Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There may be something I missed but I wanna know what would happen if it was possible to fabricate a dual intake. One that ran one pipe to the front bumper as forced cold air and one that was short ram to get the best of both world. I say this because i want to avoid making holes in the hood for a proper ram air. Please be gentle I just wanna hear where I went wrong thinking this would be a decent idea

·
Registered
902 Posts
i think this has been covered already, do a search

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
A short ram doesn't really add any performance. A cold air intake can improve performance, but if you have a ram along with it I'd think you would be detracting from any gains the CAI would give you, if you are pulling air in from both at the same time. The ram doesn't pull in cold air, but instead pulls in hot engine bay air which does nothing for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought that the shorter the intake the more low end torque and the colder the air the better the high end. So while stationary and off the line the short ram would get air to the engine quick but while moving the forced cold air would be more over whelming then the short air. Not exactly a cold air intake more like the intakes on old muscles cars that was just a straight pipe from the bumper to the plenum.

·
Registered
488 Posts
it would just be pulling from the past with least resistance.

just do the cai on prelude3g.com heat wrap the pipe. if you really want to go all the way get those garolite thermo gaskets.

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
So is it completely irrational to have a dual intake set up.
Yes it is.

An intake really does not do much in the way of performance without it being combined with a good flowing header and full catback exhaust to match.

These upgrades really only free up existing horsepower vs add any horsepower.

So with all the effort in trying to set this dual system up, you are just better off with the typical CAI setup.

Now if you are looking for more power, then your only choices are:
  1. Nitrous
  2. Turbo Charging
  3. H22/23 swap
Cost effectivness wise, stick with the last two options, because rebuilding the B20a5 for NA is really not worth it dollar to power ratio.

·
Registered
428 Posts
^ this is what i will be doing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright straight cold air it is then cause I have a dc sport header and 2.5 in straight pipe exhaust. Anything else I should do while at it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts