Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a replacement transmission from Japan Direct. Al and Jerry were very helpful, I would recommend them to anyone. Great price, fast shipping, and awesome transmission. Yeah, all-around greatness.

Anyway, here is some information for the forum that I don't think exists, because yes I have searched for it, and it is usefull.

I called Japan Direct last week to purchase a D2A4, after about an hour talking to Al he informed me that he had several and could ship right away. After paying for my order I received a call back about the trans. It seems they had no D2A4, but they had several other transmissions that would work for a 90-91 Prelude Si (we all know that it doesn't matter if you have a 2.0 or 2.1, the transmissions were all the same for those years.)

What they had confused me. A D2J4, D2J5, and some other designations I had never heard of. I was worried because I had already not been driving for over a week. Al went the extra mile and ordered a clutch kit for a 91 prelude Si after I told him that the input shaft would have to match that clutch kit in order to work with my clutch. He told me that it fit the D2J4 no problems so I told him to ship it even though I was still skeptical about the throwout bearing and a possible axle issue like the D2E4. I was also worried that I would get a transmission for the carbed 88-89 Prelude.

The transmission arrived today, I checked everything, everything matched exactly like the D2A4 I had taken out, and it had a big old stinking "D2J4" sticker on it. Axles, clutch disk, seals, pilot bearing (custom), absolute exact replacement. $490 shipped to the midwest. Apparently a JDM D2J4 is the same as a USDM D2A4. Cool

It's 4:00 a.m. here and I finished the install an hour ago. Never had a smoother shifting transmission. Also the Competition Clutch kit I installed (12 lb. Chromoly flywheel, Stage 4 disk and pressure plate) for a 94-01 ITR GSR works perfectly. Thanks for all the info on the clutch, I love the increased acceleration, the Lude just fucking Sings. Wow. Anyway gots to go to work at 7:30 AM so I better hit the rack.

Any questions on how I made my custom pilot bearing just PM me, It really really really helped with the clutch installation because I was able to use something to align the clutch disk on the GSR flywheel. The stock 90-91 Prelude flywheel don't need no stinking pilot bearing/bushing, but it sure does benefit clutch installation when using the GSR flywheel/clutch combo by using a pilot bearing.

Peace in the middle east.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
wow congrats.. daym stage 4.. riskey man.. using a tranny that we have tired :) hopefully theres advantages of that tranny i wonder if the gear ratio's are any different.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
From my understanding, the D2J4 is from the base model 90-91. Not sure on the specs though.

Please post back with what speed you're at in 5th gear at 4000rpms. My old D2a4 was around 4100-4200...

·
穏やかな旅行&#
4,713 Posts
All USDM 90-91's had the D2A4 regardless of trim level (Ie the 90 S, and all 2.0Si's and Si's).

88-89's had different transmissions though. 88 2.0Si had D2J5, 88 2.0S had D2J3. 89 2.0Si had the D2J4 IIRC, not sure what the 89 2.0S had.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I have to disagree w/ you. It's been noted/said that a 90 base S model had a D2J4. I didn't see it but someone I've talked to has (Matthewhutt I believe).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am cruising at just above 80 m.p.h. @ 4000 r.p.m.'s in 5th gear. It feels just like the D2A4 but no grindy grindy in 3rd & 5th anymore, Yeah! Boy that flywheel lets the engine wind up fast. Need alignment bad cause I changed the rear engine crossmember, lower control arms, and steering rack w/ power steering hose to complete my carb to FI swap, there was a difference because my camber is better, but the fronts are towed out wicked. When I get it done I will try to run down to Mo-Kan dragway and get some numbers for you guys.

Take it EASY.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
That speed at 4000rpms doesn't sound right for a D2A4. Sure it's only off by a bit but it is off! ;) It's not close to the D2J5 either though...

BTW, you have stock gauges? I wonder if maybe your speedo is off by a bit and the ratios are the same...

J

·
0 Posts
no his speed and rpm's are right, i travel that every day, theres alot of freeway where i am and i travel it often. p[lus the speed limit here is 70 and gets really law-less north of me.

80mph and a hair above 4K is spot on

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Did you read his post though? He's saying something different. He says he's at 4000rpm and a hair above 80. You're at 80 and a hair above 4000rpm. Not much of a difference...his speedo might be off a bit.

You see the exact same thing I saw for 3+ years with my 91. ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Kalm_Traveler said:
All USDM 90-91's had the D2A4 regardless of trim level (Ie the 90 S, and all 2.0Si's and Si's).

88-89's had different transmissions though. 88 2.0Si had D2J5, 88 2.0S had D2J3. 89 2.0Si had the D2J4 IIRC, not sure what the 89 2.0S had.
carbureted 89's had a D2M4. just did some google searching.

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but i am running my 88 carbed tranny with my JDM B20A. there are no problems, so i am just wondering what the difference is...?? anyone know the tranny differences in 1988 models??

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
To a degree. You need to have matching clutch and flywheel though. The trannys bolt up the same way but the input shafts/splines are different

·
Registered
2 Posts
tanny info

I have an 89 prelude 2.0si with a jdm b20a motor and automatic tranny. I would like to swap the motor into my 90 prelude 2.0si that is a 5speed and has a thrown rod. I just wanted to make sure the jdm b20a motor would bolt up to the usdm d2a4 tranny. Any information relating to this swap would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Regardless of engine:

88-89 transmissions need 88-89 clutch and flywheel.
90-91 transmissions need 90-91 clutch and flywheel.

simple.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
the d2m4 out of an 89 carb has a longer 5th gear.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
88 Prelude Si with D2j5 does appx 55 mph at 2250 RPMs.
Tires = 205/40/R17

Not bad, eh?

*edit*
But wait. What good is it to post this nonsense if we are comparing our gear ratios with speeds dependent on the speed the transmission turns. What I mean is, 55mph on the cluster may actually be 59mph on radar or GPS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a d2j4 manual transmission from a carburated engine can anyone tell me what id need to change/swap to make it work on a b20a thats fuel injected with electric speedometer sensor

1 - 20 of 24 Posts