Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 prelude. I had an idea to pop the clock out of the dashboard, and install a gps unit there instead. My plan is to build a mount that can receive the gps unit, that will in turn fit where the clock once was.

How hard is it to get that clock out? I know it only has two clips, but is it difficult to pop that out?

Can I use the power source for the clock to power the GPS unit? Is there a way to modify this electrical line to power the unit or is it simply not possible?

Has anyone else tried this before?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
The clock is real easy to pop out. It will slide right out. As for the power source, not sure unless you take a meter and measure the power. I don't know how much power it takes to power your GPS and I can't remember how much power it takes to run the clock. It's been a while since I measured the power from it.

Good luck and I can't wait to see how this turns out.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
The clock power should be fine as long as the gps isn't too power-hungry, should tell you on the unit.
The clock is powered from the same 10A fuse as the radio and ECU.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'm with Guessman. I took my clock out and it was really easy, but I would measure the power on the clock power pins (not sure what it is probalby 12 v) and I would look at how much power it takes to run the GPS. Good luck with this.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
you could also tap your usb car adaptor in the back of the cigarrate ligther...and hide all the wiring....i'm sure the are long enough to reach the clock location

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
you could also tap your usb car adaptor in the back of the cigarrate ligther...and hide all the wiring....i'm sure the are long enough to reach the clock location
all removable gps has a charger that you can plug into the cigarette lighter. so shouldnt it be as easy as just cut the end off the charging plug and wire it into the lighter? or better yet,wire it to the positive on the radio so when you turn the key just 1 click, it automatically sends power to the gps instead of using the cigarette lighter because it would be constant power.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
all removable gps has a charger that you can plug into the cigarette lighter. so shouldnt it be as easy as just cut the end off the charging plug and wire it into the lighter? or better yet,wire it to the positive on the radio so when you turn the key just 1 click, it automatically sends power to the gps instead of using the cigarette lighter because it would be constant power.
x2
dont wanna kill your battery.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I have had my clock off like four years ago to replace the bezel with a brand new one as it was missing the p.o.s. little door seems like it was easy. But for a nice solid sturdy mount their is a big dash bolt in behind the clock if you made a deep sheetmetal bracket or fiberglass you could use that bolt.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just cut the power chord on the GPS unit, and I think I am in over my head. There are 10 individual wires inside. Green, blue, yellow, brown, black, brown (2), red, red (2), purple and a ground wire if it matters. An the power adapter it says "Replacement Fuse, F 3A H 250V, made in Taiwan :)tongue:)". It also says 12 V in another location. Any idea how I should attack this? I admit, I'm not an electrician. Also, if I tie it into the radio, what wires should I splice to what?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i hate when that happens.
try googling the power source to see if you can figure out what wires are for what.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
i wouldent do it if i were you with out someone to help you there If you start playing with wires you can fuck up the hole car. For example my explorer radio wires controls the radio and the head lights and ignition all the same wires

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, I cracked open the adapter plug from the end I clipped off. All the wires end at a connector which connects to this small circuit board. On the other end of the board, there is the standard positive and negative outputs. The output that goes to the center connector (at the tip of the plug), has a fuse that it passes through. So I now have a positive and negative. Would it be dangerous if I respliced all the wires back together, and ran a pos and neg line from the board, passing the positive through the fuse, wrap it all up in a terminal box under the dash board, and ran the positive (post fuse) and negative to the positive and negative on the radio?

Or am I going to have a nice toasty electrical fire. :thefinger_red:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
give it a try and let us know.
lol
if anything, youd probably just short out your gps.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like this is going to end with a trip to the local stereo installation guy. :down:

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Looks like this is going to end with a trip to the local stereo installation guy. :down:
what you need to do is put the plug back on the wires. the outside of the plug metal tang is ground. the top of the plug unscrews exposing the fuse. if you solder wire to the fuse and put it back together, then tape all exposed metal. then you can solder the ground wire to the tang on the outside and tape the entire plug. you now have the two wires that you can either run to your radio harness or power to fusebox with a fuse tap and ground the other wire to the dash support braces right next to it. the reason for all of the wires in the plug is that your gps probably has a voltage requirement of less than 12 volts. also if you completely open the plug up you might find that only a two of the wires are actually used at the plug. i am assuming the other end looks like a motorola cellphone plug. the other cord you have has a usb end on it for computer updates, but usb plug on your computer has a 12volt output.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
:blush:

Lol no i know what im doing when it comes to puting a radio in Im not saying im the best but you give me a radio i can put it in and the right way
My wires were cut and all fucked up and i had no book to see what color did what and i was testing wires and the lights burnt out and the truck started to turn over and try to start

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
:blush:

Lol no i know what im doing when it comes to puting a radio in Im not saying im the best but you give me a radio i can put it in and the right way
My wires were cut and all fucked up and i had no book to see what color did what and i was testing wires and the lights burnt out and the truck started to turn over and try to start
wow bro u can buy a honda stereo adapter for about 5.00

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
what you need to do is put the plug back on the wires. the outside of the plug metal tang is ground. the top of the plug unscrews exposing the fuse. if you solder wire to the fuse and put it back together, then tape all exposed metal. then you can solder the ground wire to the tang on the outside and tape the entire plug. you now have the two wires that you can either run to your radio harness or power to fusebox with a fuse tap and ground the other wire to the dash support braces right next to it. the reason for all of the wires in the plug is that your gps probably has a voltage requirement of less than 12 volts. also if you completely open the plug up you might find that only a two of the wires are actually used at the plug. i am assuming the other end looks like a motorola cellphone plug. the other cord you have has a usb end on it for computer updates, but usb plug on your computer has a 12volt output.
x2

x2

1 - 20 of 36 Posts