Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a mechanic.
My neighbor has a 2001 Prelude.
The car was automatic, now changed to manual trans.

He wants to alter (advance/retard) the ignition timing.

Could it be done with the AUTEL MAXISYS ELITE?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm a mechanic.

No.

He would need a ecu capable of tuning like a stand alone unit, or a modded ecu.

No scan tool made by autel, snap on, matco, mac tools, etc etc is capable of doing this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm a mechanic.

1) Let the engine run at idle speed and the engine coolant temperature is normal.
2) Illuminate the timing mark on the pulley or flywheel with the ignition timing light to check the basic ignition advance angle. If the basic ignition tip: rake angle is not within the specified range, it should be adjusted. Learning Tips:
①For the electronic ignition system with distributor, it can be adjusted by turning the distributor shell.
If adjustment is required, loosen the distributor screw, align the timing pulley according to the ignition timing, then turn the distributor (turn left and right) until the scale mark is at the specified value, and finally lock the distributor screw.
②For the electronic ignition system without distributor, it must be adjusted through the timing mark of the timing chain.
3) After adjusting the ignition timing, start the engine and step on the accelerator pedal to observe whether the ignition advance angle increases with the increase of the engine speed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ignition timing is controlled by the ECU on this vehicle. The distributor cannot be rotated on the 5th gen prelude. You can modify the distributor so that it will rotate like other honda models, but I have no idea what conflict you will have if you try this because the ECU is expecting one thing, and you are physically doing something else.

The correct way to modify ignition timing on these vehicles is as ive listed in my above post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts