Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum and Preludes...Just purchased my first and second (parts car maybe?) prelude. Been dreaming about owning one sense I was a kid. Accords just allways seem to fall into my lap. Untill yesterday. Both cars are 1989 2.0SIs. Paid $2500 for both (plus extra parts and a set of wheels)

The keeper is a 5speed. (174k miles)..started life light blue...but got a C+ quality black paint job that is now around 15yo. Not complaining too much as its helped stave off that signature Honda rust. But....it has an excelent 100% complete blue interior. The bad....does not run. Guy claimed a shop scoped it and said that it has a stuck exhaust valve on #2? Ive not torn onto at all yet....so we'll see. He seemed to think it needed a head job? But tbh he did not even know you could manually put the lights down.

The parts car (176k miles) is identical. Has a complete blue interior that is really clean minus the front carpet....but has some ugly cancer under the gas door and a bit underneath. But ive seen much worse. The paint is starting to fade on the top but is not peeling yet. Needs a tune up, but fired right up... runs and drives....does not stop...the rear breaks are completely rusted up. Has glass intact But Tbh...this really does not seem like a "parts car". Not much work and a title headache, and both cars could be back on the road.

What's your opinion? What should my first course of action be? Im not interested in building a race car....not a purest but no dreams of boost and 12sec 1/4s. Just want a quality gas saver thats fun to drive and I have an affinity for keeping the classics on the road.

(PS trying to upload more pics but having loading issues?)

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Stub
I'm just kinda conflicted as to weather or not I should try to get them both back on the road....or if I should sacrafice the semi rusty car and break it down for parts.

Is finding basic parts as much of a PIA as everyone makes it seem?

·
Registered
1985 Prelude
137 Posts
If there's a lot of rust. I get the impression from your description that there isn't that much but I'd need to see more pictures, particularly of the underside, to have a better idea. As for finding parts, if a part breaks that doesn't often break like a instrument cluster or turn signal switch, you'll have some difficulty finding a replacement, but the standard wear items like struts seem to be available.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know why....but it just won't let me upload more pictures. Not by attaching or embedding in the post.

But....i think most of the rust underneath is superficial. The spot under the gas door is gross. And has a bit of rust on the rear passenger wheel well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light

This is the worst of the rust on the parts car. Nothing under the car is ANYTHING like this rust. More like the rust you can see behind the plate pictured below.

Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

And here is a shot of the engine bay....

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold

Again, This is the running parts car. Aside from the obvious speaker wire....I think its completely untouched. Had been parked for over a year and once I got a good connection at the bat, she fired right up with out hesitation. All the fluids (save for break) were at appropriate levels, a little dirty....but no cross contamination. Zero smoke from the tail pipe.

Land vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Stub
Based on all the research I've done....I think I'll be better off using this car for parts. Going to swap motors to get the other ride running / driving ASAP (black 5speed....better pics to come today). Once thats done....im going to have the motor I pull rebuilt after I source some quality parts. Idk if i'm going to do it my self, or pawn it off on the local Honda wiz.

Ive been thinking about making some quailty "how to" videos out if these rides. Ive not found any good videos, they just don't seem to exist for the B20A5.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes, that seems like a decent find for what you paid! I was also going to suggest pulling the running motor out of the rusty car to drop into the black car, but since you already arrived at that decision before me, I would only suggest you do a compression test before you remove the engine, just to confirm all the cylinders are within a few psi of each other. Since you mentioned it fires right up, it probably does have good compression, but it's diligent to confirm pressures before undertaking a big job like that. Many don't have the convenience of confirming the health of a used engine before installing it in the recipient car. Also, check under the valve cover to make sure the engine has had proper maintenance.. Every time I buy used parts from other engines, they seem to be caked with a lot more gunk and carbon than the parts I take off my engine.

Instructional videos pertaining to 3g Prelude videos are certainly in short supply. I think people might take more interest in 3g Preludes if more helpful videos were available to them, and in turn, it may keep more Preludes on the road longer, which is always great to see. During your 'journey' you could document installing the parts car motor in the good car, and show how to maintain a stock motor, addressing any repairs needed along the way. And eventually, document the rebuilding of the other engine, showing what modifications you decided to perform, and why. This way, people can get a picture of what it's like to use a bone stock Prelude on a daily basis, and provide also ideas to improve the fun factor.

I've owned my 88 2.0Si 4WS for nearly 20 years, and it's been occasionally stressful, but overall enjoyable and rewarding to work on over the years.. Unfortunately it's getting harder to find replacement parts for many of the unique bits on the 3g Prelude, so I had to buy a parts car this year.. This allowed me to fix a few things that have been bothering me over the years and has improved my driving experience greatly, so that's a great asset to have on hand.

PS, I would like to see how black car looks with the aftermarket wheels from the blue car!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@d0gZpAw
Those are 17s
The cars came with another set of 16" 7 spokes that are a gun metal-ish grey. I fully plan on getting pics with both sets. But, both sets need a bit of work. The weather has just not been cooperating. I wanna get them propperly cleaned up prior to moving them into the shop. Supposed to be 64° today....so should be able to make some real progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So.....got the valve cover off for visual inspection and compression tested. Cyl 1 was in good shape, Had zero compression on 2/3, and 4 was pretty bad. So....will for sure be yanking this motor out and swapping. I imagine that it sounded pretty rough becuase all the lash was off, way loose. Idk if it was just a bad valve adjustment or wear n tear.

Going to go ahead and do the same testing on the parts car to be safe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 Prelude
137 Posts
@Stub
Based on all the research I've done....I think I'll be better off using this car for parts.
If the quarter panel is the only part that's rusted then imo it's worth fixing, but it's unlikely that's the only place that's rusted. It's not just surface rust either; you could probably stick your finger through that. I would expect to see rust in other areas, like in the trunk or the floor pan.

I've owned my 88 2.0Si 4WS for nearly 20 years, and it's been occasionally stressful, but overall enjoyable and rewarding to work on over the years.. Unfortunately it's getting harder to find replacement parts for many of the unique bits on the 3g Prelude, so I had to buy a parts car this year.. This allowed me to fix a few things that have been bothering me over the years and has improved my driving experience greatly, so that's a great asset to have on hand.
Getting a spare parts car is the smart option if you have the space to store it. The only replica parts (that I know of) are the ones on prelude3g.com, so if you break an obscure body part like a rear pillar molding or a heater controller, it's going to be a pain to get a replacement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Stub

Lol yeah that spot is real gross. The trunk is actually in good shape. The trunk seals are in good shape. However, The passenger window is dropped and it spent a bit of time uncovered and the carpet is dirty. But I beat on it a bit with a dead blow and it feels solid. Next time I get out there I've gotta put it up on jacks to get the wheels off and I can grab some pics underneath.

Now. I knew that I needed new ignition lock cylinders...but when I popped the cover off I realized that they had really done a number on the housing. Does anybody have a part number for this? I dont even know what you would call it. Parts car was worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well...got the parts car fired up and ran it down the road for the first time. First ride in a prelude. And even for an automatic with no breaks.....this thing is awesome. Discovered that the seat belt is not operational so I dare not have too much breakless fun.

Motor is running strong and it pulled hard through all gears up to 70mph. No CEL. Headed back out to compression test.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts