Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've done a ton of searching on this and it seems the general idea is to just clean the egr valve and ports. The thing is, is that Honda already replaced my EGR valve and cleaned the EGR ports. They said if I get this error again that they may have to take the whole intake manifold off to completely clean it. I def. can't afford this, no way. The first time this happened I had a random cylinder misfire in #1.

Right now, my CEL is on but I have no symptoms(rough idling, stalling, etc.) Could it just be a blip in the system maybe? I was thinking since the cleaning procedure was already done, should I just reset the light and run some fuel system cleaner through? If the CEL comes back have someone look at it?

Thanks,

-Sean

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Maybe just clean the EGR ports yourself. Honda probably just didn't do a thorough job. It's easy. Takes less than an hour to do. Port plugs cost $3.00 for all 6, a can of carb cleaner is $5 and a set of nylon brushes is about $5, oh and a small slide hammer should be $10 or so. I had the same problem not too long ago. I got a random cylinder 1 misfire code and did a full tune up plus bought an Ignition Control Module ( cost me $250 all in all) only to figure out that it was just dirty EGR ports. 8(
EGR Port cleaning how to:
http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253704

·
Registered
581 Posts
Honda shouldve taken the mani off in the first place, hate to say it, but it sounds like u got shafted.

i had this problem a while back too and i didnt have any symptoms either, just a CEL, dont wait.

yeah, the write-up is really good at explaining the whole thing, shouldnt take too long and it should take care of any new codes.

Ace

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I feel comfortable cleaning the EGR valve, I know I can do that. I'm not too confident in doing the ports. Butl ets say I do the whole job and clean everything out. It's only a matter of time before it happens again. Are ther any more permanent solutions for this. It seems cleaning these things out would only bandaid the situation.

Also, is it absolutely necessary to get a new EGR valve gasket after putting it back on?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I feel comfortable cleaning the EGR valve, I know I can do that. I'm not too confident in doing the ports. Butl ets say I do the whole job and clean everything out. It's only a matter of time before it happens again. Are ther any more permanent solutions for this. It seems cleaning these things out would only bandaid the situation.

Also, is it absolutely necessary to get a new EGR valve gasket after putting it back on?
I have to do this to mine too. The best way to do it would be to pull off the intake mani. Flat rate for that is 3.8hrs at a shop. I am planning on just cleaning the ports this weekend and then pulling the manifold off this spring/summer for a complete cleaning that should last 100,000mi.
As for the gasket, I bought one (Honda part# 18715-PB2-000) it cost $4.13, just to have on hand in case I needed it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Cleaning the ports is EASY. I was intimidated by the job, until I started doing it. It's pretty simple. And yes, it's a band-aid fix, but how many miles does your car have? And this is the first time the ports need cleaned? It's not like you will have to do it again in 5000 miles. It will last quite a while.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna be nice, you may have not read my initial post.

Originally I brought in my car because I had a random cylinder misfire in #1. Honda scraped the carbon buildup out of the ports and installed a new EGR valve. So yes, it was already done and they did this the Summer of 07 I believe so it's been a year and a half about.

BTW, 141K.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I'm gonna be nice, you may have not read my initial post.

Originally I brought in my car because I had a random cylinder misfire in #1. Honda scraped the carbon buildup out of the ports and installed a new EGR valve. So yes, it was already done and they did this the Summer of 07 I believe so it's been a year and a half about.

BTW, 141K.
Well I'm gonna be nice because maybe you didn't read my post.
I'm saying that they probably didn't do a very good job when they cleaned it. You have to brush the carbon and then blow it all out with compressed air, which I doubt Honda did. They probably just scrape it and let it fall into your engine. So I think you should do it yourself. That way you know it was done right. What do you got to lose by cleaning the ports again? $20 for all the tools and an hour of time? BFD.
I'm saying I had a Random cyl.1 miss, and EGR ports were my problem. If you don't want to clean them, then start buying plugs, wires, cap,and rotor for your tune up. You need one if your at 141K anyway. And once you replace all that stuff and spend $130 you may still need to clean the EGR ports anyway. Like I said, I spent $250 on my tune up ($55 for wires, $50 for plugs, cap and rotor was like $20 or $30 and the ICM was $110) And although I needed the tune up, I could've waited if I had just cleaned the ports first. I'm just trying to save you some money, but you may need a tune up anyway, definately if it's never been done.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've kept up on the tune-ups since I've owned the car. I think I've done 3 tune-ups so far. I'm usually very religious with all the maintenance stuff. This is why I'm suprised the carbon buildup needs to be cleaned again but oh well.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Well if you don't need a tune-up, you don't need one. Really you are supposed to do them every 30k or 60k, I can't remember, but if it hasn't been that long, then.....
I'm still guessing that Honda didn't do a good job cleaning the EGR ports. So that they could get you to come back and hit you for double labor. Just because they are a dealership with certified technicians, doesn't mean they aren't out to bleed your pockets dry. That is why anything I can do myself, I do. I don't trust those assholes any farther than I can throw them.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice man. I'm gonna def. do the EGR valve for sure and maybe the ports. If I don't feel up to doing the ports I can have a mechanic do them for cheaper than the Stealership.

One question though. After I remove the EGR valve do I put throttle body cleaner/carb cleaner down that hole or just the EGR valve itself?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Both. You have to let it sit for like a half hour to break that shit up. But cleaning just the valve wont do alot of good. If you are getting a CEL, you probably need the ports done. The cel will just come back, if it goes away at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I'm gonna be nice because maybe you didn't read my post.
I'm saying that they probably didn't do a very good job when they cleaned it. You have to brush the carbon and then blow it all out with compressed air, which I doubt Honda did. They probably just scrape it and let it fall into your engine. So I think you should do it yourself. That way you know it was done right. What do you got to lose by cleaning the ports again? $20 for all the tools and an hour of time? BFD.
I'm saying I had a Random cyl.1 miss, and EGR ports were my problem. If you don't want to clean them, then start buying plugs, wires, cap,and rotor for your tune up. You need one if your at 141K anyway. And once you replace all that stuff and spend $130 you may still need to clean the EGR ports anyway. Like I said, I spent $250 on my tune up ($55 for wires, $50 for plugs, cap and rotor was like $20 or $30 and the ICM was $110) And although I needed the tune up, I could've waited if I had just cleaned the ports first. I'm just trying to save you some money, but you may need a tune up anyway, definately if it's never been done.

Hey guys-I'm new to the site and am doing an EGR port cleaning tomorrow. Eventually I need to get the rest of a 100K+ maintenance done, but for now Ineed to get my check engine light off! I'm going to tap the ports and put some set screws instead of plugs. Anyone know exactly what size it would take? I bought a tap set today, but it was SAE up to 1/2 inch. I am worried about how much shit I can get down into the manifold since there will be shavings from the drilling to get the old ports out, dislodged carbon and other crap (and carb cleaner), shavings from the tapping, etc. I'll try to keep it all from falling into the manifold, but I'm sure there will be some that gets in there. how much of a risk is that? I have no idea how to remove my intake manifold, so I'm hoping I can get it all done with it still in place. I really need to know the size of set screws (which I think would be best, but I could also use short machine screws). I dont' want any leaks, but I think it would be nice to have easier access next time they need to be cleaned. Any advice on screw size and keeping my engine from blowing up after this exercise???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys-I'm new to the site and am doing an EGR port cleaning tomorrow. Eventually I need to get the rest of a 100K+ maintenance done, but for now Ineed to get my check engine light off! I'm going to tap the ports and put some set screws instead of plugs. Anyone know exactly what size it would take? I bought a tap set today, but it was SAE up to 1/2 inch. I am worried about how much shit I can get down into the manifold since there will be shavings from the drilling to get the old ports out, dislodged carbon and other crap (and carb cleaner), shavings from the tapping, etc. I'll try to keep it all from falling into the manifold, but I'm sure there will be some that gets in there. how much of a risk is that? I have no idea how to remove my intake manifold, so I'm hoping I can get it all done with it still in place. I really need to know the size of set screws (which I think would be best, but I could also use short machine screws). I dont' want any leaks, but I think it would be nice to have easier access next time they need to be cleaned. Any advice on screw size and keeping my engine from blowing up after this exercise???
OK, so I'm considering completely removing my intake manifold and giving it a good cleaning. Are there any good references on doing this? I didn't find any write ups on it here by doing a search. If a simple EGR port cleaning takes 2-3 hours (for a novice, deep cleaning), how long would removing the IM, cleaning, etc. take? Again, if you can link me to a step by step, that would be great. I found one for the timing belt which I wish I could do, but I'm afraid Honda wll get that privlage!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was going to remove my IM to do a proper clean. The bolts on the top are ok but the ones underneath looked impossible for me to get to. I did the port clean as described in the 'how to' but used a claw hammer to pry the plugs out. I reused the old plugs and filled them with liquid metal. It's not too difficult and you will know the job has been do well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts