Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 01 base model from Acura of Glendale, who said all the maitenence was done but provided no paperwork, back in September, 06. While changing my radiator the other day, I noticed my ATF fluid was a dark, translucent purple color, but on my dipstick it appears dark pinkish. I'm the second owner on the car, I don't know if the previous owner had perhaps put Royal Purple in??? I'm not going to add any fluid but I'm not sure what will happen if the two are mixed?

**Note** I bought a cheap aftermarket radiator almost two years ago. Whenever I used tiptronic, my car would often overheat. This might sound like a n00b question, but will that cause my tranny fluid to burn and turn darker? Sorry, if that's not even possible. Since the installation of the new OEM radiator my car has been running much, much cooler; not even reaching the half way mark.

I know I have to completely flush out my tranny, but should I put Royal Purple or Honda OEM? How many times am I going to have to flush it before I add new? My tranny is starting to slip 1st to 2nd a little bit and my warranty went up Aug 08 >.< I guess now is the right time to start "trying" to prolong the life of it because I am nowhere near a position to start saving for that because I need to do my timing belt first.

Are there any suggestions to help me prolong the life of my motor and tranny? I've been driving more conservative and overall, taking it easier on the car. I'm honestly scared to drive it in fears something will break. It still feels like a new car, the motor pulls strong and no other problems. Should I worry? I just reached 95k on the odometer, bought it at 67k.

I'm also looking for good pricing on trannycoolers, timing belt jobs and such. If you know anywhere, let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
581 Posts
flush it and put honda ATF in, might flush it a few times just to be sure its all outta there. ATF should be a lighter shade of red, shouldnt be very dark.

slipping is a common problem w/ prelude auto transmissions, if uve read the articles, u know what im talkin about. as much as i hate to say it, sounds like ur tranny is on its way out.

as far as prolonging the trans. life: keep a running check on the ATF, and dont use the sportshift mode at all. everyone says it just accelerates the damage.

u might wanna start savin for a 5 spd swap, or better yet, sell urs and find a 5 spd lude. it would probably be cheaper than doing a swap.

Ace

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The fluid on the bottom might be darker than the top because as we know, the denser stuff goes on the bottom. I dont think that using the SS mode will make it worse, im pretty sure it was one person who would do it and had his transmission crap out and now its a general idea. (not saying that it will or it wont, it always varies) I used the SS from day 1 @ 82k and no slips up to 101k miles (when I pulled it out). Some people have prolonged the life of the transmission by using the SS. Best bet is to read previous threads and see what people would do and try both out to see if it helps.

As for flushing, I'm not sure how it goes. But at least a drain and fill should be enough. Use Honda ATF. I know Honda will charge you $125 for a tranny flush though.

Save up for a 5 speed swap, i'm pretty local to you soo ya! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts