Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having some intermittent starting issues lately. It only seems to do it on really hot days after I've drove the car for more than 15 min, but it doesn't happen everytime. I will go to start the car and it will just turn over and over with out starting. Then after screwing around and waiting for a short while it always starts back up. I know it is getting spark when it won't start and I've already cleaned the throttle body so I know the plate isn't sticking. Therefore, I'm thinking it's a fuel problem or TPS problem.

Are there any relays or sensors that are notorious for breaking down under heat that could be causing this issue? Just trying to get something figured out before the weekend because I really don't want to miss IA. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
main relay- symtoms- when hot (after driving car) car will not start until you let it sit and cool down

sounds like what your describing

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
In the old car world I have heard of two common issues that have similar symptoms, but I really don't know how/why they work/exist and if they can exist on our newer cars.

1) Vapor lock. But this is only typical of old low-pressure fuel systems like the old cars I hear about it in.

2) Coil overheating.(this seems to be a problem of the coil being placed too closely to a heat source[engine], but every prelude has them in the same place and not everyone has this problem...)

Does the car ever randomly die, or is it simply a starting issue?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
In the old car world I have heard of two common issues that have similar symptoms, but I really don't know how/why they work/exist and if they can exist on our newer cars.

1) Vapor lock. But this is only typical of old low-pressure fuel systems like the old cars I hear about it in.

2) Coil overheating.(this seems to be a problem of the coil being placed too closely to a heat source[engine], but every prelude has them in the same place and not everyone has this problem...)

coil overheating/being a problem would create misfire issuse

·
Administrator
6,611 Posts

Having the coil located in a "hotter" location doesn't seem to cause an issue with 5th gens. Mine has been relocated for a month or so now without any problems *crosses fingers* probably just jinxed myself :|

unless the coil is going bad. how's the starter? good connections?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Having the coil located in a "hotter" location doesn't seem to cause an issue with 5th gens. Mine has been relocated for a month or so now without any problems *crosses fingers* probably just jinxed myself :|

the starter has my vote as well yosh.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
main relay- symtoms- when hot (after driving car) car will not start until you let it sit and cool down

sounds like what your describing
Thats kind of what I was thinking at first too.

Car never misfires and like I said it's getting spark when not starting. The starter has never not turned the motor over, so unless it does more than just rotate the motor it is fine. I've checked all major connections and grounds and everything looks good. This doesn't always happen, like just yesterday I drove it to the store went in for 5 min and it started fine. Then I went to my parents, let it sit for 30 min and it wouldn't start. Waited about 5-10 min checking things and it all of a sudden started.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went ahead and bought a new main relay and replaced it. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Hopefully I won't get stuck anywhere in Nashville.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
You won't have any time to test drive it in your own town?

If not make sure to plan your events to give you the ½ hour it'll take to start the car. Understand that it can happen; nothing sucks more than getting stuck, frustrated and coming unglued in a city away from home.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
You won't have any time to test drive it in your own town?

If not make sure to plan your events to give you the ½ hour it'll take to start the car. Understand that it can happen; nothing sucks more than getting stuck, frustrated and coming unglued in a city away from home.
i can vouch for that. my auto tensioner failed while i was 300 miles out of town and it was a very horrible experience.

good luck hope car works out

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't have any problems over the weekend, so hopefully that relay fixed my problem. I'll report back if the issue comes up again. Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts