Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: The coolant was leaking from the overflow container and steaming when i let the car idle for 1 hour. When i opened the hood i can hear the fan running and i checked the oil for a creamy colour and there was none. Is this a sign of a bad head gasket? My tercel does the same thing if idling to long. =/. I find the only way to cool it is turn on the heater full blast. I checked the coolant levels and it was full. Oh and the radiator and pipes were recently replaced.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Hmmm. Try cranking the engine and have someone feel the oil cap.

If you can feel blowby chances are your headgasket is shot.

A way to make sure is add some oil and crank it a couple times. see what color it is.

·
Registered
365 Posts
if you're engine isnt cooling and your fluids are full and your oil looks good, then i would expect its the thermostat failed in the closed position.

(Fail safe thermostats for the win...)

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
Its a long shot but it might be an air lock.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Dano speaks much sense :emthup:

and it's the easiest thing to try.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
could have a sticking thermostat....why did the car idle for an hour if a may ask?
My battery died the other day because i didn't close my trunk fully and the light inside the trunk was on and drained the battery. So i just recharged with a trickle charger. I was fixing the window power issue so i left the car on. But yeah i'll try checking the thermostat and give an update if it works. Thanks.

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
oh definitely not i just changed the radiator and cap plus the pipes but thanks
Well if thats the case, you might have a new faulty cap, your old radiator could of failed because of a faulty thermostat. Did you bleed the system when you filled it up, and have you checked the level recently?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well if thats the case, you might have a new faulty cap, your old radiator could of failed because of a faulty thermostat. Did you bleed the system when you filled it up, and have you checked the level recently?
Actually i don't actually know if the system was bled. I just recently bought the car with the radiator changed. I did check the level recently but it seemed fine.

Hmmm. Try cranking the engine and have someone feel the oil cap.

If you can feel blowby chances are your headgasket is shot.

A way to make sure is add some oil and crank it a couple times. see what color it is.
Barely any blowby noticeable unless i have the oil cap off. But its expected that old cars have some blowby right? The oil itself coming out is darker than the dipstick but its a b21a1 and its burning oil. =[

*update* so i cranked the engine and i looked under the hood and i notice slight white smoke come from the back of the engine near the firewall. Also there is lots of noise coming from the timing cover. Looks like i have to change the timing belt @[email protected]

Question: The car seems to cool normally for about 45mins. Then the temp starts to go up.How long after start up does the fan usually kick in?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
yea definitely bleed the system its easy to do....just locate the bleeder screw on the thermostat housing(flywheel side of engine), get a clear hose that will fit snug onto the end of the bleeder screw. after you attach the hose take off the coolant reservoir cap and stick the other end of the hose in there. take the car up to operating temperature and loosen the bleeder screw about half a turn, if you dont get any bubbles then it was bled. if you do get bubbles keep the bleeder open until they stop.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
*update* so i cranked the engine and i looked under the hood and i notice slight white smoke come from the back of the engine near the firewall. Also there is lots of noise coming from the timing cover. Looks like i have to change the timing belt @[email protected]

Question: The car seems to cool normally for about 45mins. Then the temp starts to go up.How long after start up does the fan usually kick in?
the fans kick on at a certain temp(i dont know exactly)not by how long the engine has been running. and when you cranked it over did you start it and let it run? i dont understand how u got any smoke without it running, and the smoke could be from a broken flew pipe.

p.s.-WHY DO YOU LEAVE IT RUN WITHOUT MOVING IT FOR THAT LONG?????

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the fans kick on at a certain temp(i dont know exactly)not by how long the engine has been running. and when you cranked it over did you start it and let it run? i dont understand how u got any smoke without it running, and the smoke could be from a broken flew pipe.

p.s.-WHY DO YOU LEAVE IT RUN WITHOUT MOVING IT FOR THAT LONG?????
When i first cranked it and let it run this morning, I looked under the hood there was slight smoke from the rear of the engine. Might explain the exhaust smell i've been getting while driving it around.

<I left it running because i was fixing the power window issue and let the door light illuminate the inside since it was pretty dark with my garage open and the light on.>

But generally, leaving a car running shouldn't damage any internals right? Since its under less stress load than driving?

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
That is symptom of a bad radiator cap. If you wait too long to replace, it will loose too much coolant. Then, overheat, possibly causing problems like a blown head gasket.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts