Honda Prelude Forum banner

jdm type s intake?

2K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Echo_1 
#1 ·
anyone have the type s intake? and is it better than an after market cold air? i wanna get one but dont want to lose the power?
also looking into the euro accord intake manifold anyone have one and dose it make more power?

See less See more
#7 ·
i have a aem cold air intake and i love that but im going for a sleeper look under the hood! you can hear the intake sucking in at a stand still!! cant really hear when im driving cause of my cat-back

#13 ·
#15 · (Edited)
I know that the AEM doesn't really fit well on SH's, so how does the Type-S compare in sound and power to the AEM? I love the S2k sounding VTEC my stocker has w/ just a K&N drop-in, and I'd love to make that louder. And of course I love induction sound everywhere else, too. :)

I know that the AEM doesn't really fit well on SH's, so how does the Type-S compare in sound and power to the AEM? I love the S2k sounding VTEC my stocker has w/ just a K&N drop-in, and I'd love to make that louder. And of course I love induction sound everywhere else, too. :)

#16 ·
converge said:
type s > v2

i've had both.

type s = teh sex
I'm gonna have to strongly disagree with that one. Unless you're a hardcore JDM guy, the type-s intake is just that, a STOCK intake. A buddy of mine had a type-s intake on his 01 sh when he bought it. we swapped a crappy ebay intake w/an even crappier filter I had laying around on it just for kicks, and he never swapped back, just because even that crappy intake felt much better, but those aren't dyno results, although we are splitting some time at a local dyno soon, so I might convince him to see what is actually better, but as far as feel & sound, eff the type-s intake.

#17 ·
0-60motorsports said:
I'm gonna have to strongly disagree with that one. Unless you're a hardcore JDM guy, the type-s intake is just that, a STOCK intake. A buddy of mine had a type-s intake on his 01 sh when he bought it. we swapped a crappy ebay intake w/an even crappier filter I had laying around on it just for kicks, and he never swapped back, just because even that crappy intake felt much better, but those aren't dyno results, although we are splitting some time at a local dyno soon, so I might convince him to see what is actually better, but as far as feel & sound, eff the type-s intake.
Sounds good to me. It is a stock intake that costs as much as a good CAI, and if it doesn't feel or sound as good as even an Ebay intake maybe its not so good. :tongue: I don't actually expect to get much more outta this car from any basic bolt-ons, so just like w/ exhaust, you gotta base ur decision off of sound, quality, and style.

#18 · (Edited)
lol when does having jdm means that you have the best? If your going for a sleeper look then the jdm box is fine. The person that recommended the v2..... I'm here to say.. F v2! I'm disapointed in with it. Though I must admit it sounds good.

I'm sure somebody will ask why? Well its a short ram intake with bigger piping thats designed for sound (notice I didn't say anything about performance). Rsx have lost power with it, gsr teggys hydrolock with. Everybody that I know that have bought the v2 went right back to there regular CAI. When asked why? They simply replied, "It sucks!" Now if there are so many people saying it sux, then there must be some truth to. Also, look at it like this.... its specifications are for 92-01 ludes right? Well I've posted a picture of the v2 rubbing on my hood. It does not fit all ludes flushed. Mine is one example of it not fiting flush.

Bottom line: If you want sound and looks, by all means go with the v2. IF your looking for your moneys worth, by any other cold air intake besides aem (I'm bias against aem & dc products) and you'll be pleased. Just because something is JDM doesn't means its the best.

Edit: Aem did not spend the time, money and effort even designing a cold air set, why should you even bother spending 200 and change on something thats not even specified? Just out right GARGBAGE IMHO!

#19 ·
thanks for the infor guys! the v2 seem good but dosent fit good and the good sound which im not looking for, im looking for stock looking but more performance with the jdm type s intaake vs the us stock intake, but no one can tell its not stock!! the motor looks stocks, everything is clean i just want the stock look but with the power to back it up, my aom cold air looks, sounds great great but looks after market! and yes i had to cut a wider hole to fit the intake tubing but the type intake will hind the that!
i have the cams/cam gears but only the min cut off so u only see the cams gears if u look at the side of the motor, i love the sleeper look, no one knows it all motor hehe!
as for the euro accoud intake, i know u gotta make some fitting to make it fit but it still look stock but has a greater bore size and is a single runner vs the dual runnings (more power with the stock look!)

#21 ·
i heard the V2 is good. i had a buddy with one on a GSR and it sucked up some water, so thats not cool.

but i dont like the look of em. they just look stupid. ya i know function over form, but to me a intake is an intake, most claims on basic i/h/e for 10-15 hp is to the floywheel. i made 174 WHP with a ebay intake/filter, HP header, and a HKS exhaust, with a SAFC.

IMO save the 200+ bucks and just get a 50 dolla one off ebay, and invest in a Kand N filter

#22 ·
i dont understand the thrashing on the v2, i've had mone for about a month and i'm very happy with it. No i diddnt really notice any performance gains, maybe a little tad better in acceleration, but the sound is just lovely. Also vtec sounds so much nicer in with the v2.

and as for fitment, i had no issues whatsoever. i installed it in 45 minutes and it fits perfectly without touching anything in my engine or the hood. i've had a couple of rainy days too and no signs of hydrolocking.

thats what i think.

#23 ·
Antonious said:
i dont understand the thrashing on the v2, i've had mone for about a month and i'm very happy with it. No i diddnt really notice any performance gains, maybe a little tad better in acceleration, but the sound is just lovely. Also vtec sounds so much nicer in with the v2.

and as for fitment, i had no issues whatsoever. i installed it in 45 minutes and it fits perfectly without touching anything in my engine or the hood. i've had a couple of rainy days too and no signs of hydrolocking.

thats what i think.
+1. I'm sorry, I don't really see how it could not fit well. All V2 intakes for the 5th gen are exactly the same, as are all 5th gen Preludes, (as least in the areas that it matters for this application). Why is it that only a few people have problems with it. Honestly, this is the first time that I've heard of any issues with fitment. Mine fits perfectly and it sounds fucking awesome. Also, you'd have to plow through a 2.5' deep puddle to hydrolock with a V2 on a 5th gen.

#24 ·
v2 = sucks in hot air. that's really all that needs to be said about that. how hot do you think your engine bay gets after 20 minutes of driving? exactly. you really can't do much better than the stock airbox besides making it bigger, which is exacty what they type-s does. sucking in hot air isn't going to help anything, even if you suck in more of it.

if you wanna be a high school ricer and buy an intake because it sounds cool, then go ahead and buy a v2 or some other aem garbage for $260.

#25 ·
converge said:
v2 = sucks in hot air. that's really all that needs to be said about that. how hot do you think your engine bay gets after 20 minutes of driving? exactly. you really can't do much better than the stock airbox besides making it bigger, which is exacty what they type-s does. sucking in hot air isn't going to help anything, even if you suck in more of it.

if you wanna be a high school ricer and buy an intake because it sounds cool, then go ahead and buy a v2 or some other aem garbage for $260.

an intake is never going to do anything powerwise

#26 ·
i get alot of mix thoughts on the v2 intake!! but i dont like the short ram because it sucks in hot air, i already have a aem cold air but i dont worry about sucking in water cause i dont drive it when it rains or snows hehe! it only see nice days! spoiled if u say :)
thanks for the infor on the type s intake, i wouldnt know it loses power cause its on the 220hp jdm prelude, but as far as the intake manifold im going to do it, if i dont sell my car first i been thinking of getting an s2000 or a evo?
but no vtec with a evo :wzbigcry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.