Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got the Kenne Bell put on the truck last week and got tuned. I am only running 13 psi of boost right now, 430RWHP/485RWTQ.....woo-hoo!:devil:

·
Sleeper Needs Boost!
2,685 Posts
oh I know the numbers a great. I just didn't want to give a big head lol. thats all:grin:

Whats your hole setup anyways? I don't remember reading it anywhere.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually not a whole lot, just a cold air, the Kenne Bell blower upgrade, and colder plugs...

·
Registered
522 Posts
i want to see your new times... yea twins screw='s the best... how much boost can a lightning take stock?

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
umm its not boost, it's more power threshold, than anything else I think Johny Lightning Perfomance was able to crank out 600+ from just boltons to the shortblock. But honestly a kenne bell at 13 pounds and that's all your making. You really need more supporting upgrades. But then again Screw type blowers, IMO are hugely inefficient. Such high intake temps. You migt seriously want to look into methanol Injection from Snow Performance, or other related companies.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, compared to the factory Eaton blower, its gobs of power at 13 psi. My tuner showed me a dyno graph for a Lightning on the Eaton at 13 psi, 380/410....compared to my 430/485 SAE corrected to 422/473. I am happy with it for now. I am hoping to get it to the track this weekend. One word will be the deciding factor in the quarter...TRACTION....A twin screw is SO much more efficient than a roots BTW. More boost but at a lower blower RPM. lower blower RPM=less heat=morepower

ludeamister said:
i want to see your new times... yea twins screw='s the best... how much boost can a lightning take stock?
The block is more limited to HP than boost. Once you hit 450-470 at the wheels, you start reaching the limits of the fuel system. There are guys running 17-18psi, and I know of atleast one that was pushing 20psi(but for how long?) on stock block...I am all about safety for the motor....

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
ReyKe said:
umm its not boost, it's more power threshold, than anything else I think Johny Lightning Perfomance was able to crank out 600+ from just boltons to the shortblock. But honestly a kenne bell at 13 pounds and that's all your making. You really need more supporting upgrades. But then again Screw type blowers, IMO are hugely inefficient. Such high intake temps. You migt seriously want to look into methanol Injection from Snow Performance, or other related companies.
Your way off base here.

Twin screw blowers have roughly the same heat efficiency turbos have, meaning that at 13psi with the same temp air going in, they both put out the same temp air.

Most twin-screw setups aren't intercooled, but they can be, which helps just them just as much as it helps a turbo.

·
Registered
522 Posts
lol i wanted to get that to before you bobnova...take all the fun away...twin screw='s god in racing you cant beat it...same boost as a turbo except virtually NO LAG about same heat efficiency as a turbo i believe they are rated 70% average to 75% average turbo... somewhere around there roots ='s like 55% BIG STEP UP... intercooling would help yes but when wouldnt it with boost? i want to see a vid :D

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
theres a lightning on campus here thats got a front mount and all. I havent had a chance to talk to him but it sounds/looks sick.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Sorry but from I have seen and been around and built I don't care if it's a twin screw or eaton, you can sit there and bench race all you want. But they still have high Intake temps, and they heat-soak so easily it's not funny. When we did pulls we had to leave the fans on the blower between pulls for a good 20 minutes just to get good consistent results each time. Say what you want but they still suck. But yes those numbers are ok. Ive seen 450 to the wheels on my freinds old setup and he had head work, ported upper plenum, pulley and other supporting mods, also put in his own box for the a/w intercooler. Not bagging on your setup, I've just seen a lot more out of a kenne-bell than that. And I mean 600+ to the wheels. On a complimentary note, what I like the most out of lightnings, is you can have them put out stupid insane amounts of power and suspension to get them to hook, and they ride and drive soo damned nice. Not like putting suspension on a honda then you have a rough ride, or a mustang. Throw the whole damned lakewood catalog at a mustang and then it drives like a damn board. But anyways get yourself some traction bars and drag radials and go to the track man.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Drag radials are on Nitto 305/45-18s. traction bars are in the garage right now. True there is a lot left in the Kenne Bell, I am keeping it conservative for now on purpose.......
FYI-ALL LIGHTNINGS are intercooled from the factory....they have a heat exchanger in front and the air to water intercooler mounted in the lower intake beneath the blower....
I wasn't bench racing, simply stating fact. You didn't initially compare a twin screw to a turbo as far as efficieny goes. But as stated earlier, they are pretty efficient for a supercharger, minus the lag of a turbo. If you saw the dyno sheet, the tourque curve is flat as a pancake, only dropping off when he let off. It makes peak power at the tranny's shift points. Not trying to rant, I just hate being accused of bench racing. If you ever come down this way, I'll show ya some bench racing!!!

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Thats a nice setup to come factory!

I think you'll find that despite what Reyke may have to say, the twin screw is a hell of a lot better then a roots blower, and doesn't heatsoak much, if at all.

What some people do for cars they intend to use for long periods of boost (towing something up a hill, for instance) is run another set of lines from the air-water heat exchanger around the outside of the blower, then back to the reservoir. That gives it a sustained flow of coolant to dump heat into, and solves any heat soak issues quite nicely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts