Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been roamin around PP a while now. Mostly because a friend of mine (NocalNative89) has had a prelude for years. Ive helped him for years and hes taught me alot. But a few months ago, he picked up a 93 VTEC as a parts / project car. I had never had a car, but partly due to him they're a huge passion / hobby of mine now. So naturally, I was ready to help him out. The car needed a master cylinder, body work, paint, a ton of interior parts, bumper, and a bunch of stuff I know im forgetting. But it ran well. And since I helped him out, he cut me a deal. So its mine now and i'm soo excited! Here it is: (better pics after fresh milano red paint :bigsmile:)

But here's my story to date:
Trying to get it to pass emissions, I've put a cat on it (it was a FL car) and after failing the first test due to nox, figured out that he had the EGR valve completely blocked with a metal plate. I took the plate out and gave the valve a good clean. Reinstalled it and retested it, but failed. My concern is that it never had the check engine light on for insufficient egr flow. Could he have cut any wires or anything? Where should I check? Maybe he had the wiring tricked into thinking it was just fine. Im only wondering cause it looked to me like the sensor was on top of the egr valve, where it should register that the flow was well, not there. Is there any way I can check if its working? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If theres a block off plate where the egr should be that means it was deleted and if you arent getting a CEL for it then Im pretty sure that means its got a tuned ECU but I could be wrong. I dont know of any other way to get the CEL to go away other than tuning it out of the system on the preludes but someone else might know. Hopefully this sheds some light on your situation. You will most likely hafta buy a new EGR valve or a used one to get it to pass.

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
is that the car that the guy restored? he has an album on here where its on a trailer and then he has progress pics. he also has a black 3g. same guy you got your car from??

anyways it looks really good dude. cant wait to see it painted.

·
Registered
219 Posts
But here's my story to date:
Trying to get it to pass emissions, I've put a cat on it (it was a FL car) and after failing the first test due to nox, figured out that he had the EGR valve completely blocked with a metal plate. I took the plate out and gave the valve a good clean. Reinstalled it and retested it, but failed. My concern is that it never had the check engine light on for insufficient egr flow. Could he have cut any wires or anything? Where should I check? Maybe he had the wiring tricked into thinking it was just fine. Im only wondering cause it looked to me like the sensor was on top of the egr valve, where it should register that the flow was well, not there. Is there any way I can check if its working? Thanks for any help!

high nox is a heat problem

you are getting to much fuel

dose the car have an ajustable fpr ?
have you changed the o2 sensor ?
hows your timming ?

lmk

thanks P.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
egr valves/sensors dont test for flow, they only test to make sure the egr valve is actually opening and closing, it has a position sensor to read this.

the whole reason he left the egr valve installed on to of the blockoff plate is so he wouldnt throw a cel, because he knew that it doesnt read flow, so having it like stock but with a plate in between would cause no cel's.

it sounds like your egr is working perfectly fine.

do a valve lash adjustment, ignition timing adjustment, and a basic tuneup, and reset the ecu, and i bet you pass with flying colors

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, i could have quoted everyone, but that makes it way too long.

93H22ALude

That makes sense. Ill have to check it out.

Bryan R

No such luck man. He actually bought the car from a guy like a mile from my house. Drove it home. But he did used to have a red 3g?

integra 2.2t

As for an fpr, I have no idea. Never noticed, but I was never lookin for it either. And im almost positive my o2's are ok. And my timing is a whole other story.

When he got it, we knew the ignition was all outta whack. So after the first failed test, we moved the distributor back to where we could see it once was. There was a mark by the bolt holes where you could see it once sat. So we moved it back there. But come to find out through the 2nd test, we made it worse. But that brings me to now. Since I still havent officially bought it, he took it to Honda for an engine flush, and so theyd fix my timing.

motoxxxman

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
egr valves/sensors dont test for flow, they only test to make sure the egr valve is actually opening and closing, it has a position sensor to read this.

the whole reason he left the egr valve installed on to of the blockoff plate is so he wouldnt throw a cel, because he knew that it doesnt read flow, so having it like stock but with a plate in between would cause no cel's.

it sounds like your egr is working perfectly fine.

do a valve lash adjustment, ignition timing adjustment, and a basic tuneup, and reset the ecu, and i bet you pass with flying colors
Hahaha. VALVE LASH ADJUSTMENT. Universal fix!

Just messing with ya Steve ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got an idea, we could take it to some lady and find out there is a wire cut goin to the EGR... thatll do it huh?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts