Honda Prelude Forum banner

201 - 220 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
i just ordered two strips of white...when they are in i will post pics next week. i will attempt the climate controls as well. maybe get created with the trunk set up i got. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
i just ordered two strips of white...when they are in i will post pics next week. i will attempt the climate controls as well. maybe get created with the trunk set up i got. :)
Who did you order from? There's tons of led strips on ebay. I wanna get the right ones.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
You'd have to start by getting a shift light module with the "pill" for the right shift point. Then take apart the shift light, and run the wires that power the lights in the shift light to the leds you want to light up. BLAM.
That's my guess anyways
He said redline, not shift points although shift points would make more sense and you'd get more use out of the lights...

·
Registered
523 Posts
tell us!!! ^^^^
Sorry for all of the quotes...

I would imagine you could run a second strip if there is room- is there?

You wouldn't connect it to the normal spot like people are using. You would connect it's negative lead to a ground behind the cluster and the positive would need to be triggered by the vtec trigger wire by the ECU under the passenger foot well.

I added an LED in my dash to show me (like i couldn't hear or feel) when vtec kicked in on my 1998 back in 01. I have not done that ghey mod on my 01 and won't.

So, in all these years I forgot which wire is the trigger at the ECU but I believe it's green- there's a way to check it under the hood somehow...

Anyway, you get that wire and tap a second wire into it. I ran that thin wire all the way up to the gauge cluster and connected it to the + of a single LED. The - was grounded. That was one LED with no current draw. With these strips I'd consider running that Vtec trigger wire to 86 on a relay, a ground to 85, power to 30 and then from 87 a wire to the + of the strips.

When you hit vtec, you'll get twice the light and you'll get a color of your choice. to turn off the white or original color, you'd have to use a second relay- the positive from that white strip would have to go to 87a on a relay. the 86 from that relay would have to run to the 87 on the second color's relay. the 30 on that second relay would have to be run to the power for the instrument lights so it only gets power when the lights are on.

87a is normally closed on a relay and when the lights are turned on, the relay will already be closed and the dash will illuminate. when the vtec kicks in it will send a signal to the new color's relay to illuminate and a signal to the first color's relay to switch to 87 and open the 87a.

actually- duh...

you would use one relay for two colors. 87a would be color 1 and 87 would be color 2. the trigger would have to be vtec and the power going to 30 would have to come from a wire that gets power only when the lights are on- i'd actually advise a small relay to power the color switching relay.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Wow. Time for a second resistor or a rheostat...
it looks like it has way more glare than it does just because cameras have trouble with such white light and contrasting the black all around. But yeah, on dim it looks a little bit brighter than stock and on full bright it looks almost as bright as that picture shows. Its nice though, I actually have reason to have a dim switch now; bright in the day time and even with the sun out you can tell they are on, then turn em down for night and they just look sexy.:D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Resurrected thread!
I obviously missed the boat on this, anyone know if there is a write-up on installing the LED strips that still has pictures? Or a company on ebay that is selling good quality strips these days?

·
_
2,494 Posts
lemme know when you're doing yours, havok... i'll come help you... it'll be easy.

201 - 220 of 228 Posts