Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
You myron?
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming back from Bean town to CT just cruising in the left lane when I see party lights behind me. I was doing 70 in 65 so I thought it was wierd that I was getting pulled over. Trooper comes over asks for the usual stuff, I tell him up front that my registration is expired beause i'm in the process of moving back to NY and havent had the time to make a trip to the DMV. Anyway, he tells me that in Massachusites there is a left lane law which means on any multi lane road you cannot be in the left lane if the right lane is open if that makes any sense and he said it was reserved for emergency vehicles and that I had to keep to the right in MA. I of course apologized and told him I did not know that, he was cool about it said it's fine he saw my out of state tags and just wanted to give me a heads up for future reference. He even gave me a break on my registration for telling him up front, so you learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
really thats a law... i heard about that in drivers ed that your suppose to do that didn't think it was a law

·
You myron?
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently certain states it is, they really don't teach you much in drivers ed

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, I knew about that. A buddy of mine in VA got pulled for that a few years ago, however the officer wasn't col about it and gave him a ticket. I personally love that law, the left lane is for passing not just cruising, and nothing makes me more mad than somebody matching speeds in the left lane with someone in the right. 9 times out of 10 when traffic is slow moving, that is the reason, people driving in the left lane just because it's there.

·
You myron?
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To bad it's not that way in NY, here it's known as the fastlane not the passing lane lol.

·
Registered
720 Posts
ya there's signs posted on 75 going through kentucky that says its a law. my sister got a ticket cuz she was in the left lane too long after passing another car. its a really gay law imo. here in ohio, we dont have that law

·
Registered
581 Posts
i knew the left lane was for passing but never thought it was enforced that much.

it does piss me off when im goin 80 on I-75 comin home and someone is camped out in the fast lane doin 50 or 60.

Ive actually started doin the autobahn headlight flash to let them know im comin up behind them and to move over. Most of the time it works...most of the time.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
yeah, that is probably my worst problem on the road, i will be the asshole who tailgates for miles JUST to make sure you get out of the overtake lane

but i don't speed, so if i'm coming up on you in the overtake lane, there is a problem...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah technically that lane is only supposed to be used for passing. But most people use it as a fast lane. I usually stay one lane over from the far left. It works well when there isn't a dumbass in the far left hand lane going 5-10mph under the speed limit in that lane. As soon as I'm approaching a car, I just merge left, pass, and merge back right. Not too difficult. I only stay in the fast lane is there is heavy traffic. You can't ticket the 200+ people in the left hand lane.

·
Registered
467 Posts
In Australia, its the same thing. But of course here we have to keep left unless overtaking.
If the place is clear then you stick to the left, if you come up to a slower car you overtake then move back. If its packed then its considered the speed limit lane if some people are going slower in the left such as trailers or trucks.

·
iamNOTerator
5,945 Posts
To bad it's not that way in NY, here it's known as the fastlane not the passing lane lol.
Dude, it IS a law in NY. I got a ticket for it! They call it "Failure To keep Right". I actually got pulled over for speeding but the cop was nice and just let me off with this violation, but yeah it is a law.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Man if that was the law around here the left lane would ONLY have people doing 85+ people haul ass on the freeways here.

except in traffic of course.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am PROUD to say that I AM that asshole guy that does the speed limit in the left hand/"fast"/"passing" lane. I just assumed that the speed limit was for ALL lanes, not just a few of them. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe, just maybe, I missed the part were its ok to go faster than the speed limit in the left hand lane?

·
Registered
447 Posts
The ticket was probably for cruising in the left lane. Its against the law here in Illinois too. It makes me so infuriated when someone is driving in the left lane and there are absolutely no cars around them. I always get nervous when I have to pass someone in the right lane because they may not see me as easily. The law is there to make the highway system work better, if you arent passing anyone, get the fuck out of the left lane! I go faster than the speed limit when conditions allow, but I use the right lane when I am not passing anyone.

·
Banned
5,085 Posts
Left lane in any state is only for passing. Go to Europe and you will find this out quick on the highways.

People that site in the left lane here are the reason I have the plates on my car that I do.

Mike (H4L)

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
We need this law in VA! Everyone treats both lanes the same...the go the speed limit in both lanes, holding up a line of 20 cars! If I have to pass someone on the right they get a glare or honk, lol.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I believe that this is a law in almost all of the states or was at one time. Most states do not enforce this. I grew up in Kansas and the right lane on I-70 was so groved that it was unsafe to drive in it. One had to drive in the left lane to keep the car going down the road in a straight line.

I used to have a old chevy and the steering has about 90 degrees of play in the steering wheel. Combine this with the grooved road and it makes for an interesting drive. I got pulled over because he suspected me for DUI. He let me off and told me to drive in left lane.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts