Honda Prelude Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, i know some of you 4th genner luders were wondering about these ebay 1 piece jdm replicas. well i ordered some and they finally came in today. i must say, im verry plaesed.

this is the out of the box, pre install review. there will be more pics of them on my car and an after install review later on.

the quality is overall pretty good. its better then the ones i have now though ("jdm projectors"). the lenses are plastic and not glass, but they are a verry durable plastic just like the oem plastic material they use for lights. i tried to scratch the bottom of them with my fingernail (theyre pretty long and sharp right now too) and i couldnt with all my might get a scratch on them. so thats good. the overall construction is great, they look sealed verry well although i will lay a bead of silicone around the edges just to be safe. the lenses are also VERRY clear. i like that too. where the bulbs sit into looks extremely sturdy so no problems there.

on a scale of 1 to 10, id rate these at a verry high 8. like i said, ill keep everyone updated and when i get them in, ill post some more pics. till then, let me know what you guys think:number1:

edit: they are also DOT approved and stamped.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jdawgs92ludesi said:
nice bro...did you order them from ebay...how much were they cause im in the market for some jdms or replicas
i got em off ebay for a little over 200 shipped. no modification required, and theyre brand new. otherwise i would have gotten the real deal. but these are just plug and play and theyre not used.

·
Registered
688 Posts
stock sizes 9004 and 9005. it says everything about them on ebay just search 92-96 prelude headlights

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
bboixtc said:
for 50 bucks more you coulda gotten real JDM's. buts thats awsome though. but i wouldn't get a replica of anything. thats like getting a replica mugen bumper on a 5th gen when its supposed to have that metal grill but its fiberglass painted silver.
eh, to every man his own opinion. id rather have the real things too. i just didnt want used. im sick of getting used shit, someone elses shit. and i actually did find a place that sells brand new (or reman i forget which) jdm 1 pieces...for $950...A PIECE!!! thats almost $2000 for a set of headlights! so i decided to go for the immitations. no big deal to me, im happy with them so far.

i mean as you can see in the pics, theyre not like way far off from the origional design. theyre actually identical except for not having the lines across the lens (which i like anyway but whatcha gonna do, rite) ive installed a set of real ones and it was a bitch and a half and we had some problems with them because you have to completely make them do something they werent meant to do because of the bulbs and wires, and ahrnesses, etc. kind of a day long nightmare.

·
Registered
688 Posts
it's not really that hard at all.
pretty simple compared to other things

·
Registered
513 Posts
so just curios, you rated it a high 8 out of 10,
but whats keepin them from a solid 10??
is it just the fact they are replicas? becasue i wouldnt mind thos at all either, nothin wrong with replicas when you save 1800 bucks!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
i bought mine used for 200 shipped. one had a small crack in it but it was an easy fix.

anyone have an extra drivers side one piece for sale?

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
i definately agree with buying used shit. it sucks. but sometimes u get lucky with used items. as far as headlights go theres like a million of JDM headlights on ebay. alot of them appear to be in mint condition. Or i woulda just bought them from passwordjdm. they're very reputable. but as far as the wiring though, it was pretty simple. just cut off the oem light sockets and attach the new ones to it. but yeah, what is keeping it from a perfect 10?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
bboixtc said:
i definately agree with buying used shit. it sucks. but sometimes u get lucky with used items. as far as headlights go theres like a million of JDM headlights on ebay. alot of them appear to be in mint condition. Or i woulda just bought them from passwordjdm. they're very reputable. but as far as the wiring though, it was pretty simple. just cut off the oem light sockets and attach the new ones to it. but yeah, what is keeping it from a perfect 10?
i thought there was alot more involved then just cutting the old wires and connecting the stock wires to the plug?

kokanee27 said:
so just curios, you rated it a high 8 out of 10,
but whats keepin them from a solid 10??
is it just the fact they are replicas? becasue i wouldnt mind thos at all either, nothin wrong with replicas when you save 1800 bucks!!
those 2 points that they didnt get are for 2 reasons. they lost 1 point because theyre not authentic, and they lost another because theyre not installed yet so i dont know how they will react with rain. like i said, that was an out of the box, before they get installed review. there will be more pics and another after install review.

i am however having another problem. i cant seem to get the connector to fit on the bulb when the bulb is in the light. i didnt have the oem lights because the projectors came with the car. there seems to be not enough clearnace for the connector to slide over the bulb. i have a 9005/9006 bulbs. but on the light housing they say HB3/HB4. are those different lights like maybe a little taller or are the same. heres a pic (sorry its blurry) to try and show you what im talking about. it has nothing to do with the lights because i saw a pic of the backs of the oem ones and theyre the same way. but i dont know if im missing something or what like maybe a spacer? the projectors had h3 bulbs so they were helt in completely differently.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
umm. nope. was just putting the stock wires to the plug. and if the headlights don't come with the bulb sockets, you could just buy them at auto zone. =) u should solder the wires but other than that its really easy.

oh and as far as your stock bulbs and that socket, your stock sockets are supposed to be L shaped. so the stock plug plugs up into the bulb. because on the passenger side headlight there isn't much clearance for the socket and the lamp because of the radiator coolant reservoir. i don't know how the projectors are connected so good luck w/ that.

·
Registered
688 Posts
the bulb in the picture is your hi beam bulb. the two little nubs inside tell you that. are you trying it there or in the low beam plug?
and why do you need to solder them? they take the oem size bulbs

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
VtecFreePrelude said:
the bulb in the picture is your hi beam bulb. the two little nubs inside tell you that. are you trying it there or in the low beam plug?
and why do you need to solder them? they take the oem size bulbs
i'm talking about putting real JDM headlights on. because he was questioning the simplicity of converting from USDM headlights to real JDM's. when you attach the stock wires to the H1/H4 sockets that go to the bulbs, you SHOULD solder the wires together. Anyone who knows anything about electrical wiring knows that you aren't supposed to just crimp wires together and put electrical tape. That goes for everything. but hey let us know how those headlights are.

·
The Good Stuff
3,587 Posts
Whichever I can get in the best shapre for the cheapest, I'll get. I prefer the real deal, I also like the lines across the but like its_me_again said, you gotta do what you gotta do. Either, ither, or, I think the black headlights will look wicked on my black Lude ;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
my bad i didn't know which pair was being talked about

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.