=6&yearID=30&doorID=1&gradeID=422&areaID=2&transmissionID=5&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=6&idAndImageID=5703%20936902&isBigPicture=False&pageName=Rear%20Lower%20Arm

It only appears in the 4WS trim... it should be the same right??

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Its not the same between two and four wheel if I remember right. On 2ws the control arm bolt is standard and only the tie rod bar thing has an eccentric (believe that is what its called) bolt to adjust the toe. 4ws has an eccentric bolt on the control arm bolt as well as adjustable tie rods.

I'm unsure why the 4ws would require the ability to move the control arm out/in and 2ws wouldn't... But thats how my car was I'm pretty sure.

You'll either have 23 or 24 I think depending on 4ws or not. I think. I'm on my phone so I can't check the picture again without deleting all my hard replying.

·
Premium Member
16,747 Posts
No there is not eccentric bolt on the outer lower control arm, it would be on the inside of the lower lower control arm.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Sorry, you'll have 24 on a 4ws, otherwise you get 36. Also on 2ws I believe that bolt threads through into a captive nut or welded nut on the front of the sub frame

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, you'll have 24 on a 4ws, otherwise you get 36. Also on 2ws I believe that bolt threads through into a captive nut or welded nut on the front of the sub frame
ahh ok.. so what i should get for the rusted bolts on my rear control arm? where should i get it??? or what should i geT?

·
Registered
561 Posts

Maybe I'm magic?
I have been very fortunate that my car is completely rust free and never had a bolt be seized up. A rod bearing on the other hand is a different story.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
ahh ok.. so what i should get for the rusted bolts on my rear control arm? where should i get it??? or what should i geT?
Are you taking about the bolts that hold the strut to the control arm? If so I would go to honda or maybe an auto parts store and ask for them. Otherwise you wouldn't have any issues running high grade home depot hardware in the rear. Grade 8 or metric equivalent. I wouldn't trust anything but factory up front though. However I have been accused of over caution in such cases

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why is you guys go on and on and on about bolt grades and saftey and even eccentric bolts, but not one person, anywhere really, can answer the question? Which is what is the bolt size/thread size? Example M12x1.25x length or whatever the actual size!

Fact of the matter is Honda simply wants to much money for a 23 year old car and its just 1 bolt; it should not cost me 14 dollars plus shipping for 1 damn bolt.

That being said and because I am about to replace the control arm bolts and bushings on my car. I will simply let you all know what the bolt size/thread size actually is.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
That being said and because I am about to replace the control arm bolts and bushings on my car. I will simply let you all know what the bolt size/thread size actually is.
Finding the bolt and thread size is extremely easy to do.
But if you just get any bolt that size and ignore the grade of the bolt you would be retarded.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I can't remember the specs on that thing, and I'm not looking it up for ya, but I do remember I couldn't find anything comparable in hardware stores when I was looking...

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
prices were determined from when the car is new and then I know of atleast 2 years honda has had an across the board percentage increase at the first week of july each year. for thread pitch that is never documented anywhere online but it has been my experiance that it is usualy the medium thread pitch. The length and size all you have to do is look at http://hondapartsnow.com online parts catalog discription. For the rear inner ecentric bolts most would say unless you have lots of time on your hands and a welder that it is just easier and cheaper to buy the bolt with eccentric washer on it already that is if it is still available. x2 on getting 8grade or metric equivalent higher. I forget what the metric system uses. I think it is class like around 10.9

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Why is you guys go on and on and on about bolt grades and saftey and even eccentric bolts, but not one person, anywhere really, can answer the question? Which is what is the bolt size/thread size? Example M12x1.25x length or whatever the actual size!

Fact of the matter is Honda simply wants to much money for a 23 year old car and its just 1 bolt; it should not cost me 14 dollars plus shipping for 1 damn bolt.

in part, because the original question is damned incomplete.

1) there are four bolts (three styles) in each rear lower control arm if you are taking it off (which the OP says he is doing). the OP does not say which of those four bolts he is having an issue with. [inner bushing, strut bushing, two radius rod bolts]

2) there are two different cars possible [2ws and 4ws], and they use different bolts on the inner bushing.

so, we don't know which one of four possible different bolts in one of five different locations is causing his problem.

further, some suspension hardware has been discontinued by honda, so the source of replacements is not constant. some of the discontinued hardware is highly specialized, so they aren't going to be found on a shelf at Lowes, adding more complexity to the search.

finally, any or all of these bolts have been known to seize or gall, so we can't just guess at which one is most common.

if you are looking for the inner lower control arm bolt for a 2ws car (#36 in the drawing) it's a 14x77. most of honda's 14mm bolts are 1.5 pitch.

if you are looking for the strut bolt for the rear lower control arm, it's a 12x93.5. most of honda's 12mm bolts are 1.25 pitch.

if you are looking for the inner lower control arm bolt for a 4ws car (#24 in the drawing), it's an eccentric and you'll have a hard time sourcing it from someone other than honda.

i hope the internet has answered your questions quickly and reliably enough. if it hasn't, i'm very sorry. normally, i'd be willing to see about getting you the bolt you need for a fair price since all three of these bolts are still available from honda, but i'm sure you can do far better at your local hardware store or salvage yard

good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So... I got myself some ksport coilovers a week ago and when I was installing them with my mechanic, he couldnt take the lower control arm off to install the coilovers cuz apparently the bolts were rusted through so the only way is to cut them. Just wondering what kind of bolts do I need for the lower control arm? I just ordered the control arms from ebay so I just need some bolts now.

Thanks,
JYLude
Hey I’m currently in the need for a control arm toe bolt that obviously I had to saw off if anybody has any idea on a aftermarket to get the job done it would be nice

1 - 20 of 22 Posts