Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far there have been reports of 2 people with the jdm replicas melting on them..but the guy used PIAA 55w bulbs in them. Anyone else have any problems with these replica fogs? Even with the 35w bulb they give you with the order? How are 35w HID kits in the replicas? One guy said it survived his 1hour 20 minute drive, but very warm and it was raining..

oh yea, if anyone can help me... I'm having a hard time finding H3 yellow 35w bulbs..Even though I do have yellow lamin-x, I'm just waitin until i get bored of the clear look then i'll install them =P

(Yeah, I've searched alot)

·
Registered
406 Posts
i guess im on eof those guys...i been through hell in back in that shit.. i bought that liquid weld shit made my own housing the little clip that gives the ground just had to find a way around it. .i got 1 working n the other is still not working.. havent done the liquid weld shit to it yet

·
Registered
586 Posts
hmm.. interesting, as i was looking to buy one of these Replicas ones, which ironically there were none when i was buying., so i end up having to buy the real thing, which cost me some pretty big bucks.

anyways no problems here, and running mines with HID

if the replicas ones can't even handle a regular bulb, it'd definitely not be able to handle the HID mods... 'glad i got the real ones.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
to read in the Jdm fog thread, theres a guy in there and hes running hids in his reps without a problem.

pearl do you have any pics of the housing melted?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i really want some confirmation on this issue lol, so far one guy but im sure there are a lot of people rocking these replicas.. i wanna hear some issues if they have any! As i said in the other JDM foglight post. I was thinking about lining the inside with some aluminum foil? Will that protect the plastic housing? How would i adhere it to the housing though...hm

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
My lights are on everytime i drive day or night. No melting problem with stock bulbs. I dont think It'll melt but I'll be trying soon.

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,102 Posts
i really want some confirmation on this issue lol, so far one guy but im sure there are a lot of people rocking these replicas.. i wanna hear some issues if they have any! As i said in the other JDM foglight post. I was thinking about lining the inside with some aluminum foil? Will that protect the plastic housing? How would i adhere it to the housing though...hm

You're over thinking this too much. If you stick with 12v35w bulbs you will be fine. I have these replicas and use them everyday. It's finally spring so they're used in 30 degree weather, 40 degree weather, 50, 60, etc. Not a problem yet.

Also, 35w HID kits will be perfectly fine as well. These actually don't get as hot as regular halogen bulbs so in effect won't do much more.

As far as the foil heat liner: dumb idea. It will make them look awful (I'm assuming you're talking about lining the inside of the housing) and will trap all the heat inside the housing, possibly melting the front lens. I'm not going to even assume wrapping the housing with foil since that has its own implications.

The only thing making a bulb shroud would do would be to limit the amount of glare and focus all the light onto the reflector. The housings would still heat up as hot as before; you'd be simply putting an obstacle in the way of the heat flow. A metal shroud isn't some magical, crossdimensional heat transfer device. :lol:

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
you're over thinking this too much. If you stick with 12v35w bulbs you will be fine. I have these replicas and use them everyday. It's finally spring so they're used in 30 degree weather, 40 degree weather, 50, 60, etc. Not a problem yet.

Also, 35w hid kits will be perfectly fine as well. These actually don't get as hot as regular halogen bulbs so in effect won't do much more.

As far as the foil heat liner: Dumb idea. It will make them look awful (i'm assuming you're talking about lining the inside of the housing) and will trap all the heat inside the housing, possibly melting the front lens. I'm not going to even assume wrapping the housing with foil since that has its own implications.

The only thing making a bulb shroud would do would be to limit the amount of glare and focus all the light onto the reflector. The housings would still heat up as hot as before; you'd be simply putting an obstacle in the way of the heat flow. a metal shroud isn't some magical, crossdimensional heat transfer device. :lol:
what!?!?!?

But in all seriousness.... it shouldn't melt

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

one guy stated you had genuine JDM fogs, another guy stated you had replicas.. which is it...?

The genuine ones can use 55 watts and still wont melt.. the replicas are the ones in question.. so

Nude_lude said he has HIDS in his replicas and its so good so far... so thats +1

but also reports of greenbb6, pearlude99, messiah melting the replicas housing but they used 55w h3's

BUT... TheUrbanSkiMan used 35w bulbs in his replicas and they melted his housing also.... what gives?

So what's the answer, im sure im not the only one worried/speculating about this thats all lol, im scared to even use mine if thats how shitty it is =/

·
Registered
852 Posts
they are just saying it melts w/o proof so that people don't buy them!!!
I had mine on for an 1hr while I was parked, still holding up with the stock 35w. I got the JDM's cousin which is the replica.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
i say u put some aluminum foil around the base of the lightbulb and call it a day on the melting bullshit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i got 35w HID in my rep use them all the time no problems here...

·
Registered
94 Posts
they are just saying it melts w/o proof so that people don't buy them!!!
I had mine on for an 1hr while I was parked, still holding up with the stock 35w. I got the JDM's cousin which is the replica.
Yea were telling people they melt with out proof because i don't want them to get them:roll:

I will get pics when I get back home, running the 35w is best. I haven't had a problem with my new set.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ethereal, dont you have the REAL jdm fogs? In the Official post for fogs someone mentions that you have genuine JDM foglights.. and another guy said you had replicas.. so i dont know what you have..

I don't have the luxury to spend 300-400 dollars on new genuine JDM fogs =) I wish I did but some of the responses here helped me figure its all goood in the hood i.e.

SHspec lol good reasoning....I hate how people say this and that lol causes mass confusion/fear, but parking for an hour with them on and no damages sounds A OK with me lol and galvy with the HIDS on the replicas.. another ++ Thanks guys!! exactly what needed to be said!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts