Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey 5thers. Can someone tell me if this is an SH ? I am going to look at the car Friday... Hopefully it is.

·
Banned
4,812 Posts
going by the wheels no. but is it manual? and check the vin. 8th number will be a 5. if the 8th is a 4 its a base

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
depending on your goals, the base model might be a better choice anyways. what are you plans for the car?
The car is going to be my daily driver. I probably will be leaving it stock as I like the way it looks from the factory. And I know it is already quick as well from the factory.

and yes it is 5 spd i would have it no other way :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
like one of the other guys said going by the wheels no, and chances are a guy witha real SH wouldnt change the rims back to a base model lude. the ways to check are by looking under the hood and locate the ATTS cable, check if theres the brake light in the window and if there is its not an SH unless it was changed because SH models just have the third brake light in the spoiler. and of course the sideskirts which are painted but look for the third brake light and the atts cable right undert the intake hose on the left side its hard to miss

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the lady is asking 5500 for the car 110k miles timing belt done @ 80k. This has been on my dream car list for a while now.

For those of you fifthers who have the base, how does it handle ? I'm kind of torn at this point.. thinking maybe I should wait to find an sh... the problem is that they are somewhat rare especially to find one that some kid hasn't tried to pimp out

·
Banned
4,812 Posts
i would just check the vin number on the car. either on the car, or by your DMV. its easy to change around rims, sideskirts, brakelights, etc.

again. 8th number in the VIN will be a 5 if its a SH. it will be a 4 if it is a base

edit: not saying it has a high chance of being an SH though. b/c i dont see why one would change the skirts, rims, add the brake light...but who knows some ppl like that. id check the VIN

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It's a base, but a Base with coilovers, handles real nice to not have ATTS, but if your planning on keeping it stock, wait for an SH, and trust me it WILL be worth it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I'm sure glad I posted this before going to see the car. I just cancelled the appt. to go see it. I've waited this long to find one...whats another couple months ? Back to the search...

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,260 Posts
the lady is asking 5500 for the car 110k miles timing belt done @ 80k. This has been on my dream car list for a while now.

For those of you fifthers who have the base, how does it handle ? I'm kind of torn at this point.. thinking maybe I should wait to find an sh... the problem is that they are somewhat rare especially to find one that some kid hasn't tried to pimp out
I <3 my base. As far as i'm concerned, it rails FAR better than most cars will... even with shitty tires on it. If you got a base and just put a decent set of performance tires underneath, you'd be shocked how well it'll rail. :wink3:

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I'm about 50-50 on the SH-Base debate hehe...
I own an SH. ATTS has made me prematurely ejaculate (and some girls too) a couple of times on turns with my new tires, yet I feel like if i really wanna tune and get the prelude really nice i'd need a base model. I'm very limited to intake headers exhaust and a piggyback tune with my SH (for not so costly mods)
The pluses are obviously the painted sideskirts, the nicer OEM wheels (in my opinion, some people dont agree) the courtesy lights, and of course the prominent feature ATTS which you will actually FEEL through a turn.
I also like how the shift knob is different but im not TOO crazy about the shape its a bit tall i felt they shoulda put a little shorter one a little sportier... but its better than the square base one.

I wouldnt trade my SH for the world because i love it and if i want true speed a prelude isnt my choice... i love the looks and the rareity of it. plus i LOVE how most self-proclaimed car dudes don't know what a type SH is or what ATTS is. :) <3 my SH.

wait for the SH if you want the kinda prestige of it... that one looks to be a base judging by what the other guys said, side skirts and wheels.
best way to check if u go in person and they have modded those is the courtesy lights (shift knob prolly is the first thing every ricer or person who thinks they're fast changes to a glowing chrome one with lights and shit lol)

I still think it'd be nice to have a turbo'd base

·
Registered
763 Posts
forget the SH. once you need to change the clutch, the amount of labour is almost doubled due to the ATTS unit being in the way.
also, they're heavier than Base models. an agressive drop will negate the ATTS also.
all the cosmetic differences can be easily added to a base with some parts searching.

·
Registered
852 Posts
like one of the other guys said going by the wheels no, and chances are a guy witha real SH wouldnt change the rims back to a base model lude. the ways to check are by looking under the hood and locate the ATTS cable, check if theres the brake light in the window and if there is its not an SH unless it was changed because SH models just have the third brake light in the spoiler. and of course the sideskirts which are painted but look for the third brake light and the atts cable right undert the intake hose on the left side its hard to miss

I DID!! I had some nice rims on last year, the SH rims was taking up space so I sold it. back to the rims story, my lude almost got jack!! just cuz of the freakin rims!! thats y I went with the lowkeyed not flashy blades.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts