Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, whats the deal with lightened crank pulleys....well we all know the physics behind it. Do you gain power? no, you dont. If anything I felt throttle response (maybe i did, maybe i didnt. too hard to acknowledge so it doesnt count). So lets see how one holds up say over 5 years?

Ive come to conclude that these were made of 6000 series alloy and not 7000 (real 'aircraft alloy'). 6000 series alloy is prone to stress and vibration cracks. Clearly you can see that something jumpped up in my belts and had its way with my pulley. I took it off because the damaged pulley began to eat away at my belts and they began screaming. So I went back with the stock harmonic balancer which is ideal for absorbing vibration (I have a ton of that with my motor mounts). So im glad to be back to stock pulley after 5 years! hope the pics show what i mean.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha. basically what you should gain from this is that these things arent made to absorb vibration like harmonic balancers (basically fully of rubber or some sort of vibration absorbing material). These will eventually break dude to stress cracks because they arent made of the proper alloy. here you can see the outter rim cracked right off which then ate my belt. id never recommend them because they dont give you anything worth your investment and Ive proven that

what a fuckin waste of money :-(

·
Oh Gee
2,276 Posts
since were on the topic of crank pulleys..

what about the Euro R crank Pulley.. whats the differents of it vs a JDM H22a Crank Pulley...?

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
If you're in the market for an aftermarket crank pulley check out fluidampr, I think harmonichonda was selling his a while back but I dunno if he ended up keeping it. Harmonically balanced as well as being an underdrive accessory pulley.

Good to see some pics of what they end up as lol. I read something a while back about how endyn tore down a motor that had been running an aftermarket crank pulley and he said that it looks as if the bearings had a hard life lol. Bad news all around.

BTW my stock crank pully looks a lit like your aftermarket one in the sense that the PS belt part is all dinged up and missing chunks lol

·
IBALLHARD
1,461 Posts
If you're in the market for an aftermarket crank pulley check out fluidampr, I think harmonichonda was selling his a while back but I dunno if he ended up keeping it. Harmonically balanced as well as being an underdrive accessory pulley.

Good to see some pics of what they end up as lol. I read something a while back about how endyn tore down a motor that had been running an aftermarket crank pulley and he said that it looks as if the bearings had a hard life lol. Bad news all around.

BTW my stock crank pully looks a lit like your aftermarket one in the sense that the PS belt part is all dinged up and missing chunks lol
mine too!
just the PS belt part though.

if i would get an underdrive pulley it would be that fluidamp one.. they look like better quality.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to have an EuroR crank pulley. It doesnt have a PS rib on it. Its just alternator.

I was under the impression that fluidamper only makes B series harmonic balancers

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Ah you dont need p/s. do u still have the euro r???
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jesus christ guys 350-400+ for a fucking pulley....seriously? you can spend that money and get a tune and it will yeild more numbers!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I never really thought an aftermarket one would be worth-it in the end.
Maybe if I wanted to squeeze out all the power I could, then I could see it being worth it.

Bumping for more opinions.

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,102 Posts
Stuff like this is designed off a professional racing basis. Because every kid wants a GT car in their driveway, companies make money. Some are competent enough to know that these crank pulleys break, and on real tracks cars are maintained and parts like this are replaced on a daily/weekly basis (depending on the rigor). So, they design them very well while keeping in mind that the people who buy these will have them in their cars for years. Some companies on the otherhand try to dip their hand in the gravy and don't do such thinking, ending up in poor parts that can cause more damage than gain.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Unorthodox Racing believe stopped selling the alternator only H crank pulleys. Had issues. I wouldnt dare to throw a ebay pulley on a car.

Yes Honda Balancing is darn crucial... Even 9 sec. race cars have used OEM crank pulleys that tells you lil something. I too once used Unorthodox Alt. only crank pulley and took it off the minute the engine went.

If you want a Alternator Only Crank Pulley for the H call Hmotorsonline.com they sell the F20B crank pulley for under $100.

2nd Option have a machine shop put your OEM crank pulley on a lathe to make a alternator only crank pulley but make sure they balance it.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
for the guys talking about the fluidampr the ATi seems to be a better unit, there is a good writeup on laskey racing about it. but i'm with everyone else, i don't need a bling pulley, i want something that'll damp some vibrations, even if with a well balanced setup its not 100% necessary. but either way, its such a small mass with a small diameter, its quite negligible.

and FWIW i run an S2K pulley, $25 and a couple hours worth of work

·
Registered
619 Posts
i was just talking about this on the 4th gen thread. I talked to Mike Laskey today and he said to get the ATI crank damper. my engine is off balance, i have gone through a oil pump and two crank pulleys, (one in less than 24 hours) (both stock) oh and i tried the unorthodox pulley, i wouldnt use it ever!!! i asked laskey if it was cause he removed the balance shaft, and he said no, he has been doing it for years he recomended the ATI pulley. 395 shipped on laskeyracing.com. the write up that they have on the site, about the probs you can have with the vibrations, i have had every one of them, no lie at all.

·
Banned
1,001 Posts
Just had to contribute......I have the UO 3pc kit incl Crank pulley for 4yrs/50k miles and having raced, visited 8000 on many occasions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts