Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
look up smokescreen user id. He did something similar years ago.

·
Registered
680 Posts
how would I begin doing a similar mod? Would I need a customs shop to help me?
The amount of outside help depends on your skill level. I would use the factory light, fill the black lines with modeling clay, wax it with mold release wax, spray it with PVA, make a fiberglass mold, remove the modeling clay and sell the factory lights, prefect the mold surface, make a fiberglass shell of the OE light via the mold, cut holes to fit lights of choice. If you want them frenched (recessed) like in the photo use pvc pipe, cardboard tube, or anything of the proper diameter to make the fiberglass depression for the light lens. You can either make the alterations for frenched lights to the mold, or the first product from the mold. If you have a mold of the exact product you want, you can apply jel-coat during the making of the product and it will come out ready for install. Same process for CF. So, do you need a custom shop to help you?

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Or you could get yourself a spare set of tail lights and go to town with body filler like that guy did. I'd personally go that route, but that's only because I have two sets of spare tail lights to play with. :wink3:

·
Premium Member
16,865 Posts
Its hard to get the right look on our tail lights.

I personally do not like the Skyline tail light look on our square body.
So I leave it alone because it looks perfect the way it is now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The amount of outside help depends on your skill level. I would use the factory light, fill the black lines with modeling clay, wax it with mold release wax, spray it with PVA, make a fiberglass mold, remove the modeling clay and sell the factory lights, prefect the mold surface, make a fiberglass shell of the OE light via the mold, cut holes to fit lights of choice. If you want them frenched (recessed) like in the photo use pvc pipe, cardboard tube, or anything of the proper diameter to make the fiberglass depression for the light lens. You can either make the alterations for frenched lights to the mold, or the first product from the mold. If you have a mold of the exact product you want, you can apply jel-coat during the making of the product and it will come out ready for install. Same process for CF. So, do you need a custom shop to help you?
It sounds like you've worked in a body shop before. I've never done such work on anything before. So I think maybe I should leave it alone like 1funryd said. I was just thinking brighter lights would be great, and having a matte look to the lenses was nice.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Its hard to get the right look on our tail lights.

I personally do not like the Skyline tail light look on our square body.
So I leave it alone because it looks perfect the way it is now.
You know what Sean?

I agree. :emthup:

Those look out of place imo.
Well they actually look exactly what they are, just being different rather than better.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I agree. The red one in this thread and smokescreen's look good but the stock 90-91 tails look better. The quad round taillight does look better then flylwsi yellow single round taillight. IMHO

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
The only modified taillights I really like are the meticulous LED retrofits. I know it's been done with a couple of 5th gens, and I think someone has done this to a 3rd gen, but I can't remember who it was right now.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
lol!!!! What???? Jon are you sure??? lol!!!!:lol:
Oh fk!

Must have been the beer... lack of it!
:lol:

The only modified taillights I really like are the meticulous LED retrofits. I know it's been done with a couple of 5th gens, and I think someone has done this to a 3rd gen, but I can't remember who it was right now.
I'll show you mine when they get finished.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
what car is that Andrew?

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
That's an S2000 with an aftermarket/ custom? hardtop on it.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
that hard top is actually pretty popular i've seen alot of them around here.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
It's Spoon and not cheap, so that's somewhat surprising.

(I had to figure out whether or not the lack of side windows was normal before posting that... it seems they made 2 versions)

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
(I had to figure out whether or not the lack of side windows was normal before posting that... it seems they made 2 versions)
a version of that hardtop (which looks like two distinct sections)with side windows? Really?
What's the point?
I've never needed to look in that direction when driving a Skip. :lol:

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Yup. Still no clue which ones are actual Spoon and which ones are replicas. Buttt... I don't particularly care about that when Spoon is the same company that sells Momo steering wheels with blue stitching for twice the price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been doing draw ups and I love this open square design

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Yup. Still no clue which ones are actual Spoon and which ones are replicas. Buttt... I don't particularly care about that when Spoon is the same company that sells Momo steering wheels with blue stitching for twice the price.
:lol:
I used to supply short shifters (along with other stuff) that were 15% the price of DC just because the badge was missing from the box.
Badge-snobbery is a curious thing ;-)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts