Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
JDM fo lyf y0
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Okay I know _ALOT_ of prelude owners have this problem, Turn off your stereo, put your windows up, hope your exhaust isnt too loud, and listen...

Hear that annoying kinda-muffled rattle that sounds like its comming from the rear of your car?! Yeah well every single prelude i've been in does it, and I want to get rid of it! I've spent alot of time making my car rattle-proof and thats the only one left!

Anyone have any ideas/know what it is?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If the rattle is around 2000rpm, its a common problem of the stock header. do a search for the 2k rattle (is search function working?)

I dont know if this is your problem since you say its comming from the rear, but This all i could think of that was common. It is due to the design of the Y pipe having an inner pipe. (correct me if im wrong) I think some has a how to on fixing it but cant remember

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
my car does it

sounds like it's coming from the muffler

not really sure how to fix it (short of just replacing the muffler)

Matt

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
My car has the 2k(2k-3k, really) rattle, nothing from the rear though.

I know integra mufflers tend to break internally and rattle like mofos, preludes may do the same sometimes.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
i know that rear rattle well. 3 different things are the possible culprit:
-incorrect rear section of the exhaust, is rattling on the lower control arm on the right side (usdm passenger side)
-dust shields on brakes
-heat shield for cat/exhaust

there is rarely other causes for it, but the above are the main 3. check for broken or loose bolts, rusted shields, and exhaust pipe too close to the control arm.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
the exhaust pipe being too close to the control arm is especially common with aftermarket mufflers that have no hanger hooks on them from the factory and require the stock hooks to be welded on. 99.9% of the time the hooks are not welded perfectly in the right spot, causing the muffler to be too low or too high causing much more likely rattling and shaking of the exhaust.

-too low = too loose = entire exhaust being shaky and loose
-too high = pipe hitting control arm even if it is the right pipe, and sometimes muffler rattling on the body or bumper or other parts, even the heat shields
-not centered same as stock at any height = more likely to vibrate against something that wouldnt normally touch the exhaust with a totally stock exhaust
-muffler canister larger than stock or different shape then stock or both = more likely to vibrate against some part of the car that the stock exhaust wouldnt even come close to

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
exaust banging on the floorboards... thats the problem in my lude.

Missing/loose fitting/incorrect hangers.

·
Registered
840 Posts
heh...my whole exhaust is custom...and its soo damn tight that it wont even budge in the front....only in the rear very little...but i recall my 86SI had that rattle problem shit..drove me crazy ...it was at both idle and 2k range.. i know it was teh exhaust somewhere just dont know the exact spot

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I never knew that the rear brake shields could rattle have to keep that in mind. I thought it would just be the cat cover or the 2k rattle. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts