Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone who ordered any installed em(it) yet? id like to see what you guys think and if it was worth it...i just did mine this weekend with a stage1 clutch exedy clutch kit. 30miles on it so far and i can barely help myself from "abusing" it. ..i got like 470more to go...man i need some sedation.

anywayz i got some pics that ima post later if anyone cares( old fly/clutch and new shit).
before this the pedal felt like it wasnt even hydraulic...damn i love hydraulic clutches...nicely self adjustable, no rotating screws and manually adjustments, it feels WAY smoother now and has an insane grip as the fly is also 5.5lbs lighter it makes quite a damn diffrence .specially when taking off im trying to be as gentle as possible with it so i dont burn it off.
also when i did my timing yesterday i marked the distribuitor prior to this and the mark was advanced...i had to retard the timing at ~800rpm about 5mm from the mark on the distribuitor/head. but she sounds the same and sorta feels slightly more powerfull no engine noise knocks so im pretty sure the timing is good (on the dot 15btdc), wonder if this is casue of the lighter flywheel.....

·
Rep me if you hate my ass
4,348 Posts
I'm interested! I care! I think we've all seen a flywheel before, so I don't really give a damn about pictures, but post 'em anyway.

So you're happy with it, then? You don't think 15 lbs was still too heavy?

--J

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Import_Tuna said:
I'm interested! I care! I think we've all seen a flywheel before, so I don't really give a damn about pictures, but post 'em anyway.

So you're happy with it, then? You don't think 15 lbs was still too heavy?

--J
love your sarcasm...but hey i ment the old fly was worn down to a fuckin groove!!
and no i think 15lbs is juicy enough (16.1actually) the car still runs at idle in first gear..even 2nd :D, engine response is Greatly increased and rpm do drop a little quicker.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
when you set your timing, did you jumper the plug above the vacuum box? cuz if you didnt, that would be why it was off. or it wasnt jumpered the last time it was set...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
motoxxxman said:
when you set your timing, did you jumper the plug above the vacuum box? cuz if you didnt, that would be why it was off. or it wasnt jumpered the last time it was set...
oh fuck..forgot to do ..that....shit...no wonder the timing kept jumping a few degrees up and down while i was setting it...< stuped

but hey the car stil seems to run strong and nice..and good..wtf is it with these cars....i can retard the timing all the way or advance it all the way and the bitch still runs pretty strong..cant really tell the diffrence.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
I know sarcasm and IT wasn't using any !

BTW my 8lbs fly still lets the car 'run at idle' as well.

The flywheel should have made no difference to the ignition timing in any way.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
scyclone said:
but hey the car stil seems to run strong and nice..and good..wtf is it with these cars....i can retard the timing all the way or advance it all the way and the bitch still runs pretty strong..cant really tell the diffrence.
The yellow 88 I had was retarded quite a bit and I could tell the difference. It's torque was nice but it had very little top end. It dyno'd at 94hp but still ran 17.1 in the 1/4.

I wasn't able to redyno or take it back to the track after I fixed the timing but it pulled A LOT harder. ;) :emthup:

·
4,348 Posts
88SE Lude said:
I know sarcasm and IT wasn't using any !
Now THAT is the truth.

So, would you say the benefits outweigh the cost? As we've already discussed, pretty much our only other option was UR's ridiculously-priced flywheel that was only a few pounds lighter. Also, you kept that flywheel even though somebody cocked up and gave you one that was heavier than specified? You must have been working within a limited time window. I don't think I would have kept it. I mean, for the sake of a little more time and another pound or so...

--J

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
umm yeah..the timing was just a TAD bid advanced...it was fine though anywayz it seems to have more juice if its slightly advanced in top and bottom end.
and yes thereason why i kep the flywheels is cause i had alredy gotten a stage 1 exedy kit for like 50bucks (discount :D) and i wasnt gonna go off and buy a whole new kit(integra one) that would come with a 3-4lb lighter flywheel...i was like fuck it i still have alot of mods left to do and i plan on boostin as soon as i get a few more grand saved up. but till then the old clutch wouldna held up and NO i dont wanna drive the jag...
and yes..breaking clutches in SUX!!

·
4,348 Posts
I see why you didn't want to wait. I probably would have waited but that's only because my Prelude isn't my daily driver.

Brutal. Now LSD's site says all 88-91 Prelude flywheels are 16 pounds. Too bad Tony doesn't have a freakin' scale...

--J

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
hmm..70miles on the new clutch and there alredy seems to some sort of a problem, during release the pedal makes some sort of a short pop metal crackle sound , i sure hope its the ratracting spring off the fork , but my dad thinks i could be the pressure plate also , God i hope NOT!! cause since i washed out the bellhousing REAL good the spring could have rusted and might be making that noise ima try to spray some wd40 on it see if i can make it go away , but i sure hope i wont get any on the flywheel :p.

i was also wondering if its a good idea to spray some sort of a degreaser stuff inside the timing hole.to clean up the residue off the fly/pressure plate , u knwo im talkin about stuff like electrical cleaner or somtn ...NON flamable and highly degreasant, drys out anything.

Section
Number
Building/
Room
DaysStarting
Time
Starting
Date
Credit
Hours
StatusSeats
Avail.
Special
Notes
3861J 138TR0130P102420063.00Open32Prerequisite Required8870M 207W0615P102520063.00Open34Prerequisite RequiredM 207S0830AOpen8871M 207TR0630P102420063.00Open34Prerequisite Required8876[email protected] BMCMW0630P103020063.00Open32Prerequisite Required

oh and another thing...are our clutch system adjustable do you have to adjust it after you put in a new clutch kit? or are they self adjustable? i get the general idea of how master/slave cylinder hydraulic clutches work but besides that...can u manually adjust em and should you?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts