Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just bought a prelude off the the first owner, it runs and drives but I just want to ask you all on what should I look for to fix the car/replace parts so I can keep the engine healthy and running I can worry about looks later just want to make sure the engine does not die on due to bad maintenance on my part. Any advice helps, im so new to these cars / modification of cars.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Ereyna98, I just acquired my friends old 91 2.1Si. I worked on it about 10 years ago then I found out a few months back that he was letting it rot in his back yard because it was "shifting weird". I new I had to save it so I paid to tow it to my house so I could work on it. I told him I'd go though it and he can decide if it's worth it to him. Long/short, $600 parts later, he told me to just keep it. So I paid $600 for a gen 3 with 136K miles. So far I've done trans fluid service. Oil and filter. Fuel pump and filter. Repaired busted power steering line on the rack. Diagnosed parasitic drain from seat belt. Fixed passenger window motor switch. This morning I just got done with the rear end. Replaced both caliper, rotors, pads, and adjusted parking brake and complete flush on all 4 corners. Now I've got to diag the ABS light that just came on today. I hope it's just a wheel speed sensor in the rear. The right side was rubbing the rotor hub and I "manipulated" it a bit to get it to sit down a bit. I'd rather it be that than the dreaded abs pump fix. I'm planning on tagging it this week so I can drive it farther than just my country rode to see what's the deal on the transmission. It drove fine this morning, but the time before it didn't want to go to 4th. It's very intermittent.
Good luck on your journey. I look forward to using this forum. I've already bookmarked some outstanding write-ups that might help in the future.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi all,

I just bought a prelude off the the first owner, it runs and drives but I just want to ask you all on what should I look for to fix the car/replace parts so I can keep the engine healthy and running I can worry about looks later just want to make sure the engine does not die on due to bad maintenance on my part. Any advice helps, im so new to these cars / modification of cars.

Thanks,
What mileage does it have? I also bought a 91 SI just this last week, same thing, one owner. I highly suggest you invest in finding or purchasing a factory service manual. It's been very helpful to me so far and is worth every penny to have on hand. It'll have all the info your after such as tune up, maintenance, detailed pictures, diagrams, etc. It can be found online with some searching or purchasing one on eBay. That would be the very first thing I'd recommend.

As for keeping the engine going, keeping it well oiled is very important. The B21 engine that came with it (if that's what's still in it) tends to burn oil(there's plenty of forums to read through on why it does). Other things to mention, checking for compression will give you a good idea how healthy your engine is. Then I'd just start going down the list and changing out items... spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, O2 sensor, fuel filter, air filter, adjusting your valves, all of which is in the manual in detail.

Another site to check out is prelude3G.com I was just reading through some helpful posts the author did and it was helpful and not as painful as reading through forum and forum.

Hope this helps and enjoy your lude! And post a pic or two!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Look EVERYWHERE for rust. In trunk under carpet and under rear window. In all the window channels. Gas filler. Tight spots where you can't really see. Just look EVERYWHERE and eliminate it.

Get a gasket kit for the upper and lower motor.

New front rotors and motor mounts if you're feeling steering wheel vibrations.

Check all suspension bushings front and rear.

Tie rod boots

Ball joints

Get an intake adjusting screw before they're gone(Majestic Honda still has them)

Clean everything with Simple Green and Electric Connector cleaner

Flush coolant and check thermostat

Check the electric connectors after cleaning for shorts or broken parts

New spark plug wires and cap if needed (use NGK)

Replace the seals in the distributor and CYL Sensor (there's a YouTube how to that shows you how to do it perfectly)

Check exhaust system for holes and replace or plug if needed.

Check all bulb sockets for rust and grime. Same with grounds in motor and battery

Oh yah GET A SERVICE MANUAL both the main volumes 1 and 2 and the electric system volume.

·
Super Moderator
17,494 Posts
What mileage does it have? I also bought a 91 SI just this last week, same thing, one owner. I highly suggest you invest in finding or purchasing a factory service manual. It's been very helpful to me so far and is worth every penny to have on hand. It'll have all the info your after such as tune up, maintenance, detailed pictures, diagrams, etc. It can be found online with some searching or purchasing one on eBay. That would be the very first thing I'd recommend.

As for keeping the engine going, keeping it well oiled is very important. The B21 engine that came with it (if that's what's still in it) tends to burn oil(there's plenty of forums to read through on why it does). Other things to mention, checking for compression will give you a good idea how healthy your engine is. Then I'd just start going down the list and changing out items... spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, O2 sensor, fuel filter, air filter, adjusting your valves, all of which is in the manual in detail.

Another site to check out is prelude3G.com I was just reading through some helpful posts the author did and it was helpful and not as painful as reading through forum and forum.

Hope this helps and enjoy your lude! And post a pic or two!
All that information you are talking about is all on here.
And the owner of Prelude3g.com is on here -MustardCat is his username.

Anything your ever wanted to know about 3rd gens all stem from this forum as it is the biggest forum for 3rd gens in the world.
We help to build it up and transfer all the known data from the old hondaprelude.com forum which died decads ago.

·
Registered
55 Posts
All that information you are talking about is all on here.
And the owner of Prelude3g.com is on here -MustardCat is his username.

Anything your ever wanted to know about 3rd gens all stem from this forum as it is the biggest forum for 3rd gens in the world.
We help to build it up and transfer all the known data from the old hondaprelude.com forum which died decads ago.
I was just trying to be helpful to the discussion starter (as well as "new" owners in the future). We have all at one point have been green when it comes to our preludes. This forum is an awesome resource that imo is under utilized by many of it's users. My hat is off to you and users like mustardcat. You guys have helped me more than I can rely. Just trying to participate when I can to hopefully be helpful to others.

·
Super Moderator
17,494 Posts
I was just trying to be helpful to the discussion starter (as well as "new" owners in the future). We have all at one point have been green when it comes to our preludes. This forum is an awesome resource that imo is under utilized by many of it's users. My hat is off to you and users like mustardcat. You guys have helped me more than I can rely. Just trying to participate when I can to hopefully be helpful to others.
Also don't take my responses in any form personal offense.
I was just letting you know that we have all been there and done it.
So you will run into a few of us that have hit on every possible subject about this community and this chassis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts