Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well everyone knows ive mad like 1 million threads about my problems and its getting annoying.

im going to cut my losses and get a ride ride cuz this is ridiculous and im tired of it. unless i can figure out this problem.

when im driving and i hit the gas the car just boggs down and it almost feels like my brake pads are constantly rubbing and keeping the car from moving (thats what it feels like but no way thats what it is).

for example when i was driving home today from having a mehanic look at it, i was driving at about 60-65 the car would sound like i was going fast but as had as i hit the gas it wouldnt really go anywhere. and it constantly felt like it was trying to go but wouldnt. it felt like it was almost jerking the slightest bit. also i found out the cruse control isnt working which it did a few days ago (prolly has nothing to do with it tho).

update for everyone that doesnt want to read everything.

things ive replaced.
fuel filter
drilled cleaned EGR ports
cleaned the IM and replaced all gaskets on it.
new tps
new knock sensor
flushed coolant
new spark plug wires and plugs
new tb gasket
3 different tb's
new dizzy
bypassed o2 sensor (not that)
new water pump
new timing belt
replaced broken 2nd butterfly box
checked for air leaks
new clutch and flywheel
different coil
different ecu

things left.

valve lash adjustment, couple random sensors, possibly injectors, fuel pump and another set of brand new spark plugs.

·
Registered
513 Posts
First off, I hate to see you get rid of the Prelude...so don't do it.

But it could be the knock sensor?, cost about $100 I think.

Also, it is the winter time, allow the vtec engine to warm up before you go out and hit vtec. I have heard hitting vtec when the engine is still warming up is bad.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this car has been so much trouble for me that ive hit v tec like 5 times since ive had it.

ill wait till i get some more suggestions then im try something.

·
Registered
175 Posts
any check engine lights? does the light come on for a brief moment when you turn the ignition key to the second click?

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
maybe loading up? idk just a thought.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
over on honda tech they said it could be the cat. which is very possible. since i just put on an exhaust and noticed the cat was in very bad condition.

·
Registered
175 Posts
if a code is indeed tripped by a sensor, your cel will help you diagnose the issue. you should go outside, turn the key to the second click and see if the cel comes on at all. it could be burnt or disconnected by previous owner if you bought it secondhand.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i could still have a cel without it being on when im driving? i know the cel light works cuz it was on the whole time before i wired for v tec. the more and more i think of it i kinda do think its the cat.

but im need some more suggestions thanks!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Spend 50 bucks and buy a resonator off of ebay and straight pipe the B

I would say check ignition. Inspect cap and rotor, Do a wire test on teh wires and inspect the plugs.

·
Prelude Tech Kid
606 Posts
Also try to replace the fuel filter to see if that's clogged up. There's no way to visually see if it is but at 20 bucks, might as well change it!

As for the cat, you can always pawn it and with the money you get, get a new one or get a resonated "hi flow" test pipe..

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Try getting a resonator off ebay like shadow said and Ill come look at it after new years and see what I can do for ya man cause its probly something really simple it always is....your so close to finishing this man KEEP YA HEAD UP :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
changed fuel filter nothing. hope the cat helps. any other ideas?

another thing is when i start it up on a cold start it will drive perfect for like 5 minutes and then after it warms up all the way thats when it does it.

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
you think it could be the clutch? you said when you hit the gas it would sound like its going fast but its really not goin any where. might be the clutch.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts