Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'll try to sum this up. i have a h22a with an h22a4 ecu. i'm getting misfires all across the board, but with no other codes. along with this, i'm experiencing poor fuel economy as well as a thin white smoke coming out of the exhaust when i accelerate in high rpms (and no, it's not coolant). i have a new exhaust and headers waiting to be put installed but i want to get this resolved first out of fear of the new exhaust getting clogged with unnecessary deposits. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Administrator
6,864 Posts
As long as everything on the engine was converted to OBD2 US spec sensors etc. - It should run fine but possibly a little lean.

How do the distributor cap/rotor and spark plugs look?
Have the EGR ports and valve ever been cleaned?
Injectors all clean? Fuel filter due?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as everything on the engine was converted to OBD2 US spec sensors etc. - It should run fine but possibly a little lean.

thanks for your reply. dis, cap/rotor and spk plugs are all new. i'll inspect EGR and i think the fuel filter is somewhat new as well

·
Administrator
6,864 Posts
thanks for your reply. dis, cap/rotor and spk plugs are all new. i'll inspect EGR and i think the fuel filter is somewhat new as well

Have you done a leak down and compression test?

Also, are you running a catalytic converter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

haven't done compression test since i got the motor, it has around 55k miles. and currently not running a cat, i'n afraid it'll get suffocated with all the smoke pouring out

haven't done compression test since i got the motor, it has around 55k miles. and currently not running a cat, i'n afraid it'll get suffocated with all the smoke pouring out

·
Registered
1999 Prelude. F20B/K20A hybrid rebuild
184 Posts
Like Wing said, I would definitely start with a compression and/or leakdown test first(either one can be useful), because what it sounds like is the motor is consuming oil (white/grey/blueish smoke) BUT without confirming solid compression we can’t decide if the misfires are mechanical or hardware related. Excessive fuel will cause dark black smoke, if you’re experiencing light smoke then it’s oil being burned ( H22’s are notorious for burning oil ) . Any CEL Codes either? If it’s giving any codes that will be important

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Hopefully you swapped out the oil pump housing and have the CKP/TDC at the crank and not just wired in a JDM dizzy ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts