Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys, im new here. I just bought a 1998 Prelude. I wasnt driving this car hard at all. I had it for 2 days and now it sounds like this. is it rod knock? do i have spun bearings? let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's either rodknock or a failure in the heads. New engine time!

Where are you located? There's plenty of members on here, I'm sure a case of beer and someone would help with a motor swap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im in the seattle area, and yeah ive gotten some quotes from mechanics in the area i dont feel like dropping $1500 for labor! haha

·
Registered
62 Posts
masterkorey

Best of luck, that does sound like a rod. Good running engines can be found on eBay, I just purchased a crashed prelude from auction to fix my 98's bad auto transmission (it was MUCH less than trying to fix my transmission). I will be pulling my motor and tranns and swapping in the one from the crashed 99 as it only has 82K and my 98's has 123K so I will have a spare motor and trans in a weeks time.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fortunately the engine swap isn't too difficult with some help and you can find decent used engines for pretty cheap. You can go with a regular USDM engine to make it as simple as possible or a JDM motor with probably lower miles that would require you to do a few extra things. I'm a firm believer in karma and that guy probably knew he sold you shit, so hopefully he will get his in due time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fortunately the engine swap isn't too difficult with some help and you can find decent used engines for pretty cheap. You can go with a regular USDM engine to make it as simple as possible or a JDM motor with probably lower miles that would require you to do a few extra things. I'm a firm believer in karma and that guy probably knew he sold you shit, so hopefully he will get his in due time.
G-wiz

You know it, it always comes around it might take some time but it comes back around!

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
I think I know who sold you this Prelude. I want to say he had the engine installed by SpeedFactory? He really loved that car and he's an honest guy. He wouldn't screw someone over.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Unless it was making this noise right when you bought it I doubt he tried to scam you since it would be pretty hard to hide a rod failure or knock like that unlike hiding a CEL or light on the dash by clearing it for a short time. I think you honestly might of just had some really bad timing/luck. Not saying it's impossible but i've seen stuff like this with cars/trucks/dirt bikes the whole 9 even from friends buying from other buddies or family members, sometimes you do get that 1/million sh** draw.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Unless it was making this noise right when you bought it I doubt he tried to scam you since it would be pretty hard to hide a rod failure or knock like that unlike hiding a CEL or light on the dash by clearing it for a short time. I think you honestly might of just had some really bad timing/luck. Not saying it's impossible but i've seen stuff like this with cars/trucks/dirt bikes the whole 9 even from friends buying from other buddies or family members, sometimes you do get that 1/million sh** draw.
Agreed. Infamously I had a 2001 Camry Solara that worked great, for like 3 weeks, then suddenly on the highway it began overheating and finally threw a rod when I managed to get off the highway ( didn't want to get stuck on the hard shoulder ) The car was in good shape mechanically when I got it so there was no way the seller had scammed it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Korey, I'm sorry this happened to you. I had no idea this would happen. Like I told you when I sold you the car, that thing was my baby, I had it for 8 years, and its been driving me crazy that this happened. Unbelievable really because I had so much faith in the car. But you've definitely come to the right place to get help with it.

You mentioned 1500 in labor, For what labor(fixing the motor in it? new motor? or what) and where? just curious, cuz there are quite a bit of Honda(or import) specific shops around, with very different shop rates.

Pull the valve cover and look around. If nothing is obvious have someone rotate the engine by hand while you look.
Please do, I'd love to hear/see what you find.

It wasn't making any noise when I sold it to him. It is OBD1 and did have a code 9 (CYP- Basically needed a need dizzy) on cold start up. but otherwise no hidden lights or codes. I would've confidently driven that car across country any day of the week.

I think I know who sold you this Prelude. I want to say he had the engine installed by SpeedFactory? He really loved that car and he's an honest guy. He wouldn't screw someone over.
Thank you Marcus

Hit up N8r4d3 on this forum. He's in your neck of the woods and seems to live for bringing dead Hondas back to life.
Agreed, Nate (N8r4d3) is a amazing resource as far as preludes, and were lucky enough to have him right in our neck of the woods.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Korey, I'm sorry this happened to you. I had no idea this would happen. Like I told you when I sold you the car, that thing was my baby, I had it for 8 years, and its been driving me crazy that this happened. Unbelievable really because I had so much faith in the car. But you've definitely come to the right place to get help with it.

You mentioned 1500 in labor, For what labor(fixing the motor in it? new motor? or what) and where? just curious, cuz there are quite a bit of Honda(or import) specific shops around, with very different shop rates.

Please do, I'd love to hear/see what you find.

It wasn't making any noise when I sold it to him. It is OBD1 and did have a code 9 (CYP- Basically needed a need dizzy) on cold start up. but otherwise no hidden lights or codes. I would've confidently driven that car across country any day of the week.

Thank you Marcus

Agreed, Nate (N8r4d3) is a amazing resource as far as preludes, and were lucky enough to have him right in our neck of the woods.

We're good Nick, I was just angry. I've had a string of bad luck lately and this happening didn't help. I've had the engine looked at and the bottom end is pretty messed up. Im working on getting a new engine. Hopefully the work you've done prior will help make the swap easier. As to what happened to the engine....im not sure.. the car wasn't driven hard what so ever maybe the fuel pump died? Oh well. At the end of the day its just a car its not the end of the world. I'll get it fixed. time to start saving my pennies:eek:kay:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts