Honda Prelude Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I guess it depends. If running cams with heavy overlap you never idle that low. Out stock cams however are a long way from having any overlap (the reason they suck) so they can actually run a lower idle than that. The reason our idle isnt a lower setting is due to the lack of pistons, the fire events are so far apart the engine is far from smooth. If running autotragic transmission the higher will cause more ware on the trans. The clutch packs will slam when removed from p/n causing stress on the hard parts, and the higher rpm will cause more load on the torque converter when at a stop creating more heat, resulting in torque converter wear and accelerated fluid breakdown. The higher idle will also higher tail pipe emissions at idle. To low a idle can also impact emissions if the engine is unable to run smooth. If you can deal with the increase wear and noise, then I guess it isn't like really necessary. The increase in wear is kinda mute, it will wear anytime it is in operation.

Sorry for the late ass reply haven't been on here for a couple years haha but thanks for all the help dude I appreciate it

·
Registered
183 Posts
I dont think its been mentioned, but grab a can of carb cleaner and lightly spray it around the vacuum hoses while car is running. Listen for any change in idle speed....

I had to contribute something cus I really hate to clutter up the thread forum too. I thought long and hard b4 asking about my 4th gear not shifting. I asked ot have post deleted for issue is resolved...

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I had this issue on my 91 B21A1 it was caused by low compression on two of the 4 cylinders. Lower end of the motor was going quickly as well. I would suggest that if you have a B21A1 or even a B20A5 to do a compression check and see if the numbers are low and what the variables between the cylinders are. To be honest I'm not sure that your issue is with the fuel/intake system but of course I have not looked at your car. I ended up swapping my B21A1 and things have been awesome since. I have clocked 6K miles since the swap to a B20A3 motor with a B21A1 valve train. B21A1/B20A5 engines are like Unicorns as their condition when buying used can be highly suspect.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts