Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a 1985 Prelude with a et2 in it. I noticed that the left carburetor had a stream of gas coming out of the bottom of the carburetor. What would be the cause of this? Stuck float? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
leaking carbs

Most likely need a rebuild probably a seal that's let go.

Two options rebuild kits are available as common carb used on many Honda bikes, or you could replace them with something more fancy like a set of sports bike carbs or Racing carbs from Weber! :)

You could send them off to a carb rebuilder if your not too sure how to do this yourself, others have managed to rebuild them here if they haven't been sat with fuel in that's dried up it's just a simple case of take apart replace anything rubber and put back together again and should work again. Although the auto choke is a bit fussy and can fail and getting replacement sensor for it is a mission I've just had to live without it on mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most likely need a rebuild probably a seal that's let go.

Two options rebuild kits are available as common carb used on many Honda bikes, or you could replace them with something more fancy like a set of sports bike carbs or Racing carbs from Weber! :)

You could send them off to a carb rebuilder if your not too sure how to do this yourself, others have managed to rebuild them here if they haven't been sat with fuel in that's dried up it's just a simple case of take apart replace anything rubber and put back together again and should work again. Although the auto choke is a bit fussy and can fail and getting replacement sensor for it is a mission I've just had to live without it on mi
Do you know where I could find the rebuild kit?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's actually leaking from the inter vent solenoid ( I believe that what it called). The piece that 2 hoses connect to that goes to the carb tubes.

·
Registered
638 Posts
if its just a little tube sticking out the carb cover (round thing air cleaner is in) then its most likely a bad or sunk float,the floats in these are plastic and rot out after 30 years i guess or at least mine did...have fun trackin down the float,i did,many out of state calls to different parts shops but i found one eventually i think it was for a keihin motorcycle carb that had the same part numer as keihin had for our preludes...sounds easy enough..lol...sorry dont remember any numbers or websites because it was many years ago im sure ive gotta thread on here somewhere about it...

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
if its just a little tube sticking out the carb cover (round thing air cleaner is in) then its most likely a bad or sunk float,the floats in these are plastic and rot out after 30 years i guess or at least mine did...have fun trackin down the float,i did,many out of state calls to different parts shops but i found one eventually i think it was for a keihin motorcycle carb that had the same part numer as keihin had for our preludes...sounds easy enough..lol...sorry dont remember any numbers or websites because it was many years ago im sure ive gotta thread on here somewhere about it...
If I remember correctly, Honda Goldwings use the same carburetor. I too need to buy new floats, this will be my third time replacing them, but this time I'm looking for a new set.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The floats look good. I may have lucked out, I tore down the cards and see a lot of trash in them. Cleaned them very well. Every thing besides the trash actually look amazingly like new. I will put them back on and give it a shot.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
You pulled your carburetors out and checked the floats? When this happened to me 10 years ago I thought they were good. That is, until I realized floats aren't supposed to have fuel in them.

I believe this set will work with our Keihin carburetors.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-16013-679-005.html

The part numbers match with the exception of the 3 digit code in the middle, which designates the vehicle. I imagine as this is for the motorcycle side of Honda, this may not matter. Not entirely sure, but I think I'll take my chances.

Honda Prelude part number: 16013-PB9-005
Motorcycle part number: 16013-679-005

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hopefully its just trash getting between the needle and its seat. Had that happened to me a couple of times. Make sure the fuel lines are really clean.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts