Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i brought a 8 lb flywheel but i am not sure if i should install it. can someone tell me pro & con and your experience with light weight flywheel?
found my own answered here http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305714&highlight=flywheel

but i still would like to know does it helps fuel efficiency? is it worth to replace it? rev faster and slow down faster does not sounds attractive to me yet

thank you

·
Registered
661 Posts
8lb flywheel is very easy to manage if you already know how to drive stick.

shit just gets tougher if you have a heavy duty clutch and light flywheel during traffic. i got cramps with that combination.

as for fuel efficiency it really didn't affect my milage. i got the same amount or even better mpg.

heres my car revving with the light flywheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRKc_H8YVkQ

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nice running engine Mindtrickz. I used to have the other nice cb7 you know about, the four door. I feel bad, I just had my clutch replaced with Exedy Oem clutch and flywheel. Mine would dip into 300rpm (almost dying) after revving like that with a warm engine... I am trying to make my H22 run awsome and it only has 87k and hasent been run hard. I wish I had my old F22a4 in there, Bisimoto knows what hes talking about huh?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh wow, that is almost like a motorcycle reving

so the idle will be not as smooth after you replace lightweight flywheel? do you have to readjust the idle?

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
The idle will be fine, but it just drops rpm so fast that it will bog after hard revving such as that... typically

·
Registered
661 Posts
Nice running engine Mindtrickz. I used to have the other nice cb7 you know about, the four door. I feel bad, I just had my clutch replaced with Exedy Oem clutch and flywheel. Mine would dip into 300rpm (almost dying) after revving like that with a warm engine... I am trying to make my H22 run awsome and it only has 87k and hasent been run hard. I wish I had my old F22a4 in there, Bisimoto knows what hes talking about huh?
oh yea? were you on cb7tuner? im the mod on the socal region so theres plenty of guys with 4doors that i know of :biggrin:. i usually go by GHOST 2.2 in most forums i thought id switch my sn to mindtrickz which some people used to call me.

as for the OP, idle should not be affected unless you got some bad vac leaks or some cams in there.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
I have an act organic street clutch kit with HD pressure plate and xact prolight flywheel.
it felt more responsive and faster but we all know the butt dyno isn't accurate, lol.

I did have some issues with it though. when it is really cold out and it has been sitting for multiple hours, after it starts you have to tap the gas when the rpm needle bogs or it will stall. If you give it a little rev when it bogs it never stalls. driveability is not as good but its not terrible, have to rev higher when starting out in 1st.

The thing that kind of annoys me is its harder to keep in vtec when shifting from 1st to 2nd, the rpms drop too quickly.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an act organic street clutch kit with HD pressure plate and xact prolight flywheel.
it felt more responsive and faster but we all know the butt dyno isn't accurate, lol.

I did have some issues with it though. when it is really cold out and it has been sitting for multiple hours, after it starts you have to tap the gas when the rpm needle bogs or it will stall. If you give it a little rev when it bogs it never stalls. driveability is not as good but its not terrible, have to rev higher when starting out in 1st.

The thing that kind of annoys me is its harder to keep in vtec when shifting from 1st to 2nd, the rpms drop too quickly.
that sounds pretty bad to me. I am asking those questions because i plan to sell the prelude within a year and I do not want the new buyer to perceive it as a car with engine problem. however, i already brought the light weight flywheel and i think i would lose money if i resell the flywheel. my car is going to shop tomorrow to install clutch and i am just debating if i should get it on or resell it.

·
You myron?
1,540 Posts
I have the fidanza 8lb flywheel and love it, revs up nice takes a little getting used to at first but as said before if you can drive stick you get used to it very quick.

·
Registered
215 Posts
throw it in there and hold on to the stock flywheel, resurface it and offer it with the car when you sell it. that's what I'd do. Well I wouldn't sell my lude BUUUT if i were in your position thats what i'd do. no reason to hold off on things you want to do just for the next buyer down the road enjoy the lue while you got it.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Just put it on... i got one. and with a stage 3 cc clutch... it makes the car feal more sport... combined with turbo, its just flat out dangerous

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
throw it in there and hold on to the stock flywheel, resurface it and offer it with the car when you sell it. that's what I'd do. Well I wouldn't sell my lude BUUUT if i were in your position thats what i'd do. no reason to hold off on things you want to do just for the next buyer down the road enjoy the lue while you got it.
yeah that is exactly my complex of this issue. i kinda want to enjoy it while i have the car but i also do not want to waste another $200 that i will never recover. So right now i am trying to see if it will sweeten my experience or worsen it.

does any owner observed increase fuel efficient or decrease fuel efficient?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts