Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an auto 85 DX and I love it. Few little problems tho:
Tonight the headlights started flipping up and down by themselves. Messed with the headlight switch and it stopped, but we unplugged the motors to be safe. Where do I find a new switch? I'm also missing the hazard/ rear defog switch too.
My friend who I got the car from says the heater blower worked 3 weeks ago when he parked it, but it won't now. Fuse doesnt blow, and I can hear/feel the metal cylinder type relay down there click. But no fan. tried wiggling all connections, nothing. What could cause this?
Also, since this car needs new rotors, I'm thinking about upgrading the brakes altogether. I'm thinking greenstuff pads and these rotors:
http://r1-concepts-inc.amazonwebsto...83-Brake-Rotors-CrossDrilled/M/B001GS0DZC.htm
Anyone ever used these?
Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
well welcome to second gen life my freind lol. hazard switches are hard to come by. so if you have yours but its stuck. your better off fixing it rather than try to find another one. if you are mechanically inclined that way that is. as for your head lights. could the the switch or the control module located under the drivers side dash panel. your fan could be seized up, probly not since i havnt seen one seize yet but you never know. could be the motor just quit on you you will have to do some checking into that one. i am also looking at getting these rotors. havnt got much onfo on them as of yet but im sure sombody will comment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've dealt with lots of problems like these before, I'm from the volkswagen world. Car came with no hazard switch :( But as for the headlights, I will try to repair the switch and check out the control module.
I try and see if the fan motor is seized, but that would make the fuse blow wouldnt it? As it is I can barely get access to there, the book I have says "take out the glove box" but I can't figure it out for the life of me.:mad2:

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
lol yes the glove box is a fun one for sure. usually i just pull the whole lower dash out, it give you lots of room plus if you have to change the whole thing then it all has to come out anyway. the easiest way to check is to use a multi meter or test light and check for power going to the man fan wires. also for your headlights, check to make sure there isnt any corrosion in the plugs for the motors as this can somtimes couse the auto sync mechanism to try and sync the two motors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this morning my fan decided to work. sweet.
one other little prob, the oil light is on and I'm told that it's because the switch is bad. this is up on the back of the block under the carbs. from what i hear the only way to replace it it to remove the carbs. is this true?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oil was just changed and its not losing any. next time i change it i will change the sensor. thanks guys.
about lowering these cars, do springs from any other hondas fit?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
oil was just changed and its not losing any. next time i change it i will change the sensor. thanks guys.
Not sure but they make drop springs for them. Check out Summit Racing or NOPI online.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
wow thats kool do u knwo how to post pix up here , i can help u with ur ?s if u ever need any answers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This car is reminding me of a VW haha. left lowbeam went out today, but highbeam still works on that side. jiggled a bunch of wires, checked fuse, nothin. Would you guys say it's just the bulb?
Also I cleaned the headlight switch best I could (couldnt figure out how to get it out) and cleaned the headlight motor connectors and everything seems fine now.
One more thing, how the hell do I tension the power steering belt?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just to get sidetracked, here are a couple of the many VW's I've owned

mk2 Jetta and my friends Integra:

and my 83 rabbit, was resprayed glitter green and had a 16v with webers. was a fun car

I cant wait to get this prelude cleaned up and get some wheels on it.
Any pics of 2nd gen preludes with these wheels?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
sounds to me liek youve got a lude that will be needing much love lol. hope youve got the patientce for it. your best bet is to give it a detailed once over. replace all your bulbs to be sure they are new. have the front end checked for loose tie rod ends, ball joints and such. get the timing belt done if you dont know the last time it was done. that sort of rutine stuff so you know you have the bases covered and you should have a good car that hopfully wont plague you with little issues

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Actually, you can get adjustable coilovers for, I believe, 92-00 Integras. The rears from what I understand (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) are direct bolt-on. The fronts are almost a bolt-and-go except for having to widen the strut mount holes on the inner fenderwell. But there again, someone chime in if I'm wrong (which happens alot LOL).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts