Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking up a valve cover gasket for a customer at work, and one of the available engines for late 90's Isuzu Rodeos is a Honda F23, which got me to thinking...

I've seen Isuzu Rodeos with manual trannies. It might even be the same manual tranny for all the engines (Isuzu I4's), except maybe the V6 (which is also a honda). So if there's a manual RWD tranny for the F23, would it be theoretically possible to put an F22 VTEC on it, and put it in a Datsun 510 or sand rail or something like that?

Or is it pretty likely that the F23, like the B20, is the black sheep of the family and the tranny wouldn't be interchangeable?

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
I am almost positive that there was no 2.3L Honda engine in any Rodeo...Actually, I don't know of any 2.3L in a Rodeo, but the Amigo has a 2.3L SOHC 4cyl, but that's the 4zd1 made by Isuzu. Honda puts their name the Rodeo, and passes it off as a Pathfinder, Acura also took the Isuzu Tropper and made an Acura SLX - but with Isuzu mechanicals.

I don't know who said that they had F23's, but I'm curious to find out if that is really true, because right now I find no evidence to prove it is.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The big book of Victor-Reinz gaskets has it listed under Isuzu as an F23 (Honda). The model index shows it as one of the possible engines for the Isuzu in I think 96 and 97. Maybe only in certain markets? Extremely limited production?

This wasn't the engine in the customer's car. He had no idea what engine he had. Turned out to be an Isuzu DOHC I4's and we had to special order the gasket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts