Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. new to the site. did a bit of navigating but still havent found the exact answer i was looking for. ive seen people say, get custom 2.25 or 2.5 piping (which i have), however, some have said theyve used cheap mufflers ($30 or so auto part store pickups) and have gotten what they want performance and sound wise with a deep tone. others, have mentioned brands like apexi, etc. i was wondering with these more expensive mufflers, is it really worth it in power and sound? if the expensive ones are a way to go, i know i will go for the n1, however due to my money going in multiple things, i didnt want to spend unnecessarily. if the cheaper of brands can give me what i want in hp increase (however many it may be) and a deep tone and not sound like the disgusting hollow farts ive heard around the place, what brand/s would you guys suggest?

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
The cheaper baffled ones will sound better (Quieter, deeper tone), the power difference will be negligible.

Here is my first exhaust I got:

It was a custom 2.25" crush bent system and I just had the muffler guy who made it put on the best muffler he had that wasn't loud. Had the stock cat. converter too. I was very happy with the noise and performance from this thing, though the muffler didn't look that great. But eventually I started wondering if I couldn't get more from a better flowing setup, which led me to:

My next setup was a 2.25 crush bent system with a dual tip straight through muffler, resonator in place of the stock cat, and 18" glasspack. This setup was fucking loud and I hate loud exhausts. Still I used it for about 2 years, helped with top end power slightly.

Finally, two months ago I finally had enough of the noise and I've stuck my stock exhaust with cat converter back on and am super happy with the noise level. Now I get more noise from the engine bay than the tail pipe, which is how it should be. ;-) There was a bit of reduction in top end power, not as much as I thought there was going to be though.

Finally it comes to how I would do it now, knowing everything I know:

2.25" Mandrel bent system
High flow cat converter
As many resonators as I can fit on there
Generic baffled dual tip muffler, if it doesn't look good I'd stick some stock looking polished tips on it and paint the body black.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
if you like the N1 muffler, you can use pretty much any can style muffler and get similar results.

the apexi ws2 is a totally different story though

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
as of right now, i have hedman headers, going to 2.25" crushbent piping straight to a buddy club spec III universal muffler. its really loud, im not gonna lie, but its not my dd anymore so its fine. but it has the best tone i've ever heard; very deep with absolutely no rattle/buzzing.

i love it, and after i do my h22 swap ill get some 3" piping with the 3" version of the buddy club spec III muffler.

i have never had a cheap muffler on a car so i can't really compare if its worth it or not to shell out the 180 bucks for one, but i am very happy with what i got.

if you want something quieter, than don't get what i got, lol.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It all depends on what you want in tone. The muffler is so far back in the system that it has very little effect on the engine, as long as the input is the same size as the rest of the system it will provide plenty of flow. Personally I hate the gross sound of the "fart can" most of which have a tip bigger than most big ass turbo deisel trucks. And as someone pointed out earlier, those are like a huge arrow pointing straight down at your car "Ricer here!" "HEY COPS! I'M HERE!! COME GET ME!!!" I scored a Borla off one of my friends, she was complaining that her car wasn't loud enough, so she asked me to weld on one of those cheap ass things from Kragens, I just about crapped myself when I saw that I was cutting a Borla off... I slapped that on my car, which came with a fart can, and I absolutely love the tone that I have now, It's perfect :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all. i really wasn't sure, still not actually, but, i guess im going with the n1 on it. i just wanted to avoid sounding like a grande bumble bee while i drive. I'll see if i can get a good one on ebay or something. are there any other good brands you would suggest? Posted via Mobile

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
hey guys. new to the site. did a bit of navigating but still havent found the exact answer i was looking for. ive seen people say, get custom 2.25 or 2.5 piping (which i have), however, some have said theyve used cheap mufflers ($30 or so auto part store pickups) and have gotten what they want performance and sound wise with a deep tone. others, have mentioned brands like apexi, etc. i was wondering with these more expensive mufflers, is it really worth it in power and sound? if the expensive ones are a way to go, i know i will go for the n1, however due to my money going in multiple things, i didnt want to spend unnecessarily. if the cheaper of brands can give me what i want in hp increase (however many it may be) and a deep tone and not sound like the disgusting hollow farts ive heard around the place, what brand/s would you guys suggest?

Here you go: Thermal R&D

Part# B114 or C114

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
Arent you promoting an exhaust that isnt made anymore? Last I knew the GB wasnt happening, and they werent going to make the exhaust on a case by case basis. But if they are it is spendy money.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
If you already have 2.5" piping then you are almost already where you want to be. The worst sounding buzzbombs you hear on the road are using an aftermarket muffler on stock exhaust on a High revving engine which you do not have. With that said there are differences in sound depending on which muffler you get. Expensive as it may be many onhere have used magnaflow sport compact mufflers as I have with an 18" or atleast 12" resonator inline before muffler. I have heard good things about the sound generated by a flowmaster muffler onhere. You might even be able to find one where you could reuse you muffler tips but considering the piss ant size of output pipes on stock mufflers I would suggest a flowmaster with a dual tip to recreate the stock look if that is what you like.

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's pretty damn hard to get a modern I4 engine with a fast burn head to sound like a slow burn, 60 year piece of crap domestic V8.

:colgate::colgate::colgate:
So get a stock muffler and hear the engine ROAR!

Its much more pleasing ,IMO at least, to hear the engine more so than the exhaust tip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts