Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...92414&ih=016&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=

this is the link for the jdm bb4 steering wheel, which has cruise control built into it. Now, since I have a coin holder taking up my spot for the switches (and another to spare for $35 shipped, if anyone is interested PM me) and have the sunroof and dimmer controls already rerouted into my 94-96 console I recently swapped in, the CC is all that is left.

So my question to you is, has anybody done this JDM Prelude steering wheel and hooked up the cc? and if so, how did the wiring go about, ie was it easy, do you have a diagram, etc? The only reason I would buy this steering wheel is if I know the CC will work with a little effort, so any input would be well-received before I waste $50. If no one has done it, or knows anything about it and is interested, I will be the guinea pig and do a write-up while I'm at it. Thanks

·
Banned
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump... nobody knows anything? sorry if its been covered i searched but may not have used the right search words. this is the final link to my interior rewiring job, so helllllllllllp. please? :redface:

·
Back 2 Hackin
4,375 Posts
When you take the steering wheel off, you will see that you have to take the buttons off. All you have to do is run those wires to whatever switch you want.

It should be easy.

·
Banned
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you take the steering wheel off, you will see that you have to take the buttons off. All you have to do is run those wires to whatever switch you want.

It should be easy.

ahh, so nothing hard. i just wanted to make sure before i bought it and then found that the cruise wouldnt work and i needed some special non-existent relay or something. thanks for the info man, i appreciate it. now on to buying it :tounge:

·
Banned
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let me know how it works out
yeah, i just want it to control the cruise control, as i already have a 97-99 aura cl switch in for my sunroof, and an edm dimmer switch for my dimmer, as i have a jdm coin holder taking their spots on the dash. just rerouting all the switches, and this is the last one. ill let you all know how it turns out, im gonna go for it when i find it again

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
this is the last one. ill let you all know how it turns out, im gonna go for it when i find it again
It should be pnp, and those buttons are the same as the USDM. set/accel/decel. Removing the cruise button from the dash and putting those switches on will probably cause your cc not to work. You either need the button to be hidden, or jumped so it's always on. That way you can set it whenever you want. Pressing the brakes or clutch pedal turns it off anyway.

Doing some actual research via looking in the JDM service manual pdf's electrical diagram in the back of it would have showed you that.

Replacing the steering wheel for a cc button you THINK will replace a factory cc kill switch just to clear up a space is just plain stupid for the simple fact that you risk SAFETY by removing the wheel with an airbag.

The JDM coin pockets were options on trims that didn't offer cruise control. That is why the coin pockets are only on certain trims in Japan. Also, the true BB4 didn't have a sunroof, that is why there is no real prelude factory sunroof switch that really fits in the console.

·
Banned
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahh i see what youre saying that makes sense. i thought that the jdm steering wheel would allow me to just run the wires stright into the steering wheel, as i figured since they have the coin pocket, there is no on/off switch for the CC on jdm options. didnt even think of the fact the coin holders came on no CC, no sunroof models... thanks man, but i think im going with the jdm steering wheel anyways, i bought it on ebay.co.uk today for $20. i like the H emblem on it, and honestly, my first prelude, at 18 yrs old, i was nearly killed when a truck t-boned me and my airbag didnt go off, so i dont really trust those things at all. if an airbag was ever supposed to go off, it should have then and didn't, so to hell with airbags IMO. personally, my steering wheel is worth the $100 ill fetch with the wheel/airbag combo intact.

It should be pnp, and those buttons are the same as the USDM. set/accel/decel. Removing the cruise button from the dash and putting those switches on will probably cause your cc not to work. You either need the button to be hidden, or jumped so it's always on. That way you can set it whenever you want. Pressing the brakes or clutch pedal turns it off anyway.

Doing some actual research via looking in the JDM service manual pdf's electrical diagram in the back of it would have showed you that.

Replacing the steering wheel for a cc button you THINK will replace a factory cc kill switch just to clear up a space is just plain stupid for the simple fact that you risk SAFETY by removing the wheel with an airbag.

The JDM coin pockets were options on trims that didn't offer cruise control. That is why the coin pockets are only on certain trims in Japan. Also, the true BB4 didn't have a sunroof, that is why there is no real prelude factory sunroof switch that really fits in the console.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts