Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently acquired this car. I did an even trade for the car with my Grand Prix GTP. This car is really rough and needs serious TLC. But i love preludes and can't believe i even got this car. I really got the better end of the deal IMO. The car so far has been built right. Ill try and name most the things done of the top of my head. I have receipts and manuals for everything so i can double check later.
Mods: ERL performance sleeved block closed deck, JE 9:1 forged pistons, Eagle H-beam rods, Port and polished head, Drag turbo kit, Explicit traction bar, tokico blues, unknown stb and bigger sways, and alot more i can't think of.
Here are the pics from when i got her.

The orginal owner had a carbon fiber hood on the car the past few years and he parted it out along with some 17" wheels it had and put this stock hood back on that had been sitting in the shop for a while. Obviously people went to town on the hood. lol
Here are the first progress pictures i got. This is what i did on christmas day since i live 350miles away from all my family. Turtle wax rubbing compound and lots of elbow grease really payed off.

Me and my cousin just finished up the hood and waxed the car. Ill go take some pictures right now and post them up.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
First thing I would is do a compression test on it. Make sure the motor is ok(You never know). Most hot rod cars are beat on, actually a majority of them are beat on regaurdless if they say they have been babied. please. lol.. Check plugs, etc. Basically do a little tune-up on it. And man I want the traction bar. grrrr.. lol.. Do you know how much power its putting down?Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing I would is do a compression test on it. Make sure the motor is ok(You never know). Most hot rod cars are beat on, actually a majority of them are beat on regaurdless if they say they have been babied. please. lol.. Check plugs, etc. Basically do a little tune-up on it. And man I want the traction bar. grrrr.. lol.. Do you know how much power its putting down?Posted via Mobile
I had the motor checked before i did the trade. Compression came up good but the headgasket was leaking a little. Had that replaced before i did the trade. He was gonna get the knock sensor replaced at the same time but they didnt have one in stock. I bought one and its ready to go in just need to get a new jack as the one i have doesnt fit under the car and the front hits the ramps i have also. The car wasnt ragged on to bad. The build never gonna fully completed. He did it right but ran out of money. Right now i need to get the knock sensor replaced and put an exhaust on it. After i get that done im chnging the computer as its a on a piggyback. Its tuned on an AEM FI/C. I talked to motto about it already. I will be buying a new ecu thru him. He said the FI/C actually isnt that bad. But i will get alot more out of a complete ecu. As for power im not sure to be honest. I have a dyno sheet for 235whp with all the receipts and manuals i got but i have no idea how much psi that was on. Right now its running about 10-11psi. Come this spring i will get the new ecu and new injectors and turn the boost up a little. But for now this is plenty of power for me. Im focusing on the body as it is really rough.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry i forgot to post the progress pictures.

My cousin modeling the car. (this car is tiny) lol

Im gonna be getting the exhaust put on the car next week. Right now its 2.5" and dumping before the rear axle. Im gonna get a 3" dp back stainless exhaust. They quoted me 350 for the labor and piping. That doesnt include muffler, res, or tip. Im gonna be up in ohio this weekend visiting family so im gonna stop by summit racing and pick up a muffler and tip. I dont think im gonna run a resonator. Any recommendations on mufflers? Im prolly gonna go with a real muffler.. no fart can. Ive been looking at magnaflow and dynomax. Havent decided what series to go with.
Any input welcome.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
What kind of ecu and tuning system are you getting from Steve? I take it p28 but with what?

Well thats good that the motor is ok. Not really that big of deal that the head gasket is bad just a little work.

WTH is up with the hood?!? Whats all that writing?

EDIT: Go with a vibrant TPV muffler and Vibrant ultra quiet resonator.

Heres a vid of mine.

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg75/1fastlude/?action=view&current=halloween040.flv

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
hmmm interesting trade. Do you have any shots of how the kit is setup. The intercooler isn't mounted to nicely.

Good luck with the car. Hopefully you don't get any surprises.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think im just gonna go with some sort of magnaflow or dynomax. It would be kinda pointless to run an ultra quiet res. considering its an open dump tube. I would get it plumbed back into the downpipe but in my mind it would be a waste of money. In the future i plan on ditching the log mani and getting some sort of ramhorn mani. So it would be pointless to get a nice downpipe to a mani that i plan on replacing.
Heres a pic for you to drool over 1fastlude. lol

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm interesting trade. Do you have any shots of how the kit is setup. The intercooler isn't mounted to nicely.

Good luck with the car. Hopefully you don't get any surprises.
Wow i totally forgot to post an under hood picture.

It needs alot of work. As for the intercooler its a bit crooked. I havent gotten a chance yet to mess with it. I also need to get some hose to hook the catch can back up.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
i actually just aquired a brand new 3" catco cat and a 3" muffler that i think is a magnaflow. i'll check in a bit. definitely willing to sell them though.

gotta love shops going out of business and practically giving stuff away for free just to clear the shop out before the end of the month haha. i'll post pics of them for you later today sometime when i can grab the camera out of my gf's car

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
damn, i have a practically brand new knock sensor for sale too, but it doesnt work for your year. it works for all 92-96 preludes, but not 97+, oh well. it's going in the for sale section now.

*edit* actually, i may be able to get you one still, i'll post back if i can

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i actually just aquired a brand new 3" catco cat and a 3" muffler that i think is a magnaflow. i'll check in a bit. definitely willing to sell them though.

gotta love shops going out of business and practically giving stuff away for free just to clear the shop out before the end of the month haha. i'll post pics of them for you later today sometime when i can grab the camera out of my gf's car
Trying to get back on my feet here. You have any specs or info on that muffler?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
get rid of that drag manifold asap!
Its on my "To Do" list. I first need to get my knock sensor replaced which will be done when my exhaust is made. Hopefully i can get that done in the coming week. After that i want to get another ecu. Chrome pro or hondata.. im not sure what i should get yet and be able to afford. Along with the new ecu will be injectors. I believe im stuck with 440's right now. But after thats all said and done i will prolly go with a lovefab. I know that drag mani is robbing me a good 40-60whp suposidely. The exhaust shop told me that i should get a 3" DP along with the exhaust but i told them it would be pointless. Why would you get a good downpipe to a shitty designed mani. Ill get a 3" DP when i get a different mani. Why waste the money now.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The IC and bumper setup is shockingly similar to mine... as well as the traction bar... What suspension is it on, that thing is slammed.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The IC and bumper setup is shockingly similar to mine... as well as the traction bar... What suspension is it on, that thing is slammed.
Im not sure what the exact suspension setup is. I have a receipt for tokico shocks and i looked under the car and they are blue so.... but i have no idea what kind of springs. All i know is there is this bend on a near by road that i would go through daily that i would push 45-47mph in my grand prix before i could feel the car flex and feel uncomfortable. I can push an easy 65mph with this car and i think theres more to it but i ran out of balls. lol It hugs the road. I feel like im going much slower than i actually am. If it wasnt for the short gears i would prolly go 100mph down the highway with out even noticing.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
What was on the hood? Nice job buffing it up, I thought it was keyed. Nice car!

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
pretty solid trade. I would get a new wastegate down the road. Other than that just do what you already said you plan on.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts