Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on buying some GSXr throttle bodies and another oem intae mani and custom make a ITB set up.

My ? is, Has a ITB set up been done on a H23?
And
The sensor thats right under the TB (I think its a map sensor) would it be alright to by pass it or will I need it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I plan on buying some GSXr throttle bodies and another oem intae mani and custom make a ITB set up.

My ? is, Has a ITB set up been done on a H23?
And
The sensor thats right under the TB (I think its a map sensor) would it be alright to by pass it or will I need it?

i dont know if the ITBs have been fitted to a h23 but for info...the sensor is the iac valve there are ways of utilising it and ways of bypassing it the latter being the easiest but there are other factors and sensors to consider the vac lines to the map, the inlet temp sensor,+ others, the vac for your brake servo to work, the tps on a gsxr is not compatible with the honda it has a lower working range 0.5 to 2.5v not the 4.5 required for WOT. not to mention throttle spacing second butterflys and matching ports.

i've built some for a d16 crx using k5 gsxr ITBs with twin injectors 48mm tappered so encountered all of the above most have been engineered out or frigged but one piece of advice i can give you stay with honda ie the 929 fireblade bodies are more suited spacing wise. as for port size you will need to read, read, read, read, the subject is vast also with staying with honda the tps and some of the other sensors are compatible ie same wiring config, same values a better platform to start with also the fireblade bodies seem to be cheaper to buy.. just my two pence worth hope this helps but research is the key..

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
ITB's

I think really you need to work out what you want from the engine is this going to be a Daily driver or a full on race car?? I'd only go as far as putting ITB's on if you were planning a full on race head package and a high compression block with custom header and system to suit? Otherwise stick with stock manifold and have it ported and polished inside with a bigger TB that's been knife edged and the screw replaced with countersunks.

If you were looking at big valve conversion, cams, high comp pistons, lighter rods etc. then yes ITB's would be ideal for this and give you some real big gains as well as the lovely induction noise!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes this is a DD, all thats done is a port job and a new oem valve assembly.
A friend of mine did this with his miata and he got atleast an extra 15hp to the wheels untuned, so I was just wondering if I would get near the same result.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL^^for that much money get a h22 and theres ur extra 15whp
I dont know what your talking about, you can get Gsxr tb's for as low as $75, a oem intake manifold is like $50 in a junk yard, and lets say $100 for the misc. things needed.
How is that the same price of a full H22 swap?

No offense to the H22 guy, but I'm not impressed by the H22 ludes.
Why would I spend $1000-$3000 for a stock motor and only gain 20hp?
I know there is a lot more aftermarket support, but I would rather do something different.
I also like the torque on the H23.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Because he got a real noticeable gain, I was just estimating 15+hp
butt dyno ftl.

ITBs are meant to operate at high RPMs. A popular mod for a Bseries motors with built heads and good tuning. worth the money.

on your stock H23, that redlines at 6400, not worth the money.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
H23 is the ticket...
I'd be interested in seeing somebody else do it. I'd like to, but the time isn't there for me to sit there and figure out what needs to be done.

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
Yes this is a DD, all thats done is a port job and a new oem valve assembly.
A friend of mine did this with his miata and he got atleast an extra 15hp to the wheels untuned, so I was just wondering if I would get near the same result.

he must have designed them pretty well then with the throttle size, runner angle, runner diameter, runner length, velocity stack diamter, velocity stack length...etc.

If you are doing this for a hp increase, then you have A LOT of research to do before you should even look into which throttles to buy.

there is a reason some of the best ITB's cost close to or above 2000 dollars.

www.jenvey.com - read the advice and faq section

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you end up going with the ITBs be sure to let us know how things go.

By the way, I have old friends from New Bern...maybe you know them...Brittany and Mark Ricks?

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Yeah butt dyno ftl.... whats 15 hp feel like? haha

H23 to H22 is 30 hp difference not 15 or 20 haha

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you end up going with the ITBs be sure to let us know how things go.

By the way, I have old friends from New Bern...maybe you know them...Brittany and Mark Ricks?
I might know them.

I've pretty much searched all day and for what Im going for ITBs isnt the right choice. I'm just in a mind slump at the moment and cant figure out what I want to do.

Also my friend Kevin id going to do a custom ITB on his H22 4thgen so when he gets started I'll post the progress.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
what if you just buy h22 itbs and modify them to fit your h23

1 - 20 of 26 Posts