Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to my local Honda guy and he said it's a "known issue" among Honda's in general to have the electronic starter not engage....

Basically it usually happens when cold but also sometimes when engine is warm doing errands.

We turn the key and all the electronics power up (radio, dash lights, etc) but just no crank at ALL. No clicking noise like you would get from a dead battery or anything. We sit and wait maybe 20 seconds and crank again and sometimes it starts right up, other times it takes 2-3 tries.

Has anyone else experienced this Intermittent start issue?

rick

·
12,918 Posts
You each have a 3rd gen and 4th gen, main relays are known to not work on those generations (most notably the 3rd gen).
5th gens rarely have problems with the main relay.

Does the green key light in the dashboard flash when it doesn't start?
Can you start the car after removing the key and putting it back in?
Have you tried having someone try to start it, then someone else hitting the starter motor while doing it?

You're mechanic sounds retarded. It's common place for all cars in general to not start for various reasons, there are too many possibilities.
In our case, stick to the 3 questions I just asked.

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
You each have a 3rd gen and 4th gen, main relays are known to not work on those generations (most notably the 3rd gen).

Have you tried having someone try to start it, then someone else hitting the starter motor while doing it?

You're mechanic sounds retarded. It's common place for all cars in general to not start for various reasons, there are too many possibilities.
i didn't know you guys didn't have main relay problems that us and many other honda's do, lucky you.

and yeah, do what luda said and start with those 3.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

thanks for your input - yes my car is a 5th Gen Lude with 70k miles

The dash lights all come out, but NO CLICK, just like as if you never cranked the car. However I would remove the key, wait 10 seconds do it again, sometimes takes a 3rd try but eventually it starts.

My worry is that eventually one day it won't start at all so I'm just thinking preventive maintenance so my guy suggested I replace the electronic starter which is a $43.00 part plus 1 hour labor.

rick

·
12,918 Posts
I'm sorry but when you say electronic starter are you talking about the main relay?

Don't do what most mechanics do and replace random crap, it just costs a lot for nothing.

If it does it again then check if the green key light is flashing in the dashboard. If it does then it's not worth fixing and it shouldn't get any worse.. if it doesn't then check your starter motor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure if this will help you but i had a problem starting my car when i didnt drive the lude for a month. i would have power and the fuel pump would cut on but the motor wouldnt turn. First thing came to mind was the battery and main relay but that wasn't the problem. Luckily my friend also has a prelude and we took parts off his car to trouble shoot mine. It was my ignition module which is behind the distributer cap and rotor. It like a chip held in by like 3 screws with 3 or four wires attached. It cost like 80 bucks from an autopart store 200 to 300 at the dealer. But what you describe sounds just like my 99 accord issue. It was the main relay, which the 99 accord and the 5th gen prelude has the same main relay. When my car wouldnt start i would tap on the main relay and it sarted right up but eventually i replace it because it was getting tired tapping on the relay. Hopes this info helps.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
+1

as the immobilizer on this car will disable the starter that and a bad switch on the clutch pedal, with bad main relay the starter will crank but not start and depending on the failed solider joint either have no spark or fuel.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Updated....

Well after a few tests (it was not the security system)

We finally narrowed it down to the ignition switch

Honda Part# 35130-S0A-003

So $44.00 later and about an hour of work we swapped it out and now car's running fine. I think the contacts may have gotten corroded so it was making intermmittent contact perhaps? :sleepy:

thanks for all the help fellas!

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
I'm bumping this because I'm having the same issue now. Trying to get everything else on my car worked out while I wait for this Type-S swap to get here. The engine still runs alright just rod knocks like a bitch, I don't drive it but it should still crank no problems.

My car is doing the same thing as the OP, just plain will not even attempt to start. I'm doubting its the main relay since it does not try to start at all. It's a 2001, which is not eligible for the ignition switch recall (and I would think the issue would have been addressed from the factory). I have checked the clutch switch and it appears to be working fine mechanically. I do not currently have a voltage tester, as mine died.

My question is how do I determine which of the several possibilities is actually causing my issue, before I start randomly swapping out parts? I'll be really pissed if I finally get this Type-S engine in and then it won't start because of this issue...

·
Registered
88 Posts
My lude does the same thing at times but it hasn't happened in over a month or so - I turn and no crank - engine doesn't turn over - battery isnt drained the lights appear on dash & radio plays with no lights dimmed. I believe I had the ignition switch recall done. It started after I installed an ipod dock so I thought it was that. After 2-3 tries it starts right up everytime after I wait a few seconds.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts