Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm really new to these cars but I was given a JDM 1991/2 Prelude SI 4WS and was wondering what the process is for keys and if these cars have remote fobs?

I was given a key that works in all doors, trunk and starts the car but I'd like extra just in case.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
JDM 4th Gen Prelude 2.2 Vtec Turbo
74 Posts
That's your lot really.

Some have an optional infrared system for remote central locking, but it's quite limited and adding an aftermarket fob system does a better job. You can tell if you have the OEM system as there will be a little black 'window' next to the drivers door lock. The key has a button built in and it recharges when in the ignition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's your lot really.

Some have an optional infrared system for remote central locking, but it's quite limited and adding an aftermarket fob system does a better job. You can tell if you have the OEM system as there will be a little black 'window' next to the drivers door lock. The key has a button built in and it recharges when in the ignition.
I'll look into compustar as I have them on all my vehicles. As for keys, is it pretty difficult? I'd assume just get it cut and programmed?

·
Registered
JDM 4th Gen Prelude 2.2 Vtec Turbo
74 Posts
Ignoring the infrared system, just get extra keys cut. There is no programming as 4th gens do not have immobilisers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ignoring the infrared system, just get extra keys cut. There is no programming as 4th gens do not have immobilisers.
Appreciate the info, I believe mine doesn't have the infrared system. Any advice where to get keys? I was just gonna go on amazon or ebay.

Also, do you know of any problems with installing aftermarket alarm systems to these cars? i.e., viper and compustar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey all, I'm really new to these cars but I was given a JDM 1991/2 Prelude SI 4WS and was wondering what the process is for keys and if these cars have remote fobs?

I was given a key that works in all doors, trunk and starts the car but I'd like extra just in case.

Thanks in advance!
Installing a nice car alarm will give you a remote option. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installing a nice car alarm will give you a remote option. ;)
haha yeah i think i'll install one before winter since we get bad winters here.. low of almost -50C lol.

Car's at the mechanic because it wasn't starting, suspect main relay so gotta pull that out and replace (i know i could solder but we're just going to replace).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts