Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 99 Prelude. I'm guessing the car was a previous theft attempt, the key often gets stuck in the ignition tumbler and won't come out. It can take several minutes of playing around with the key to get it out....grrr

My mechanic buddy says I need to take the key, tumble and registration to the dealer to get a new one. Can't imagine what that will cost!

Does anyone have a good used set-up they can sell? Willing to pay via paypal. Or are there any other ways to get around the issue?

Thanks, Rampton

·
Administrator
6,799 Posts
Having it redone at a dealership doesn't take very long if it's in hand. So I doubt it's more than an hours labor.

A used unit won't match your doors or trunk etc. However a locksmith is an alternative to having the tumbler re keyed

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had that issue on my 98 type sh. Bring it to the dealer as in my case there was an actual recall on the ignition cylinder and they fixed it for free. The key would get stuck and would even turn off randomly while driving.

If you call them and give them your vin number they will tell you if its covered under the recall. They are still fixing them even after 15 years lol

And of coarse its still absolutely FREE

·
Administrator
6,799 Posts
I had that issue on my 98 type sh. Bring it to the dealer as in my case there was an actual recall on the ignition cylinder and they fixed it for free. The key would get stuck and would even turn off randomly while driving.

If you call them and give them your vin number they will tell you if its covered under the recall. They are still fixing them even after 15 years lol

And of coarse its still absolutely FREE
The ignition switch was the reason for the car randomly shutting down. This is still an active service bulletin and a free fix for most that qualify.

As for the cylinder itself, may be an on site decision kind of thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts