Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jbgough's All In Ground up Build 2000 5spd Base

Been meaning to do this a couple years ago but now seems like a good time since it's the winter storage season and I finally hit my first milestone of getting the entire exterior 110% Fully complete(besides maybe a Mid spec-s spoiler down the road) and my interior at about 60-70% done. Hopefully to be 100% interior by next winter or during so i can finally go all out on my motor/tranmission and turbo build. Car is a 2000 5spd base model

This car was technically my first legit own car that I traveled 2 days to get with my dad and all my own money from the accident that I was in with my first car which was my parent's hand me down automatic 1998 corolla in purple with racing flags :wzbigcry: Within a 30 day span I was in 3 car accidents all of which none were my fault and the second accident was actually in the rental car from the first as we were turning into my street and got rear ended....People legit know me for having one of the worst luck track records possible no kidding, and I was also otw home from picking up my new rebuilt snowmobile motor which recently blew up lol(it's never ending honestly) Figured i'd just toss up some pics over the last few years and how everything started so hopefully it dosen't go against the rules or anything. Just figured I get most of the explaining out of the way now.

The Lude always caught my eye since junior high and was one of my favourite cars honda made besides the NSX and will probably be the only honda or fwd car I ever own but I will NEVER be letting it leave my hands and have no doubt i will own nicer and faster cars down the road(hopefully a evo ix in a year or two for year round daily) but the lude will always be my life long keeper car and project even if i loose interest it will sit in the garage untill I decide to pick at it again. I always overkill anything i pick at but with this car I want a complete 110% bumper to bumper ground up restore even though it was 9/10 mint when I first got it from the original owner all bone stock not a single thing touched and never seen snow or salt/winter in it's entire life.

Overall Goal: car better then oem in every way and something that can do it all from daily, car shows, long trips and small auto cross events or the odd event once a year at the drag strip a few hours away from home.

Some pics of my first car my parents gave me after getting my license a few years ago...some lady ran right through a red light and we smashed right into her passenger door while i had the green to go straight( she only had her license for 6 months and wrote off 4 cars), needless to say she does not drive a anymore as far as i still know

Months later after looking at 3-4 different local ludes but all had issues or rust starting and mods I finally found what seemed like to be gold which was a 110% bone stock mature owned one owner car that was originally bought brand new in toronto and was never touched except all dealer matinence stock cd player and all.
First picture about 5minutes after buying the car and 2 days of traveling and a boat ride across from the island I live at.

bottom picture of the car

Just some pictures after a detailing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Some pictures of my other favorite life passion(snowmobiling)

My old 2004 600ho Renegade X XPS II edition which I sunk well over 10gs into from ski tip to snowflap and a fully done and ported motor with every upgrade possible right down to the bolt and nuts. after blowing 5 motors in 3 years it was finally time to let the old girl go just 3-4 months ago and ended up with something a little more new and my style. I live to ride deep powder and mountains.

Picture of my new girl including a shot of Moi himself :)

2016 spring order limited edition pro rmk 800 155 with the 2.6" track and belt drive(quickdrive)
Only got to put 250kms on her this season due to it being probably the worst winter ever in the last 20 years or more.

https://youtu.be/oqzOrbTZSqM

Plenty of crazy skidoo videos and crashes/rackouts on my youtube and videos of my car as well if it interests anyone(not sure how many people are snowmobilers here)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Finally some progress pics of the car over the last couple of years.

started out with little stuff like powdercoating the window wiper arms and what not, eventually i'd like to say that any and everything piece of metal no matter how small or big and the entire bottom of the car will be powdercoated but that may take awhile haha.

type SH rims I've got for her from buying a cheap but fully running parts lude 1997 type sh 5spd just to scrap it pretty much for small stuff.

Rims done in satin black powder, calipers 3 staged coated first with a chrome coat, then a pearl blue coat and a hard clear on top as well as the dust shields, all 4 calipers were BRAND new before doing this just because I was OCD haha.
IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/5md1kw.jpg[/IMG]
Of course some brand new 205/50/16 bridgestone potenza rubber to go as well!

Then it was time for some matience due to a growling auto tensioner even thought the previous owner had it done 30k ago I suspect the tension itself was never changed. I took 2 full weeks to completely tune up the car from new fuel filters in tank and negine bay, all new fluids flushed everything, every gasket o-ring and seal, valve adjustment and KStuned manual tensioner. Also previous to all of this My total car experience was changing brakes and air/oil filters....so anyone can do it if i can just take your time get a helms manual and some tools : ) I spent well over a grand to do all of this but it's better then spending 800+$ for a shop and labour.
Upgraded cam seals and all of that good stuff and ngk plug wires/iridium plugs and new distributor rotor and cap.

retro fit time! moritmoto 6.0 full kit and 5500xb 35w bulbs and also my fogs lights as well.

My OCD level is a little unreal so it took my quiet some time to get all the ballast/relays and wiring looking decently nice and tucked away unseen : )

Lots of little stuff like interior air filters that are probably original and new center caps, and what not as well. JTC"s new current updated full short shifter complete set and complete entire redline goods interior minus the steering wheel and type SH door panel lights and about 500$ of leds converting the entire exterior and interior to LED plus the blue clock mod and brand new oem full carbon fibre trim kit plus a full sound system :) I prefer just nice clear sound so no sub will be run in this car plus its extra space and weight/wiring. Just speakers/head unit and a small amp, AFBS bypass done.

Pictures don't show my new skunk 2 weighted shift knob : ( thing costed like 100$ fml. also one piece SS braided clutch line from master to slave deleting the damper.

goodbye cruise control and hello jdm fogs : )

jtc cooling plate.

Figured since the car had well over 100k miles on the original clutch or if you're canadian like me around 190-200km it was time for a fresh clutch and flywheel install plus to get rid of my final small oil leak on the entire car the darn rear main seal...

stage 2 exedy clutch ceramic kevlar and a fizdanza flywheel plus oem throwout bearing and rear main seal, all of this plus the skunk 2 knob, the short shifter and billet bushings and the one piece braided clutch line makes the car unreal fun to drive just need some mugen pedals now :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
some more fun stuff I love to do since I'm a pretty big outdoors person.

also none of this could of been possible without my amazing farther he truly is the best and a jack of all trades and one of the hardest workers I've ever know period.

Also a shoutout to my girlfriend that supports all my bad habbits and money spending haha.

Back to the car : ) some small stuff and new audio stuff. alpine 164bt head unit and power pack plus the entire car has be reran straight to speakers for 16ga wire and I just ordered my full alptine type r tweeters with crossovers. Now just to replace the kenwood front/rear speakers with alpine type r's. I;ve already modded the front speakers and have 6.5" installed currently no issues both are nice units but at this point I'm just going to go full alpine all around to keep be matching.

some good stuff for the ol girl : )

did my own little resistor/potentialmeter mod a couple nmights ago to finally get rid of the danm hyper blink on the new LED signals. I'd rather avoid tapping in load resistors on each side since to me its not clean imo.

I've done a 2year trade in computer systems and networking in college so soldering and stuff like this for me is minor, when I really want to learn something I will non stop for days just read and watch videos untill i tackle it myself.

Forgot to toss in a picture of my stupidly overkill desktop/gaming PC which is my 3rd self built one and was well over 5-6 grand just for the tower itself not including the 700$ monitor or keyboards and mice and waht not haha this thing is like a little spaceship. Haven't owned a console now or even had one in the house in over 6yrs i think. Anyone who games or plays on steam feel free to hit me up or msg me for a add.

loves me some watercooling : )

Just got this lovely fully complete kit from the man infamouz himself just gotta get the time to install it and it should finish off my center console nicely and i will be converting it from the amber to white/blue buttons and backrounds like the rest of my interior.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Basically this is the car now as it sits minus the jdm window Visors I installed. The only thing or part I havce currently that isn't on the car is the full JDM climate control which i only just received last week. Sorry if this thread is all over the place just wasn't sure how to summerize 3-4 years with the car so shortly without uploading 500+ pictures i have on facebook and life details hahahaha. Plus I work 5000km away in alberta in the oilfields so there are times when i am away from home for months at a time before I can fly back for a few weeks off. Car was recently fully repainted 110% by one of the best shops around that normally only do 6 figure cars or big resto's and gtrs and ferrari's and the owner gave me 2-3 options and i just told him to go all out best of the best everything and show car finish like the cars that he takes with him to sell on the barrett jackson show and he laughed and said okay because i knew no other shop around would even come close to this kind of work or finish even if it was double the price almost it was well worth the 7-8gs to me. This car has literally had the glass, every mold trim and rubber replaced before this paint job and even new fender liners so mine didnt look old plus a new grill and badge and full alarm system install with two way pager, remote pop trunk and remote start since i have no more keyhole in my trunk now. I've spent well over 4000 at my oem honda dealer alone in the last year ordering every single little nut,screw,molding,trim,plastics,pins,window cowls, badges, small stuff clips and push pins for the bumpers and lip and literally everything anyone on here that would like to see it all can check my facebook anytime https://www.facebook.com/josh.gough.31
I've litterally gotten well over 500+ pictures of the car and every single item i've ever gotten for it. I walk into the honda dealer ship and they all know me and let me go in the warehouse to get or order my own parts and give me a good discount on anything even small stuff : ) Every sensor, knock,o2, oil preesure, vtec sensor has all been replaced I literally not even try to describe how ocd i've went into this car and have well over 20 grand invested and to me its only about 30-40% where I want it. My dad thinks im crazy when I tell him I need about another 30-40 grand to finish it how i see it. If anyone has seen the instagramer "silva_built" That is the kind of finish im going for in the end when this project is done. I literally want to be able to eat off the bottom of the car or wipe my finger on the under chassis/engine bay and it be spotless. Once my interior gets clued up within the next year i can full tackle the engine/tranny build for boost : )

All debaged/shaved emblems and stickers and trunk keyhole plus the lower bumper running lights since the Type s fender markers I installed stay lit and also function as turn signals. Only the grill badge has been kept.

accidental upload of the projector cutoff.

Guess I should include pics of the full kteller 3" SS mandrel bent exhaust setup and AEM v2 intake. exhaust installed a few days after the intake, hytech replica header from kronn, kteller 3" SS mandrel piping, magnaflow hi flow cat( very hi flow, pretty much barly a cat at this point lol, trips the CEL for cat ineffecienly every couple weeks) vibrant bottle 3-4-3 resonator and vibrant twin outlet muffler 3" in dual 3" out flat black for the oem look.

And a video about a week after the exhaust/intake install just before I put her in storage : ) Even from alot of other locals and car meet people said its probably the best sounding honda around they've heard has a nice growl and pops with minimum drone or rasp and it dosen't seem to bother the cops with the stock looking muffler even though it can be heard from one side of town to the other at night when im cruising >.>\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jeHnvzQa40

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Daaaaammmnnnn. Pretty unusual for a lurker to come out like *this*! Nice work man!

What are your plans for power and suspension mods?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
haha yea Like i said i've been honestly been meaning to do this and putting it off for over a year because it seemed hard to condense 3-4 years and like 500 photos into a couple dozen.

Everything will be getting fully done and it's mostly 90% planned out in my head but next winter along with finishing the interior from now tell then will be a suspension strip and refreshen for the most part and some powdercoating. New ball joints all around all new poly bushings,wheel bearings and arp extended studs and maybe a couple goodies. It's good now and makes no noises or squeaks and rides like a dream but you can see some of the bushings getting dry cracked slightly and i know the steering could be tighter for sure. Eventually some nice BC racing coils but for now i'll run these 1.3" eibach pro springs untill the stock struts start to give and just get some koni yellows.

For power besides the intake header and exhaust not much atm the end goal is a properly built motor and boost on a gtx3576 or 82. Was looking for the last few months for a mint ready to go fresh JRSC but really haven't had any luck so maybe its for the better haha,. I think for a birthday present for myself in june I will be ordering up a full hondata s300 v3 kit with a p72 so that i can get use to tuning myself while not much is done and learn the program plus then i can FINALLY haul all the useless stuff out of the car like emissions and abs and start moving stuff around like the battery to the trunk and what not. Where I live there is only 1 dyno on the entire island and it is all the way on the opposite coast about 7hrs away on the highway and they don't really tune cars just let you tune them yourself or do dyno pulls for readouts. island life ftl : (. This is pretty much why in Newfoundland you dont see many big modded cars besides bolt ons or ones that were bought from away.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Awesome! What do you do in the patch?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Started out scaffolding at first due to being paid 14-15$ an hour sitting in a computer shop just wasn't gonna cut it and honestly as much as i love technology I cant sit in one spot most of the day haha. Currently now I've been doing industrail pipeline insulating for about a year and half. just recently got put up to 3rd year. Probably do this gig for a few years and eventually go to school for maybe electrical or welding like i wanted to in highschool.

Either way it sures beats working at a grociery store like i did for 3 years :). money gets addicting plus I love it up the edmonton/calgary area(90% of the time edmonton). Been thinking very hard of this summer if not next bringing my car up there. So much more potential and the shops and car meets.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Nice bike :emthup: I've got a Sasquatch.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Started out scaffolding at first due to being paid 14-15$ an hour sitting in a computer shop just wasn't gonna cut it and honestly as much as i love technology I cant sit in one spot most of the day haha. Currently now I've been doing industrail pipeline insulating for about a year and half. just recently got put up to 3rd year. Probably do this gig for a few years and eventually go to school for maybe electrical or welding like i wanted to in highschool.

Either way it sures beats working at a grociery store like i did for 3 years :). money gets addicting plus I love it up the edmonton/calgary area(90% of the time edmonton). Been thinking very hard of this summer if not next bringing my car up there. So much more potential and the shops and car meets.
When you said oil fields of alberta, I thought you meant like drilling, not dingleberry'ing lol. Joking, pipeliners are,.....well yea well just say they are hows that lol

Cars looks great man, what part of AB are you usually located in? Edmonton has some cool meets once in while, well emets every weekend but mostly they are filled with idiots with stock block turbo d setups that talk shit and embarrass the rest of the Honda community. But that shits is everywhere now I guess.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hahahahah yea I hear ya. We do plant work also but last couple of jobs have been pipeline oddly, new job in fort sask in a couple weeks plant work : ). And yes 95% of the time we stay in edmonton. Went to a couple of car shows last summer and mind was blown there was like 5 lots of cars had to be 1000 people and just gtrs supras and anything you can imagine everywhere haha and it was like that on both friday and saturday at United cycle i think it was called by tim hortons? Here once a week or every couple weeks there is a car show mostly consisting of some civics and 3-4 wrx's and some other cars but thats it. usually 10-15 of us haha. Very small town and population plus the roads here are basically no better then a plowed dirt road. pot holes and sinkholes everywhere and you cant find a single piece of road that is flat for more then a few hundred feet. ALL hills were i Live either going uphill or downhill some very steep lol.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
LOL, I grew up half my life in fort sask, lol that's too funny.

Yes the Uc meets can be really cool, I know my friend Brandon came up from Indy the one summer and he couldn't believe the car meet here lol. Ive had my car out a few times each last summer and the summer before; usually we'll cruise past in the TL. Sometime stopping to hand out cards and check things out. Often times, the UC meet will fill up with idiots with shit boxes who do burnouts and donuts and desiels drags brakestands and shit and get everyone kicked out .

Its too bad you don't have your Lude out this way, I would love to see it in person.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With any luck hopefully sometime this summer if not next for sure I will have her up that way for a few years. Already have a apartment with a proper even though small garage built/attached on to the house we stay in. I currently have been storing and working on my car at one of my family cousin's barn garages that he use to store his big dozer/loader in.

For the cheap amount I pay him every month and it is pretty much gutted and cleaned out empty since this last pic and has perfect room for 2 cars or to do any work and dosen't leak so im content haha. Not to mention he has a police officer living downstairs in his house with his cop car parked outside 24/7 and full security system anyways for all his heavy equipment and machinery stuff so no worries that way : )

When I first did the timing belt job it was on the side of the road for a few days with tarp over the hood in rain and working on gravel lol. So this beats it any day of the week and is only 5min walk from my house.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is there any chance a Member on here has another "blue writing" Turn signal relay they would sell me since I can't seem to find any and I've had honda order me in two and both where the white lettered boxes with different internals even though they tried to get the blue ones and I showed them the two different boxes in person : ( Also any chance I could pay anyone to do the Potential meter mod for me and confirm it works and fits properly and dosen't hyperblink the flashers? Legit will pay good money haha. This last issue is eating me alive! grrrrrr!

·
Administrator
6,802 Posts
ogsmakdade did the potentiometer mod on a friends 5th gen. Works perfectly. Yours appears to be a little more involved....lol

Unsure what you're asking with the "blue writing" relay. Happen to have a photo and some more info on what you're looking for exactly?

I had great results using POR15 on the undercarriage. Time consuming, but happy with the results.

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

this is what i mean by the blue writing relay. As i assumed the mod only worked with this kind and not like the one below aka the white writing relay.

and por15 the entire bottom along with all new ball joints/bushings and everything is the next winter plan! Anyway I could get in direct contact with you or ogs like facebook or cellphone?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts