Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the intercooler where I want it, but I need to cut the bumper a little so it can go back on.

Does anyone know why I have power steering lines running to this thing on my transmission. If so, what is the purpose of the part? I can"t tell by looking at it. Why would they need power steering connected to the speedometer cable?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I have the intercooler where I want it, but I need to cut the bumper a little so it can go back on.

Does anyone know why I have power steering lines running to this thing on my transmission. If so, what is the purpose of the part? I can"t tell by looking at it. Why would they need power steering connected to the speedometer cable?

<Homer voice>Mmmmm, turbo. </Homer voice>

That thing by the speedo cable is a valve for the speed sensitive steering. It increases the power steering assist at low speeds to make maneuvering easier.

C|

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cool. Thanks.
I have another question. What to do about the crank case breather, just put a filter on it? I don't think it would be a good thing to have pressure going into the block. I'd hate to have all those new seals start leaking. Input?

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
breather

I just put a breather on the rocker and put a pipe into the hole that goes into the oil catch can under the PCV and put a breather onto that as well, getting a DX breather can is easier as you can put a new tube into the existing hole and a breather onto that, not sure what the SI catch can a PCV is like i know the PCV is in the manifold rather than the Can on the DX. Doesn't have an issue with leaky seals just smells a bit from the oil air coming out into the engine bay. Can use a vaccum pump and suck it out to somewhere else or back into one runner or all 4 upto you if you want to burn that shit up into your engine. Having a vacuum inside the engine would help with leaking less and also rotational friction should in theory be less as inisde will be a vacuum but how much that would help no idea.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Just put a regular breather filter on the valve cover port. I believe the stock PCV system should work for boost. The PCV valve should act like a check valve so under boost is won't allow pressurized air back into the crankcase. It wouldn't be a big deal if it did let a little air back through since the case is vented through the valve cover anyway. You could also connect the PCV valve to the vacuum source that's supplying your brake booster instead of straight to the intake manifold.

C|

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...Just put a regular breather filter on the valve cover port....

...You could also connect the PCV valve to the vacuum source that's supplying your brake booster instead of straight to the intake manifold.

C|
I already have a breather filter on the valve cover port. The port I'm speaking of is the one in the side of the block. As far as I remember there was no type of PCV valve present when I rebuilt it.

My brake booster is connected to the intake manifold, but vaccume boosters have a check valve so no problem there. Maybe I can just put a one way valve on the breather also?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Hmm, this is where I'm not sure what is normally done with turbo setups. Are you supposed to run a vacuum accumulator for the brake booster? I was thinking maybe the boost would be an issue but maybe not with the check valve in there.

The port on the side of the block should go to a breather box. The breather box has a port on the bottom that returns to the oil pan and a port on top that goes through a tube to the PCV valve. The PCV valve then connects to manifold vacuum. I think the PCV valve should be able to handle boost pressure just as the brake booster check valve would. I was thinking that maybe you would have all the vacuum accessories go to a vacuum can and then have the vacuum can connect to the manifold through a check valve. Maybe hte can isn't needed though.

C|

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
you dont need to do anything to the booster unless you plan on braking while on full boost, ie there wont be boost when you brake because your foot isnt on the gas.

there should be a PCV valve on the block a box with a one way valve i have heard the way to do it is put a breather on the rocker cover and a oil catch can inline with the PCV hose to the intake manifold, i also believe you may have oiling problems if there is no vacume to the PCV on the crankcase.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you dont need to do anything to the booster unless you plan on braking while on full boost, ie there wont be boost when you brake because your foot isnt on the gas.

there should be a PCV valve on the block a box with a one way valve i have heard the way to do it is put a breather on the rocker cover and a oil catch can inline with the PCV hose to the intake manifold, i also believe you may have oiling problems if there is no vacume to the PCV on the crankcase.
The booster will be fine, it has a check valve. I guess I'll have to rig up some sort of vaccume reserve system like on turbo desils.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts