Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 prelude 101200 miles. I had a mecanic change my piston rings with Hastings and changed my head gasket. THat was a thousand miles ago and the oil is dropping still a lil bit. Is this normal? How long should it take for the rings to seal?
THanks

·
DCOE45Z
2,946 Posts
the guy that built my motor last year hammered on it after about 5 hours of run time to seat the rings properly. Different people have mixed feelings about how to seat rings, im curious what the 3G Gurus have to say about this one!

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
REally? Well was it using oil at all after the rebuild for a litle bit? or no. YEah im curious bc am goin crazy over here. I need some input. The mechanic who rebuilt my motor specializes in that so Im kind of confused rite now.

Its' a B21a1 yeah he honed it.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
oh....i see...so i guess its just from the walls and the rings not loving each other like i love my baby lol...so i guess the guy just didnt do a great job on the honing?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The Crank? Never heard that one before. My head gasket seems to be perfect bc the antifreeze is JET NEON GREEN. I need sunglasses to look at it. LOL HMMM YEAH these engines are soo weird.:jehon:

ANd the device that wsa used to honed the walls looked like a big IUD intrauterine contraceptive device with like 3 prong things. Hard to explain

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Oh ok thanks man. Good thing i found this cuz i would have put those things in with out honing them. Then would have to do it all over again

So whats the best way to break in the rings. He asked this question before but it never got answered.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Follow the directions in the owners manual as if you just bought it new. You generally drive it on the high way at various speeds at 10-15 min intervals. For instance 55. Then 65. Then 75. and then repeat this for a couple hrs. Basically take it easy for the first 500 miles or so and don't drive at any set speed for too long. Honing is real important. Your valve guides are probably shot so that is where some of the oil is going.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hmmm... If you have a B21, then you are probably screwed. Unless that guy honed the cylinders with exactly the right stones and did it perfectly, that engine is always going to burn oil. Also, most Hastings rings are Chrome. Which means they are really hard. This is a good thing, in engines that have iron liners. They take a while to seat, but last a loooong time. Unfortunately, with your FRM liners, the chrome rings are going to chew them up in a hurry. Sorry, I think you are hosed.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Subject the vehicle to moderate acceleration from 20mph to 50mph at least ten times in succession. This will aid in seating the rings. Drive at varying speeds for the first 100 miles. Do not sustain steady high speeds as this will glaze the cylinder walls. Never overload or lug the engine during the brake-in period.

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
Kabuki said:
Hmmm... If you have a B21, then you are probably screwed. Unless that guy honed the cylinders with exactly the right stones and did it perfectly, that engine is always going to burn oil. Also, most Hastings rings are Chrome. Which means they are really hard. This is a good thing, in engines that have iron liners. They take a while to seat, but last a loooong time. Unfortunately, with your FRM liners, the chrome rings are going to chew them up in a hurry. Sorry, I think you are hosed.
we've already discussed this many times on the site... a harder ring would probably be better in the b21 BECAUSE of the FRM liners...the liners are super hard and they eat the rings...so why would a harder ring be bad? :Rock:

·
Registered
856 Posts
I think the B21 FRM cylinders get a bum rap on this site. By B21 has gone 230,000 plus miles and burns a moderate amount of oil. Just disassembled the engine for overhaul just because after 230,000 miles obviously it was due. I have never seen an engine that looked so good internally after 230,000 miles. No scoring of cylinder walls. All bearings and journals in great shape. Cylinders walls and pistons just at service limit. So technically after 230,000 miles all I would have to do is throw new rings in it and go again. However I am going ahead and having them bored 25 over just because I'm already in there and I have been saving up the money to be able to afford the new parts. I believe to many people make too big a deal about these cylinder walls just because they are non ferrous and have to be handled a little differently. Its basically a standard hone job using a rigid hone. Best done not at home but at the machine shop where they have rigid hones and is easy for them to comply with the special instructions as far as the rpm and pressure. It's really not that big of a deal when its done right. I don't see where all these people are coming up with the durability issues. 230,000 miles is proof enough for me that the durability issue is a myth.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts