Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ROKSTARR
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its official insurance adjuster came by today and said that it might be toatalled, said to wait a few days (prolly till monday) to hear back from insurance office...

Im pissed so little damage will make it totalled...

·
Registered
739 Posts
That sucks!

If they total it try and get it for parts. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
since it's your own insurance, you are probably toast....

but totalling it doesn't mean you can't keep it and continue to drive it (depending on the damage).

in fact, unless the car is undrivable (and damned hard to make driveable), i wouldn't even make a claim against your insurance for it.

if you continue with the claim and if they do decide to total the car, make sure they give you fair market value for it (after all, that what you are paying the premiums for). not NADA, not KBB, but what it would cost to replace the car instead of fixing it. find a couple other ludes of similar condition in the area and use them to base your replacement cost on.

then, after you've settled on how much they are going to pay to buy you a replacement prelude of like kind and quality..... you can haggle over buying your car back. you shouldn't pay any more than a salvage yard in your area would pay at a auction for it. call around to some local yards and seew hat they'd give you for it in it current condition. start with your insurance company there.

remember, you buy insurance specifically for this purpose. they are going to jack your rates no matter what, so you might as well get as much out of them as is reasonable.

be reasonable with your side, and hold out until you get a good percentage of what you want...don't cash any checks or sign any titles until the deal is complete and they have signed off on all of it.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
since it's your own insurance, you are probably toast....

but totalling it doesn't mean you can't keep it and continue to drive it (depending on the damage).

in fact, unless the car is undrivable (and damned hard to make driveable), i wouldn't even make a claim against your insurance for it.

if you continue with the claim and if they do decide to total the car, make sure they give you fair market value for it (after all, that what you are paying the premiums for). not NADA, not KBB, but what it would cost to replace the car instead of fixing it. find a couple other ludes of similar condition in the area and use them to base your replacement cost on.

then, after you've settled on how much they are going to pay to buy you a replacement prelude of like kind and quality..... you can haggle over buying your car back. you shouldn't pay any more than a salvage yard in your area would pay at a auction for it. call around to some local yards and seew hat they'd give you for it in it current condition. start with your insurance company there.

remember, you buy insurance specifically for this purpose. they are going to jack your rates no matter what, so you might as well get as much out of them as is reasonable.

be reasonable with your side, and hold out until you get a good percentage of what you want...don't cash any checks or sign any titles until the deal is complete and they have signed off on all of it.

i really suggest you take this advice.
because since you got so fucked so easily in buying the car, youre prone to getting fucked by the insurance company.
theyre better at it.

are you sure you didnt just jump at the first thing you saw?
cuz i dont understand how one car can be easier to buy than another..

·
Registered
9,584 Posts

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
You can get a rebuilt title. They arent that hard to get as long as you can fix the issues yourself. That way you take the money for the accident. Fix it and keep driving your car. Just look to see what the requirements for your state are.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
on that old of car, the title probably won't total anyway, as long as the car doesn't go to an insurance pool (if he keeps it).

i had one nissan pickup 'total' seven times and since i never gave up the truck or the title, it never got branded.

·
~~EVIL LAUGH~~~
1,503 Posts
Man, sucks. In reality, any insurance company i going to total out a car that old. It just doesn't make financial sense to pay a grand or two to fix a car that in the end costs that much.

Just try to see if they let you buy it back after your settlement and try to fix it if the damage isn't that bad.

Follow psychoboy's advice, you may come out on top and do good.

Good luck.

-Carlos

1 - 16 of 16 Posts