Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title...

its like 75deg here but it feels like 120deg in my lude.
was out for lunch before driving. turn on the AC.....
that thing blows but its not cold in my car.
got my lude last summer and it was ICE COLD the AC.

i could bring my car to my MECH and have them add those whatever you call it... ice fluid crap into the compresser or whatever not. now my question is... would i be able to do whatever my mech could do? like.. ADD the fluid crap in?? if i could do this.. where on earth, well auto parts stores i believe, would have, what i am askin for.. right???

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
75 degrees outside eh? that's what it is here today...it feels awesome!

Step #1: turn ignition on
Step #2: Roll down both windows and open sunroof
Step #3: Drive and enjoy the nice weather.

:)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Any auto parts store will have freon recharge kits. The same thing happen to me last summer and I bought the recharge kit from autozone for like $30.00. Anybody can do this just make sure that you follow the directions closely and don't try to charge the high side input. After I recharged the freon, it still blew hot air. Turns out the relay that controls whether to kick the a/c compressor on was bad. Cost me about $10.00 for the relay. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
definately don't want the freon to leak into the atmosphere :turn:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
JLude said:
75 degrees outside eh? that's what it is here today...it feels awesome!

Step #1: turn ignition on
Step #2: Roll down both windows and open sunroof
Step #3: Drive and enjoy the nice weather.

:)
well its more like 80 with the sun shinning. believe me i had my windows down and it stills freaking hot. well i was just testing out my AC today.. thats all..

Prey_Lude99 said:
Any auto parts store will have freon recharge kits. The same thing happen to me last summer and I bought the recharge kit from autozone for like $30.00. Anybody can do this just make sure that you follow the directions closely and don't try to charge the high side input. After I recharged the freon, it still blew hot air. Turns out the relay that controls whether to kick the a/c compressor on was bad. Cost me about $10.00 for the relay. Hope this helps.
did you have to flush anything out? just recharge that sucker and thats it? sounds too e z. stupid mech wants $100+ for this kind service.

Boosted521 said:
definately don't want the freon to leak into the atmosphere :turn:
WHY? its poison or something? will it make me high or something? :turn:

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
lenjaiah said:
WHY? its poison or something? will it make me high or something? :turn:
i'm assuming so. it's illegal to let it just leak out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
u can buy a recharge kit with a sealer in it to help if theres a bad o-ring in the system... if the 0-ring is that bad it will leave a green color on it so thats the one u change

·
Registered
244 Posts
Shit, its getting close to 90 down here in Florida, 75 is refreshing compared. And it sucks, cause you could only get the light colored interior in 1997. BAHHH, i hate black plastic.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
edge2lyfe said:
Recharging the system is a waste if your ac system has a leak. Get the leak fixed.
i do not believe there is a leak. if there is.. pretty sure i would know about it.

99prelude said:
u can buy a recharge kit with a sealer in it to help if theres a bad o-ring in the system... if the 0-ring is that bad it will leave a green color on it so thats the one u change
got any pictures? hahaha

does anyone have a digram on this A/C system in our luders?

·
Registered
222 Posts
If your a/c is not leaking, then yes it is that easy to recharge or add freon to your system. You turn the car on, attach the recharge kit to the low side input, and then you turn your a/c on. If you hear the compressor kick on , then it will add the freon, if the compressor does not kick on it will not recharge. This is a test to see if your system is leaking or if the compressor is acting up. If your compressor never kicks on then you can narrow your problem down to the compressor or the relay that kicks the compressor on. If your compressor kicks on, I would purchase the leak sealer recharge kit, but if the leak is serious enough this will not fix the problem.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
you get the can with the hose attached. it will have directions. when you look under your hood, inbetween the valve cover and the radiator there is a blue knob thing that has a L on it. thats where you charge

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I would find out whats wrong with the a/c before adding anything to it as if you don't know how much r134a is in there if it's full you can blow a seal or overheat the compressor then the $100 job is a $1,000 instead but first check the basic like is the a/c compressor coming on? if the system still cools but not very much it might be low on freon but there might be a leak if so they have the proper tools to check where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
360 Posts
75-80.. thats nothing.. it was near 100 out here in AZ.. but anyway.. yeah freon recharge kits are simple.. so I'd go with that.. if not, I'd take it to your mechanic before you do something to screw up the a/c system..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts