Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im guessing i have to custom make a low profile oil pan?

can i just cut an inch or so off the sump part? it sticks down lower than my cross member and thats how it got punctured..... so my question is... can i take my old oil pan chop an inch or so off the bottom weld a new piece on and be done with it? or will i have oil flow problems? i would put the same amt of oil in it that i allways do but yeah... what do i do?

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Not enough room for an inch.
You'd have to modify the oil pick-up/strainer.
And you'd need to have less oil, which is a bad thing.

Probably better off makinmg a skid plate of some sort to protect the sump.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
never chop an oil pan. that removes oil capacity, which is a VERY bad thing. you'll loose oil pressure going up and down hills cuz you'll have significantly less oil in there, and it will slosh around causing the sump to pickup air. not good. i suggest scrapping that idea.

and if the oil pan is so close to the ground that it got punctured from ground contact, i would assume your entire downpipe is totally shredded, cuz thats lower than the oil pan. if your exhaust is ok, then you must have experienced some freak of nature object flinging up and puncturing your oil pan, which wouldnt be prevented with more clearance.

·
Rep me if you hate my ass
4,349 Posts
Why even bother? How low is too low? So low you can't even drive the thing?

--J

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
flylwsi said:
how would you cut an inch off the bottom and expect to still put the same amount of oil into the motor?
its called an oil reservoir...

like a small tank in addition to an oil cooler or something

easily can be done.

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
Your motor mounts may be broke or sagging, the bottom of the pan should not be lower then the front-to-rear crossmember...

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
My down pipe got a lil pinched before...how do u think that would affect performance, cuz i noticed a lil bit more of a push afterwards when i would hit the gas?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah my downpipe is all dented up .... gay since i bought it a month ago or so... anyways, you can use the same amt of oil because you dont fill up the entire space when you pour oil into the engine and iv seen low profile oil pans before, just never one for the lude, and what is that about a seperate can or something? i like that idea

my motor mounts are bad so if anyone has some i can get for cheep that would be great!

and i dont bottom it out much at all (the dents in the down pipe came from a friend... yeah dont ask...) and i deff cant think of bottoming it out when the oil pan got punctured so im guessing something flew up and hit it, my car sits about 3 ... maby 4 inches from the ground... everyone tells me im to low but... theres no such thing ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
MustardCat said:
Your motor mounts may be broke or sagging, the bottom of the pan should not be lower then the front-to-rear crossmember...
What I was thinking...

I had the same problem with downpipe damage as my car is only about 2-3 inches off the ground. I ended up redoing motor mounts and it helped ground clearance at the subframe considerably.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts