Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove to work today, everything was going fine, then, when I pulled into my parking spot, I put it into reverse, and smoke starting seeping out of the engine and even into the cabin. I got out, and opened the hood and there was oil all over the engine. What could this possibly be? And it's about 15 degrees out. Thanks guys.

·
iamNOTerator
5,945 Posts
It could be a couple different things. Can you tell where the oil came from at all? Where was the oil when you saw it burning in your engine bay?
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oil cooler seal, check to see if your oil filter is loose also.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
well it's at the garage now, so we'll see what they say about it. I hope it's nothing major. Could have anything cracked because of the cold weather?

cold weather = Seals tend to let loose.. I say its the oil cooler O Ring #32 in the pic so you know whats going on - Your oil filter is #14 - Filter screws onto piece #18 for reference.

Keep us posted on what they find!

·
Registered
956 Posts
X2!!! Check the O-ring bc mine went on me and it did the same!!! Smoke was coming out like crazy and this burnt smell was entering the car a lot!!!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Do the base models have oil coolers? I saw the PS cooler(it's just a singular pipe), but I never saw an engine oil cooler...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks to PP I found out the oil cooler o ring was causing my leak:colgate:. At first I thought it was my oil filter not sealing. The oil drips down onto the exhaust, causing the smell. I have not heard of this problem on other UK cars, but it sounds common on your US models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts