Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Hepcat
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased this fully working Air Refiner - it is from a DA integra guys, and also 4th Gen Lude and 2nd gen legend. I think Honda also used this same one in those year Civics and accord? Except there was a dome-light version too in some cars.

I know I am not being a 2nd gen purist here, but I have always wanted some kind of air refiner, whether I have to buy a domestic home air refiner and hide it under the seat or in the boot. This way I have a very nice Honda unit that I can have on my parcel tray. Maybe one day I will be able to get a 2nd gen unit and pass this one on to the 4th gen and Teg guys. I still value it as a rare Honda option even if it is not 2nd gen specific.

You can see it has a wireless infrared remote that clips over your sun visor. The unit sits on the rear parcel shel much the same as they all do.

Check out the blue writing - this is the best Engrish I have seen in a while! Thanks Honda!

I think it will still suit the car well. Perhaps it is a little too rounded but I think it is okay. The blue writing will really match my interior color theme.

"Clean air refresh you and keep you awake. It is healthful for you and your partner. Have a comfortable and safety drive." Thanks Hirotoshi, you are too kind.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
dude very nice man i just wsh i had a switch for mine. i messed up my filter im hoping someone can help me find another filter im so sad

·
Hepcat
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dude very nice man i just wsh i had a switch for mine. i messed up my filter im hoping someone can help me find another filter im so sad
Buy some activated-charcoal face masks, and then cut it out and mount it over your filter frame.

The benefit of the 4th gen refiner is that you can still buy filters from honda and I think maybe even the whole unit itself.

EDIT: I hope I'm not committing sacrilege by using a non-2nd gen part...

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
1,697 Posts
"Have a comfortable and safety drive".. Ba ha ha,, I just laughed out loud and people are looking at me funny!

Congrats mate.. fanstastic find.

Z

·
Hepcat
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is funny as hell!! looks super cool tho what does it do is it like a ionization thing or what does it really do?

Actually it has a special JDM-drive to pump out JDM air. Unless you are breathing jdm air you aren't truly jdm. ;-)

Seriously though, it ionises, and hence deoudorises the air, and also has a circulating fan and activated charcoal filter. The negative ions in the air also attach to positively charged dust/pollen/smoke particles and then they fall to the ground. They also are attracted to the neg charged filter so hopefully get sucked through the refiner than fall to the ground.

It'll be intersting to see if my interior gets less dusty with this unit.

·
Hepcat
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Haha LOL!

No implications. That is the only report I have found on the internet - that they cut down the fast food odor significantly in seconds after turned on when you are eating in the car. I don't eat or smoke in my car, but when I am occasionally picking up a pizza this will be handy because I hate it when you get in the car the next morning and it still smells like musty stale pizza. Also, my car is starting to reek of burned oil. >_< We have heaps of dirt roads that get hella dusty in the dry Australian Summer. This would help keep interior free from dust.

I really want to figure out how the auto function works. I assume it just puts the machine on an periodic duty cycle with no actual feedback. But if it has a sensor to detect the ions in the air or something, I will be extremely impressed!

EDIT: I hope it helps prevent hayfever. I suffer really badly.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
well that good lol

im sure it would help with many different odors and stuff but im not so sure about the dust and polen. you might try installing a cabin air filter like most newer cars have. it would be a bit tricky if you have an a/c eqiuped car but fairly easy on a non a/c car

·
Hepcat
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I get my digital climate system, I thought about replacing the foam filters with activated carbon foam filters. The carbon probably wont aid in removing particles as large as pollen, but at least some new foam filters might help. I will investigate installing a ;cabin air filter' I take it these appear at the outside of the car where the air intake is for the cabin.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
well the cabin filters generally go before the fan intake. BUT in our case not realy having acces to that area very easy you could substitute for after the fan. with a no a/c car you could modify the white accordion air pipe to hold a cabin filter. if you measured the space avail you could match it up to a filter for a newer car wich is designed for polen and other things of that nature

·
Hepcat
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good advice, thanks man. I will try and do both. I will do in cabin when I install the auto climate system. I will do external when I have the engine out.

I still don't know if I want to go with or without AC after the rebuild. It can get super fucking hot around here. And the AC is required for the auto climate to operate at it's full potential. If I keep AC, I might try to install an aftermarket electric unit. I have heard they are very efficient now days. If I keep AC I will definitely convert to a manual rack because I want to have a very clean and bare engine bay. Installing a new aftermarket AC will allow me to tuck or hide all the wires and lines where possible.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
ok hayden yea ull laugh at me wat i did to mine. i was cleaning out my jdm air refiner . ok so dont laugh . so i took the filter out it had a little frame . and i said i want to clean this filter so its real clean when its ionizing the air so i dipped it in water . and scrubbed it with a tooth brush then it just dis agrated as soon as i pulled it up out of the water . i said oh shit now wat am i gonna do?

so please describe to me exaclty how to do this new filter im confused wat ur talking about do u have pics of this charocal thing. also my frame is long and rectangle just like a cd player face. and it has 3 squares in sectons for filters divided by a plastic piece

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
george can u find one . for a 2nd gen or 3rdgen accord .

1 - 20 of 58 Posts