Honda Prelude Forum banner

Is it worth an engine swap?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ecutthro 
#1 ·
So about a week ago I managed to total my very first car, a 1997 Vti-r. I loved everything about that car, and being that I spent the better part of two years saving for it made me love it even more. But now she's resting in a storage yard. I have found a prelude posted on gumtree (Aussie craigslist) for 3,500. This made me think something was wrong, anyway, I called the guy, it all checked out, the front bar needs new paint, which i'm okay with considering the condition of my other prelude.

I get to this guys house, test drive it, look it over. Then I notice. The engine was heaps smaller, He has an F series prelude. That being said everything else in the car is in pretty good condition, comes with a decent set of wheels and a fairly good sound system. Thinking I could sell these things to make the difference up in time, or labour, to swap my old H22 in, which is still in perfect condition. I've read around google a bit in the past few days but everyones answer changes. I'm wondering how worth it is the engine swap, is it worth doing myself and learning from it, or paying someone to do it so I can have the prelude on the road quicker?

#2 ·
Depending on how much you sell the f series and sound system, I think it would be worth it. That is of course if you can do the swap on your own. If it were me, I'd pull everything I could salvage from your donor car. Mounts, axles, harness, ecu etc.... You get the point. Also if you do your homework on the the project your about to undergo, it should be a drop in affair. Anytime I have ventured out of my comfort zone I tend to read, read and read. The more knowledge you fill in your head the less confusion you'll have. Hopefully you can make a decision that best fit your needs. Good luck!

#3 ·
The F series 'ludes had 4-lug wheel hubs, so I would swap those over too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.