Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that the Jackson charger will heat up enough to burn carbon fiber hoods. Any truth to this? If so, will like a heat shield liner in the area of the blower remedy this?

Thanx

·
Registered
30 Posts
No it wouldnt get hot enough to melt your hood....my turbo doesnt and regular engine heat doesnt...i think i read somewhere that it has to reach upwards of 350 degrees to melt cf not sure tho...but i wouldnt worry about it melting your hood at all...

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
from experience: no it wont melt it

·
Memento Mori
7,501 Posts
It wont melt them, but excsssive heat can damage the clear/gel coat on the hood.

Here is what happened to my CF hood after a few years of daily driving:

It is only happening right over where the header is, so it is definately heat related.

Simple fix though, just put a little heat resistant material on the underside of the hood, over the turbo or header. Or get a hood with a vent right over the header to let the heat out.

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
you could sand it down a bit and recoat it with a coat or so.

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
ha, you should see my hood. The top of my header sits about an inch from my hood when its closed. When i close the hood, i can push down on it and touch the header, lol. My hood is cracked so bad and its only getting worse.....oh well, lol.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Preludesi_2004 said:
you could sand it down a bit and recoat it with a coat or so.

thats a special epoxy coating though right? nothing you could buy a Homedepot. im looking at buying myself a gift after my turbo install is done and im thinking its going to be an OEM CF hood by VIS. I will be wrapping my mani in heat wrap but if that happens to my CF hood i would like to know how i can fix that

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
2.2L said:
ha, you should see my hood. The top of my header sits about an inch from my hood when its closed. When i close the hood, i can push down on it and touch the header, lol. My hood is cracked so bad and its only getting worse.....oh well, lol.
in my opinion, stick with the stock hood
no probs, no worries

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts
playboyesq said:
thats a special epoxy coating though right? nothing you could buy a Homedepot. im looking at buying myself a gift after my turbo install is done and im thinking its going to be an OEM CF hood by VIS. I will be wrapping my mani in heat wrap but if that happens to my CF hood i would like to know how i can fix that
most CF hoods are clear coated.
sand it down and buff it out, or re-clear it.

as for a coating for the bottom of the hood, there's heat resistant material you can buy that has a sticky back...

nicest i've seen is gold-coated (gold has some of the best heat reflective properties, which is why the mclaren f1 engine bay is covered in 24k) and it works really well...
it's like the blankets they make to cover the bottom of the oil pan to keep the exhaust heat out of the oil...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
actually i think the vis have a gel coat. The layer is WAAAY to thick to be clear coated, unless they spray individual hoods with about 10 layers. my hood has a pretty thick coat and one of the painters at the shop said its either a gel or a resin type coating to it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
it is a resine that hold the CF together but i wasnt sure if the resine is left on as the top coat or if it was infact a clear coat. i guess it all depends on the manufacturer of the hood. im going with an OEM VIS hood when im done my turbo install

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
And, correct me if im wrong, but a jrsc shouldnt really put out as much heat as a turbo, considering its on the intake side not the hot side. And the fact that the washer bar is right on top of it almost, air coming in might help cool the sc down a bit.

·
Registered
750 Posts
dont think the washer bar lets air through the hood. are you talking 5th 4th or 3rd gens.. 3rd gens it doesnt but there isnt a supercharger kit for a 3rd gen neway

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
Preludesi_2004 said:
And, correct me if im wrong, but a jrsc shouldnt really put out as much heat as a turbo, considering its on the intake side not the hot side. And the fact that the washer bar is right on top of it almost, air coming in might help cool the sc down a bit.
well yeah, the turbo is blowing out an exhaust and the jrsc is sucking in air. The JRSC is the only thing you have consider heat soak since it makes a difference in the temperature of the air coming into the head. it wouldnt really matter if the turbo gets hot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts