1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dammit.... i was pullin into my drive way wen my drive belt crapped out on me.... r my valves still gonna b bent, evn if i was at low speed?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
is tha h22 an interference or non interference engine ?
dammit.... i was pullin into my drive way wen my drive belt crapped out on me.... r my valves still gonna b bent, evn if i was at low speed?
It's possible they're not, especially if you shut the engine down immediately and were at low revs when it occurred. There's only way to tell for sure, but you're going to have to get the belt replaced at least.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine went out on me at about 2000 rpm and I was alright, so hopefully your in the same situation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
lol. U wouldn't believe wat happened to me. i was across the street for my job when the light turn green started driving and 5 sec later my car cut off. I let it roll all the way to my job. tensioner let go. no bent valves.

·
Registered
881 Posts
You may be lucky, you have a good chance under 1.5k. Throw a new belt/tensioner/waterpump/balancer belt etc. Pull the plugs and feel for binding when your lining up tdc/ tensioning the belt. Do a compression check. Cross fingers.

·
Danny D's second in Command
4,157 Posts
just pull the head and get it over with, im sure you dont want to change a t-belt just to take it back apart.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
my valves are ok after fail tensioner on highway and a couple attempts to turn it back on. just depends if your lucky

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sweet thanks that makes me feel so much better but i wont get my hopes up 2 much:cheesy:

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
All Honda high performance motors are interference. I've witnessed 2 different D-series Honda motors blow a timing belt with zero valve damage....I don't think the H is usually that lucky but I hope you are.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
^^Basically, interference means that if your timing belt snaps, your pistons are going to slap into your valves, bending them. Non-interference means no damage will occur.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It means that the pistons will beat the shit out of your valves if they stay open when they're not supposed to, like when you break your timing belt.
Or "float a valve" when you over-rev

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
what does interference and non-interference means?
in full accuracy....

in interference motors, the pistons and the valves occupy the same space at different times. so long as their timing is maintained, they'll never hit, but if the timing is disrupted (broken belt/floating a valve) they can touch resulting in all sorts of fun.

in non-interference motors, the valves and the pistons NEVER occupy the same space. if something is out of whack, it won't matter.

it is possible to un-bend a valve. the seats in most honda heads are pretty stout (b20b excluded) and there are several reports of motors beating their valves back into place after a couple hundred miles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts